Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
General Suspect Discussion: How about the "Bad Cop" ??? - by jerryd 54 minutes ago.
Doctors and Coroners: Baxter's influence on Ripper lore - by Joshua Rogan 1 hour and 10 minutes ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - by RockySullivan 1 hour and 14 minutes ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - by RockySullivan 1 hour and 17 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: How about the "Bad Cop" ??? - by The Station Cat 1 hour and 24 minutes ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - by Abby Normal 1 hour and 26 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - (16 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - (3 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: How about the "Bad Cop" ??? - (2 posts)
Kosminski, Aaron: My theory on Kosminski - (2 posts)
Doctors and Coroners: Baxter's influence on Ripper lore - (2 posts)
Non-Fiction: Elizabeth Stride and Jack the Ripper: The Life and Death of the Reputed Third Victim. - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Maybrick, James

Old 08-02-2017, 12:24 PM
Commisioner

Hi All,

I hope that a copy of the bogus Hitler Diaries is being thrown in as part of the deal

Regards,

Simon
Old 08-02-2017, 07:41 PM
Chief Inspector

Well, mine is purchased, and I'm looking forward to it. Getting to see the hand-writing should be worth it, even if the Diarist's prose is awful.

Besides, I deserve some little reward for slogging through this thread and trying to read the official reports by the analysists.
---------------
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:18 AM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orsam View Post
I must say I didn't think it was Adam's words - I thought he was reproducing a summary of the book from the publishers.

I've seen the exact same question asked on these boards to suggest that because no-one has been able to prove who forged it (and when and how) that this strongly suggests the diary is genuine. I feel very confident that this is exactly what is being suggested here too. I'm fairly sure it's a rhetorical question.
As Jonathan has said, Adam Wood is the publisher of the book.

People make lots of claims on the message boards and the claim that the diary is genuine because nobody has identified who forged it is seriously flawed thinking. Why attribute it to Adam, who isn't noted for promoting daft ideas. Maybe the best thing to do is wait until the book is published, then one can read what is actually said and kick the stuffing out of it from a position of knowledge.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:13 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
People make lots of claims on the message boards and the claim that the diary is genuine because nobody has identified who forged it is seriously flawed thinking. Why attribute it to Adam, who isn't noted for promoting daft ideas. Maybe the best thing to do is wait until the book is published, then one can read what is actually said and kick the stuffing out of it from a position of knowledge.
Those are the very two things I didn't do Paul! I didn't attribute the question to Adam (I took it as being part of the book blurb, deliberately not using the "quote" function to quote Adam in #7 - I didn't know who wrote it, and I still can't be sure he did) and I deliberately didn't make any comments about the book (or kick the stuffing out if it), only about the internal content of the blurb that Adam posted.

Within that blurb is a question:
"If it was a hoax, why hasnít the proof of who forged it, and how and when, been forthcoming over the course of a quarter of a century?"

It doesn't matter whether this question is also asked in the book, it is being asked in the blurb. It's clearly a rhetorical question. It could only not be rhetorical if the book is going to tell us that the diary IS a hoax and is going to explain why the proof of who forged it, how and when, hasn't been forthcoming (until now). We know it's not going to do that. And, as you've said, as a rhetorical question, it is "seriously flawed thinking". My point is therefore valid.

I might add that you were the one speculating that this question is going to be answered in the book, not me! But if we are to be told in the book that the diary definitively was "a genuine Victorian document", written circa 1888/89, then the question, as asked, is superfluous. The answer is obvious! So why ask it?

Anyway, I did subsequently say that Adam (who I agree is not noted for promoting daft ideas) could clarify the issue if he wants to and he hasn't, which is up to him, but I think I am entitled to comment on the quality and internal logic of the blurb, which is all I have done.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:28 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
I suspect that it would be rather a long read, too.
They could call it "They All Love the False Facts of Jack."

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888
Old 08-03-2017, 12:14 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
They could call it "They All Love the False Facts of Jack."
Please tell me you didn't spend too long thinking that one up?

Old 08-03-2017, 12:16 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
As Jonathan has said, Adam Wood is the publisher of the book.

I think we'll all find that it's a rather shameless facsimile of the original designed to make Smith a few bob. I doubt there's anything earth-shattering in there. Personally, I'll be quite happy with my facsimile. I'll put it next to my replica Jules Rimet trophy.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:17 PM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
Please tell me you didn't spend too long thinking that one up?

However long, it was too long

Decimus Iunius Iuvenalis - Satire III
Old 08-03-2017, 12:19 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orsam View Post
Et cetera ...
Hey Davie Boy - as a regular proper publisher 'an all of books and that, would you have sold your soul and created the facsimile if you'd had the chance?

You could have got a nice little weekend in Bognor out of it, and nothing wrong with that say I.

Last edited by Iconoclast : 08-03-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:29 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
Hey Davie Boy - as a regular proper publisher 'an all of books and that, would you have sold your soul and craeted the facsimile if you'd had the chance?

You could have got a nice little weekend in Bognor out of it, and nothing wrong with that say I.
I'm really not a "proper publisher" and I think the blurb is promising more than a mere facsimile of the diary text. The promise of a definitive answer as to when the diary was written, for example. As to the facsimile, it sounds like a high quality reproduction but I personally doubt I would be able to extract much useful information from "the variation of ink flows and pressures, the blots and blemishes, and the shade of the ink", even from the original.