Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Paddy 38 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - by John Wheat 2 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by John Wheat 2 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Wickerman 9 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Robert St Devil 10 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Wickerman 11 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - (10 posts)
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - (3 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: Centenaries - whole and half - (2 posts)
General Police Discussion: Police Orders 1st October 1888 - (1 posts)
General Police Discussion: J Division Fixed Point Whitechapel Station? - (1 posts)
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Other Mysteries

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-14-2017, 12:48 PM
Pcdunn Pcdunn is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,532
Default New TV documentary series on the Son of Sam killings

https://www.investigationdiscovery.c...-for-a-killer/

I've been watching a television documentary series on the .44 Killer, aka as the Son of Sam Killer, about the New York murders in the 1970s by David Berkowitz.

Series title is Son of Sam: The Hunt for a Killer, it airs here on the cable channel Investigation Discovery, but could turn up on the regular Discovery channel later, I suppose. It is well-done, and interesting, with many cops, detectives, witnesses, and family members of victims offering their memories and insights.

Episode 2, "The Killer Speaks" includes an interview with the still-imprisoned Berkowitz, who claims he was under the control of a demon when he killed and wounded those people. He was eager to talk about anything but the murders.
I was struck by what a harmless man he seems now.

Good series so far. Recommended if you have an interest in these serial murders.
__________________
Pat D.
---------------
Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
---------------
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-14-2017, 01:02 PM
Abby Normal Abby Normal is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,438
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcdunn View Post
https://www.investigationdiscovery.c...-for-a-killer/

I've been watching a television documentary series on the .44 Killer, aka as the Son of Sam Killer, about the New York murders in the 1970s by David Berkowitz.

Series title is Son of Sam: The Hunt for a Killer, it airs here on the cable channel Investigation Discovery, but could turn up on the regular Discovery channel later, I suppose. It is well-done, and interesting, with many cops, detectives, witnesses, and family members of victims offering their memories and insights.

Episode 2, "The Killer Speaks" includes an interview with the still-imprisoned Berkowitz, who claims he was under the control of a demon when he killed and wounded those people. He was eager to talk about anything but the murders.
I was struck by what a harmless man he seems now.

Good series so far. Recommended if you have an interest in these serial murders.
HI PC

Son of Sam was under the spell of a demon all right-jealousy. He is one of the rarest of serial killers-the thrill killer.. sub type-Lovers lane killer.
Him, Zodiac and the monster of Florence all fall within this category IMHO.
Losers who hate the world, and are sexually and romantically frustrated which is why the majority of there victims are lovers in the act.
__________________
"Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe


"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-14-2017, 11:16 PM
Pcdunn Pcdunn is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,532
Default

Thanks for the info, Abby.

Would it surprise you to learn that Berkowitz is supposedly a "born-again" Christian now? He is happiest doing his work in the library or sitting in the chapel.

Apparently there was nothing unusual about Berkowitz until he did his military service. People who knew him said he came back to civilian life as a "different person" than he had been. Do you think some men get to like the power killing gives them, and can't stop afterwards?
__________________
Pat D.
---------------
Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
---------------
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-15-2017, 02:04 AM
Herlock Sholmes Herlock Sholmes is offline
Inspector
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: The West Midlands
Posts: 1,126
Default

Cheers for that Pat. I'll give it a go.
__________________
Regards

Herlock






"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact!"
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-15-2017, 06:24 PM
Ginger Ginger is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 458
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcdunn View Post
Apparently there was nothing unusual about Berkowitz until he did his military service. People who knew him said he came back to civilian life as a "different person" than he had been. Do you think some men get to like the power killing gives them, and can't stop afterwards?
He was never in combat, though. He was a garrison soldier in South Korea.

FWIW, I was 16 that summer, and my friends and I were irrationally terrified by the .44 calibre killings. We were in rural Indiana, but something about this caught everyone's attention, and we honestly worried that it might, somehow, happen here too.
__________________
- Ginger
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-04-2017, 12:00 PM
Lord Allen Lord Allen is offline
Cadet
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2
Default

I was in San Francisco at the time and I was unreasonably worried about copycat killings.
I don't know why, it's not like I was parked in secluded areas with girls at the age of thirteen.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-04-2017, 12:09 PM
Abby Normal Abby Normal is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,438
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcdunn View Post
Thanks for the info, Abby.

Would it surprise you to learn that Berkowitz is supposedly a "born-again" Christian now? He is happiest doing his work in the library or sitting in the chapel.

Apparently there was nothing unusual about Berkowitz until he did his military service. People who knew him said he came back to civilian life as a "different person" than he had been. Do you think some men get to like the power killing gives them, and can't stop afterwards?
Maybe, but at the very least it gives them experience with weapons and how to use them.

As for berkawitz being a born again Christian, I've heard that before but it doesn't impress me, as he has told so many lies and done so much evil, only god knows if he's truly repented . I don't nor do I care. He can rot in hell for all I care. And if there was still a death penalty that's where he'd be now.
I know not very Christian, but then again I'm just a hopeless sinner and fall far short of the glory of god.
__________________
"Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe


"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.