X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DJA View Post
    I
    by a member of the Frankenstein family.
    Resisting urge to retort "That's Franken-STEENE!" ala Young Frankenstein-- oh wait, I didn't, did I... ?
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

Comment

I sometimes see elderly people in what I am sure are their church clothes. It is pretty apparent that they have worn the same outfit for many years, i.e., out of style and in not so great condition. Shabby genteel would describe it.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
        I sometimes see elderly people in what I am sure are their church clothes. It is pretty apparent that they have worn the same outfit for many years, i.e., out of style and in not so great condition. Shabby genteel would describe it.

c.d.
        yep

Sunday best that isnt too good anymore.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Can identify with that.

Abelard shirts,John Karindonous boots,Conte de Roma suits,designer ties,etc.
          Picked up a strep infection in November 1982. Meh.

Just plain shabby these days.....captain tracky daks
          I still wear boots to work that Mrs Kanandonis sold me about 20 years ago.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Sounds like GUT's long lost relative
            Or more to the point like Gut today.
            G U T

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
              Think Mr Micawber, before he left for Australia.
              Actually Mr. Micawber before he is hired to be Uriah Heep's clerk (before he turns the tables on Heep).

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
                Jew would know...
                Sort of reminds me of an early snippet of conversation by Woody Allen in one of his films, concerning going into a record store and being asked by the clerk if he wants to hear some Wagner.

Comment

Originally posted by Yabs View Post
                  There's a book written originally in 1840 called "a shabby genteel story"
                  If anyone feels inclined you can purchase a copy for as little as 1p
                  https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/081...2IL&ref=plSrch
                  I am not sure but William M. Thackeray certainly pushed the idea of the "shabby genteel" type in his fiction. So did Dickens (best example is Mrs. Sparsit in "Hard Times", who adores the "self-made" millionaire industrialist Josiah Bounderby, until she discovers his hideous secret at the end.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                    Resisting urge to retort "That's Franken-STEENE!" ala Young Frankenstein-- oh wait, I didn't, did I... ?
                    "You're kiddin'. Well...you can call me "EYE-gore!!"

Comment

'Shabby genteel' described people like clerks who didn't use their muscles to make a living but worked in an office or bank. They were people who didn't really have the income to keep up a certain standard of dress for their way of life, but clung to lower middle class status cos it was a rung up from working class.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
                        'Shabby genteel' described people like clerks who didn't use their muscles to make a living but worked in an office or bank. They were people who didn't really have the income to keep up a certain standard of dress for their way of life, but clung to lower middle class status cos it was a rung up from working class.
                        Thank you!

Comment

What do they call the current trend of wearing pajamas (including slippers) out in public? This has become very common in my part of town in the past few years.

- CFL

Comment

Originally posted by C. F. Leon View Post
                            What do they call the current trend of wearing pajamas (including slippers) out in public?
                            Bedroom chic?
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by C. F. Leon View Post
                              What do they call the current trend of wearing pajamas (including slippers) out in public? This has become very common in my part of town in the past few years.

- CFL
                              Gross????
                              G U T

Comment

Just plain lazy?
                                Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                                ---------------
                                Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                                ---------------

Comment

Working...
                                X