Mary Ann Connelly -- of America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary Ann Connelly -- of America

This week, I found a great book "1886 Professional Criminals of America" which I naturally had to have.

Once I got it home and looked at the back cover, I found a photo of a Mary Ann Connelly with a bio of her inside.

Now, I don't believe it is THE Mary Ann Connelly of London, but it was a great coincidence and I wanted to share it.

I have not yet had the opportunity to really dig into the book, which has chapters on Hotel and Boarding House Thieves, Bank Burglars, Bank Sneak Thieves, Confidence and Banco Men, Frauds in Horse Sales, Tricks of Sawdust Men, Opium Habit and its Consequences, Adventurers and Adventuresses, and Fugitives from Justice in several states, etc.

Here's hoping I can figure out how to load these photos.
    Attached Files

Looks like an interesting book!
    dustymiller
    aka drstrange

Comment

Interesting find
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
        Interesting find
        It was in a warehouse with about 100,000 books for a sale that benefits our local library. Books are donated every year by local folks. Can't help wondering who had it in their library -- and what other interesting books are out there.

I think it'll be very interesting when I have time to dip into it.

Comment

Originally posted by curious View Post
          It was in a warehouse with about 100,000 books for a sale that benefits our local library. Books are donated every year by local folks. Can't help wondering who had it in their library -- and what other interesting books are out there.

I think it'll be very interesting when I have time to dip into it.
          I love those sales but I am an absolute book nut, or even just a nut.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

I love those sales but I am an absolute book nut, or even just a nut.
            They're great. I go the last day (a bag of books for $2) and load up on reading material for a year, then donate them back to the library for next year's sale.

This book, however, I discovered when I went before the sale to take some pictures for the story.

I did something I've never done before -- showed up just before the doors opened the first day of the sale, rushed straight to it and paid 2 whole dollars for it. :-)

Comment

They're great. I go the last day (a bag of books for $2) and load up on reading material for a year, then donate them back to the library for next year's sale.

This book, however, I discovered when I went before the sale to take some pictures for the story.

I did something I've never done before -- showed up just before the doors opened the first day of the sale, rushed straight to it and paid 2 whole dollars for it. :-)
              Our local Uni also has one every 2nd year, in fact I THINK it might be this year, must almost own the place by now with how much we've spent, fills the great hall of the Uni, runs for a week as the wheel in more boxes every day. They then spend the next two years gathering and sorting more donations.
              G U T

Comment

Our local Uni also has one every 2nd year, in fact I THINK it might be this year, must almost own the place by now with how much we've spent, fills the great hall of the Uni, runs for a week as the wheel in more boxes every day. They then spend the next two years gathering and sorting more donations.
                Many Treasures to be found. And they can't do that with electronic books . . . So, while I love my Kindle, I do see drawbacks.

Comment

Many Treasures to be found. And they can't do that with electronic books . . . So, while I love my Kindle, I do see drawbacks.
                  I don't like Kindle.

But I know a few Authors who love the thought of the death of "Real" books, because they don't get a Zac for the sale of their book secondhand.
                  G U T

Comment

I don't like Kindle.

But I know a few Authors who love the thought of the death of "Real" books, because they don't get a Zac for the sale of their book secondhand.
                    As a writer, I understand that viewpoint.

But it's short-sighted. With real books, a writer might become someone's favorite many years after the author is dead and gone and real books are passed down through generations of readers. With printed books, a writer has a sort of immortality.

If the writer got paid even one time for it, he did better than many writers ever do. However, my son is an actor and I know how excited he gets when a residual check arrives in the mail . . .

Comment

As a writer, I understand that viewpoint.

But it's short-sighted. With real books, a writer might become someone's favorite many years after the author is dead and gone and real books are passed down through generations of readers. With printed books, a writer has a sort of immortality.

If the writer got paid even one time for it, he did better than many writers ever do. However, my son is an actor and I know how excited he gets when a residual check arrives in the mail . . .
                      Mrs Gut has had a few things published she gets a real buzz when she sees something in a second hand store, says at least it proves someone bought it and thought it was worth not tossing.
                      G U T

Comment

Mrs Gut has had a few things published she gets a real buzz when she sees something in a second hand store, says at least it proves someone bought it and thought it was worth not tossing.
                        two people actually -- the person who purchased it and the owner of the shop offering it for sale. It would not be allowed to take up space if it didn't have possible value.

Comment

two people actually -- the person who purchased it and the owner of the shop offering it for sale. It would not be allowed to take up space if it didn't have possible value.
                          True ill tell her that.

Your boy must be doing OK in the acting game if he's getting residuals.
                          G U T

Comment

"All in all, Professional Criminals of America is a gas" ... Apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by Azarna View Post
                              "All in all, Professional Criminals of America is a gas" ... Apparently.
                              So it says. I'm reserving judgement.

Comment

Working...
                              X