The Chapman Murder in the Evening Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Robert View Post
    I originally assumed the Torah would be too big to fit in a pocket. But if they can do it now, I guess they could do it then :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Torah-Bo.../dp/082760680X
    Unless I'm greatly mistaken, the Torah is the first five books of the Old Testament (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy). Pocket New Testaments and even complete pocket Bibles for soldiers, explorers, travellers, etc, have been around since at least the early Victorian era when reading became a common skill. I'd imagine that pocket Torahs, although probably not as common, were certainly nothing out of the ordinary by 1888.
    - Ginger

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post
      Unless I'm greatly mistaken, the Torah is the first five books of the Old Testament (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy). Pocket New Testaments and even complete pocket Bibles for soldiers, explorers, travellers, etc, have been around since at least the early Victorian era when reading became a common skill. I'd imagine that pocket Torahs, although probably not as common, were certainly nothing out of the ordinary by 1888.
      Actually pretty common even then for pocket bibles and prayer books, though they really took off big time in the American Civil War when soldiers carried them into battle.

My Great Uncle had one from about 1800 that had belonged to his Great Grandfather who was a clergymen in late 1700's to his death in 1830, not sure what happened to t when uncle died. It was about the same size as those that were handed out by the Gideons when I was at school.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

On being sworn he produced a book from his pocket, which looked like an account-book, and he was sworn upon it.
        (My italics)

The journalist doesn't claim that it was an account-book, only that that is what it looked like.
        I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Working...
        X