Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Debra A 1 minute ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Sam Flynn 12 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Abby Normal 30 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Was Jack caught by London underworld? - by Elamarna 47 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Debra A 59 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Was Jack caught by London underworld? - by Mayerling 1 hour and 4 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (40 posts)
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - (20 posts)
Martha Tabram: Probibility of Martha Tabram Being a JtR Victim - (8 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Was Jack caught by London underworld? - (7 posts)
Non-Ripper Books by Ripper Authors: Mob Town by John Bennett - (3 posts)
General Discussion: Jack's early inspiration? - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Victims > Non-Canonical Victims > Martha Tabram

Old 08-24-2017, 08:16 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
I'm glad you say "looks like", Jon, because that doesn't indicate which order the wounds were inflicted - ALL the wounds were caused during life. That aside, I still struggle with the idea of his using two knives, one 37 times and the other only once.
Your struggle hasn't gone unnoticed Sam, although my post citing the problems with a single assailant and 2 knives surely has.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:25 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Guy View Post
Killeen does mention the abrasion to her scalp, Curious
didn't see that. Thanks, Jon.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 02:49 PM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Killeen states that the wound to her heart was sufficient to cause death.
He didn't say it was sufficient to cause instant death, though. I'm not being picky, by the way: being stabbed in the heart would almost certainly be fatal, but it need not kill a person right away. Indeed, it's even possible to survive.

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Old 10-11-2017, 02:34 PM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael W Richards View Post
A question I raised very early in this thread is that of the question of 2 weapons. I believe that Ive read that multiple stab wounds with more than one weapon is often result of the failure of the first weapon used and another weapon being chosen based on ready availability, not because the attacker had 2 weapons from the start.

Unless we have some wound that reflects that the smaller pen knife broke during the attack, the likelihood that the same offender used another weapon that was not available at the scene is lessened.
Straight off I should say that I think poor Martha Tabram was probably a ripper victim. That colours my response to your question. A possible explanation for two weapons is that he was trying things out. The penknife type blade (easier to carry and explain away if caught carrying) was insufficient and so he used a second, which worked better for him. I do not know if the one mutilation recorded (as opposed to the 39 stab wounds) was using the smaller or larger blade (vagina cutting).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael W Richards View Post
We also have evidence that a soldier questioned near the site of the attack said he was waiting for a buddy who went off with a girl, so it seems soldiers were travelling in pairs that night. Which is a reasonable explanation for 2 weapons being readily available at the scene.
I am sure the soldiers were in pairs or small groups during the night - but would have separated for sex. Your proposition is not unreasonable but not the only possibility.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:42 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by etenguy View Post
Straight off I should say that I think poor Martha Tabram was probably a ripper victim. That colours my response to your question. A possible explanation for two weapons is that he was trying things out. The penknife type blade (easier to carry and explain away if caught carrying) was insufficient and so he used a second, which worked better for him. I do not know if the one mutilation recorded (as opposed to the 39 stab wounds) was using the smaller or larger blade (vagina cutting).

I am sure the soldiers were in pairs or small groups during the night - but would have separated for sex. Your proposition is not unreasonable but not the only possibility.
HI Etenguy
I agree re the knives (if he did indeed use two different ones on her).and I also think she was a ripper victim(raised skirt is the clincher for me).

I think the ripper was probably accustomed to carrying around a pen knife-at least in the beginning.

I think Annie Millwood was probably the first, or early victim, and he attacked her with the pen knife he was used to carrying around.

figured out it wasn't big enough to do the trick and then got a second larger knife that would. and had both these on him when he attacked Tabram.

just my speculation of course.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 10-12-2017, 11:27 PM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
HI Etenguy
I agree re the knives (if he did indeed use two different ones on her).and I also think she was a ripper victim(raised skirt is the clincher for me).
Yes, the similarities are striking, though of course the lack of having her throat cut and extensive mutilations talks against it - but could be explained as an early killing while his method was being refined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
I think the ripper was probably accustomed to carrying around a pen knife-at least in the beginning.

I think Annie Millwood was probably the first, or early victim, and he attacked her with the pen knife he was used to carrying around.

figured out it wasn't big enough to do the trick and then got a second larger knife that would. and had both these on him when he attacked Tabram.

just my speculation of course.
That makes sense. I do not know a lot about the Annie Millwood attack, but the little I know supports your theory, but is far from conclusive.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:50 PM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by etenguy View Post
Yes, the similarities are striking, though of course the lack of having her throat cut and extensive mutilations talks against it - but could be explained as an early killing while his method was being refined.
He refined his technique pretty quickly, if that was the case, shifting his focus from the upper abdomen and chest to the lower abdomen, and from multiple frenzied stabs to long, deep incisions, with savage cuts to the throat.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:05 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
He refined his technique pretty quickly, if that was the case, shifting his focus from the upper abdomen and chest to the lower abdomen, and from multiple frenzied stabs to long, deep incisions, with savage cuts to the throat.
Multiple stabs to the throat is not that far removed from sawing his way around the neck.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:48 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Multiple stabs to the throat is not that far removed from sawing his way around the neck.
I see it as very far removed. It's certainly less efficient than a swift, deep cut. Besides, the cutting of the throat was the cause of death in the Ripper murders, but in Tabram's case the throat wounds were secondary and entirely superfluous.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:29 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
I see it as very far removed. It's certainly less efficient than a swift, deep cut. Besides, the cutting of the throat was the cause of death in the Ripper murders, but in Tabram's case the throat wounds were secondary and entirely superfluous.
Taking on your points, the killer has therefore learnt that 39 stabs takes a lot of energy, and cutting the throat is a quick and silent method of despatch.