No announcement yet.

Jane Coram's pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are a few odds and sods that aren't all specifically Ripper, but might be of interest.

The first two of paintings of the passageways inside the old Clerkenwell Prison

Next two are a couple of a poor sod in Newgate.........not a happy bunny.......

Back of George Yard Buildings......obviously a pencil sketch!

Stairwell of George Yard Buildings.... ditto. Both taken from old photos.
    Attached Files
    I'm not afraid of heights, swimming or love - just falling, drowning and rejection.

Comment

Few more

The ghost of Amelia Dyer in Newgate prison yard - as reported by quite a few people. Charming lady.......

Mrs Maxwell speaking to Mary Kelly, supposedly after Mary was dead.

Girl with a cat... This was inspired by the Spitalfields Nipper series of photos. I am going to do some more of them........just because I like them!
      Attached Files
      I'm not afraid of heights, swimming or love - just falling, drowning and rejection.

Comment

Last lot for now. This is a doss house kitchen. It's such a big pic that I've put details up from it........the actual thing is about a yard across!

Much love

Jane

xxxx
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Jane Coram; 05-29-2009, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Missed one.

That should keep you going for a while anyway.

xxxxx
          Attached Files

Comment

Hooray! Jane's pics are back! It's been far too long. Jane, you are a blessing to all of Ripperology. Thanks so much.

Comment

Thank You!

Hi, Jane. Thank you for posting all these pictures! It's interesting to see these scenes in color and with so much detail after having only seen them in black & white photos or news engravings or imagined them.

Did it take years of work to do them all? It must have! You are clearly very dedicated.

Best regards, Archaic

Comment

Who is Jane Coram?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

I ask myself that all the time Tom. If you find out, let me know will you?

Lovely to see you back anyway, it hasn't been the same without you. Hope life is treating you well!

Hugs

Jane

xxxx

Comment

Hi Archaic,

Probably not as long as you'd think as I sit about on my arse all day, doing very little else. Lol. It's the research that's the killer!

Glad you liked them anyway.

Much love

Jane

xxxx

Comment

Many thanks, Janie!

Lyn

Comment

Hello Jane

Bravo. Very evocative and atmospheric of the way it really was. Not sure of the modern-looking, modelish victim but all the rest of the images seem of a piece with the reality of 1888. Well done!!!!

Chris
                        Christopher T. George
                        Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                        just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                        For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                        RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Jane,

Very fine work. Thanks for posting them.
                          "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

My Bright Idea

Jane, have you ever thought of painting commissioned portraits of living people within the Whitechapel scenes?

I bet you could charge a bundle, become rich & famous, and retire to a tropical Paradise!
                            (You know all those filthy-rich Jack the Ripper Book Authors would be banging on your door.)

...Just a bright idea. Yours truly, Archaic

PS: I bet the Royal Family would love 'em! You could work the corgis & the ponies in and all that.

Comment

Hi Archaic,

Sounds like the photo studio 'me standing in front of a backdrop, dressed as a Victorian lady' sort of thing. Well, it's very original and actually very easy to do! I'm sure there would be quite a few takers.

I suppose I sort of do that anyway, because almost everyone in the paintings that isn't someone from that time are living people (unless they've been hit by a bus since I painted it ). I just scour the internet to find good faces for models, as no-one can create really believable portraits from their imagination.

I've been doing commissioned stuff for about 40 years and had to give up what I call 'proper' work a few years ago due to ill health. Now I tend to paint for fun as I can pace myself and there is not so much pressure to get things right all the time. If I don't like something I can take my own time fixing it! I still do some commissioned work, but not if I can help it. Lol.

As I said, I am doing some more Ripper related paintings now, although not sure what yet, but if anyone on the boards wants me to shove them in a painting somewhere for fun, I'd be more than happy to do it. Just pm me and send a photo. Might be quite a good game for others to see if they can spot the cuckoo in the nest!

Much love

Jane

xxxxxx

Comment

These are phenomenal, and atmospheric! Stellar work.

Comment

Working...
                                X