No announcement yet.

"Of" and "have"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't much like silly pronunciations of straightforward words. I've heard even police officers allude to "burgle ree" instead of burglary. Anonymity pronounced as "anomynity" is another.

Unnecessary insertion of the word "like" into conversation is on the increase:-
    "I was like telling him this and then he like said". What does it signify? It doesn't add anything to the meaning.

Inserting "you know" to avoid hesitation is annoying and I've caught myself doing it on occasions. Sportsmen do it a lot in TV interviews, in the UK anyway. They also start sentences with "Credit" and don't seem to know of the existence of the words "did" and "well":
    "Credit to United. They done great".
    I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

"Like" and "you know" are both amongst the most ubiquitous of fillers out there now. I think they actually should qualify as non-fluencies due to their lack of real structure and unconscious use. I have a friend who uses "you know" so often it makes me mental, sometimes two or three times in a single sentence which can add up to 20 in two minute conversation, and every time I speak to her, I use "you know" for days. Very annoying and contagious. Insidious, even.

Let all Oz be agreed;
      I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

I've heard BBC reporters refer to 'somethink' and seen 'fullfil' on the rolling text on News 24. Could that be grounds for a reimbursal of my licence fee?

Comment

I came across a review of a (presumably self-published) book on amazon earlier today.

Not quite misuse of grammar as much as hilarious inappropriate spellings.

I was constantly irritated by poor spelling and grammar which interfered with a basically decent story. I ended up keeping score of the errors!Perhaps the Romans did soak their campaign maps ('pouring' over them). Maybe they even wore punishment trousers ('breeches' of discipline)but I doubt it.

It made me laugh,

Phil

Comment

I have today been reminded of some other cliches that often get "garbled":

The old Latin tag - infra dig (infra dignatum - beneath one's dignity) ) once heard on a bus as being "in for a dig". Like dig in the ribs maybe?

One fell swoop becomes one foul sweep!!!

And "Lay on Macduff" (Macbeth) - an invitation to fight is transmogrified into "Lead on Macduff" an invitation to go first.

All I suspect HEARD and repeated (incorrectly) rather than READ and understood.

Phil

Comment

Working...
            X