Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Paddy 38 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - by John Wheat 2 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by John Wheat 2 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Wickerman 9 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Robert St Devil 10 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Wickerman 11 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - (10 posts)
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - (3 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: Centenaries - whole and half - (2 posts)
General Police Discussion: Police Orders 1st October 1888 - (1 posts)
General Police Discussion: J Division Fixed Point Whitechapel Station? - (1 posts)
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Other Mysteries

Old 08-14-2017, 12:48 PM
Chief Inspector

Default New TV documentary series on the Son of Sam killings

https://www.investigationdiscovery.c...-for-a-killer/

I've been watching a television documentary series on the .44 Killer, aka as the Son of Sam Killer, about the New York murders in the 1970s by David Berkowitz.

Series title is Son of Sam: The Hunt for a Killer, it airs here on the cable channel Investigation Discovery, but could turn up on the regular Discovery channel later, I suppose. It is well-done, and interesting, with many cops, detectives, witnesses, and family members of victims offering their memories and insights.

Episode 2, "The Killer Speaks" includes an interview with the still-imprisoned Berkowitz, who claims he was under the control of a demon when he killed and wounded those people. He was eager to talk about anything but the murders.
I was struck by what a harmless man he seems now.

Good series so far. Recommended if you have an interest in these serial murders.
---------------
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:02 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcdunn View Post
https://www.investigationdiscovery.c...-for-a-killer/

I've been watching a television documentary series on the .44 Killer, aka as the Son of Sam Killer, about the New York murders in the 1970s by David Berkowitz.

Series title is Son of Sam: The Hunt for a Killer, it airs here on the cable channel Investigation Discovery, but could turn up on the regular Discovery channel later, I suppose. It is well-done, and interesting, with many cops, detectives, witnesses, and family members of victims offering their memories and insights.

Episode 2, "The Killer Speaks" includes an interview with the still-imprisoned Berkowitz, who claims he was under the control of a demon when he killed and wounded those people. He was eager to talk about anything but the murders.
I was struck by what a harmless man he seems now.

Good series so far. Recommended if you have an interest in these serial murders.
HI PC

Son of Sam was under the spell of a demon all right-jealousy. He is one of the rarest of serial killers-the thrill killer.. sub type-Lovers lane killer.
Him, Zodiac and the monster of Florence all fall within this category IMHO.
Losers who hate the world, and are sexually and romantically frustrated which is why the majority of there victims are lovers in the act.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 08-14-2017, 11:16 PM
Chief Inspector

Thanks for the info, Abby.

Would it surprise you to learn that Berkowitz is supposedly a "born-again" Christian now? He is happiest doing his work in the library or sitting in the chapel.

Apparently there was nothing unusual about Berkowitz until he did his military service. People who knew him said he came back to civilian life as a "different person" than he had been. Do you think some men get to like the power killing gives them, and can't stop afterwards?
---------------
Old 08-15-2017, 02:04 AM
Inspector

Cheers for that Pat. I'll give it a go.

Herlock

"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact!"
Old 08-15-2017, 06:24 PM
Detective

Quote:
Apparently there was nothing unusual about Berkowitz until he did his military service. People who knew him said he came back to civilian life as a "different person" than he had been. Do you think some men get to like the power killing gives them, and can't stop afterwards?
He was never in combat, though. He was a garrison soldier in South Korea.

FWIW, I was 16 that summer, and my friends and I were irrationally terrified by the .44 calibre killings. We were in rural Indiana, but something about this caught everyone's attention, and we honestly worried that it might, somehow, happen here too.
Old 09-04-2017, 12:00 PM
Cadet

I was in San Francisco at the time and I was unreasonably worried about copycat killings.
I don't know why, it's not like I was parked in secluded areas with girls at the age of thirteen.
Old 09-04-2017, 12:09 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Thanks for the info, Abby.

Would it surprise you to learn that Berkowitz is supposedly a "born-again" Christian now? He is happiest doing his work in the library or sitting in the chapel.

Maybe, but at the very least it gives them experience with weapons and how to use them.

As for berkawitz being a born again Christian, I've heard that before but it doesn't impress me, as he has told so many lies and done so much evil, only god knows if he's truly repented . I don't nor do I care. He can rot in hell for all I care. And if there was still a death penalty that's where he'd be now.
I know not very Christian, but then again I'm just a hopeless sinner and fall far short of the glory of god.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline