Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annie's rings

Hello all,

Can we be sure that it was JTR who removed Annieś rings? Isn't there at least a small chance that they were stolen by one or both of the women who stripped her body? They were presumably very poor and could well have considered any such trifle to be theirs as "perks of the job".

Rings are very personal articles and it strikes me as strange that nothing of this kind seems to have been taken from any of the other victims - something personal to them which would have been noticed as missing by those close to them. (apart from various body parts, of course)

Best wishes,
    C4

dead ringer

Hello C4. I agree that "JTR" did not steal the rings--or do much of anything else.

Whoever took them did so ante mortem, not post mortem. Other than that . . .

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

Originally posted by curious4 View Post
      Rings are very personal articles and it strikes me as strange that nothing of this kind seems to have been taken from any of the other victims
      It's possible that a ring was also taken from Nichols (one of her fingers bore the impression of a ring).
      “When a major serial killer case is finally solved and all the paperwork completed, police are sometimes amazed at how obvious the killer was and how they were unable to see what was right before their noses.” —Robert D. Keppel and William J. Birnes, The Psychology of Serial Killer Investigations

William Bury, Victorian Murderer
      http://www.williambury.org

Comment

Hi Curious ,
        The thing for me that makes it unlikely that the killer wrenched her rings off is the fact that once the killers hands have been in viscera, it's not just that they get wet, but slippery. Blood and guts make one's hands very much more slippery than just water. And her rings would have been easy to slide off , surly leaving some mess on Annies fingers in the process . i think the evidence pertaining to the state of Annies fingers points more to the likeliness of being pulled/tugged off post mortem .. especially after her fingers would have swolen up a bit ... hence the red marks where they were not too easy to remove . just a thought !

cheers
        moonbegger .

Comment

Annie's rings

Hello Lynn,

Why not post mortem? Don't think somehow Jack took 'em off before doing his thing.

Cheers,
          C4

Comment

Hello Wyatt,

That's interesting - where did you read that? Must have missed it. Nevertheless, the same could apply here - when she was killed the panic had hardly begun, so any theft from the body would perhaps be business as usual. These people were incredibly poor - I read recently that it was said that you could walk from one end of Petticoat Lane to the other, find your pocket handerkerchief missing and buy it back with the initials picked out before you got to the end of the road. Stealing from the dead was hardly deemed a crime - except in the mysterious circumstance of Druitt's money still being on his person after he was fished out of the river by a waterman of course.

Cheers,
            C4
            Last edited by curious4; 05-16-2012, 07:34 PM.

Comment

inquest

Hello Wyatt. Is that in the inquest testimony?

Cheers.
              LC

Comment

Hello Moonbegger,

Yes, you have a good point there - unless (if it was Jack) he took them off after choking her and before the mutilations.

Best wishes,
                C4

Comment

blood

Hello MB. Certain signs on the body are different before and after death.

Moreover, the finger and the ransacked pocket had no blood on them, if I recall properly. And given the arterial spray found by Phillips, she was not quite dead when her throat was cut.

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

Jack

Hello C4. I don't think "Jack" would--but I think Annie's assailant did.

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

curious4 and lynn, I am currently reading William Beadle's Jack the Ripper: Anatomy of a Myth, and this is mentioned on page 18: "An item which Dr Llewellyn did not mention, he probably thought it of no consequence, was that one of Polly's fingers bore the impression of a ring." He doesn't have it footnoted, so maybe someone else here can chime in on the source for that.
                      “When a major serial killer case is finally solved and all the paperwork completed, police are sometimes amazed at how obvious the killer was and how they were unable to see what was right before their noses.” —Robert D. Keppel and William J. Birnes, The Psychology of Serial Killer Investigations

Comment

annie's rings

Thanks Wyatt - I'll look it up.

Cheers,
                        C4

Comment

Hello Lynn,

Ah yes, another one of the hordes of people running round Whitechapel at the time, strangling and mutilating as they went lol. Sorry, not with you there!

Cheers,
                          C4

Comment

As a general point I think it's worth mentioning that while we know what the Ripper didn't take from his victims -- whatever was left with their bodies -- we can't really know what trinkets he might have taken from them.

Comment

Ah yes, another one of the hordes of people running round Whitechapel at the time, strangling and mutilating as they went lol. Sorry, not with you there!
                              Well even if you accept "Jack" at face value (ie the Canonical 5), then you've got Martha Tabram's killer, Jack himelf, the Torso killer (Elizabeth Jackson???), then at least one other for Clay Pipe Alice and Frances Coles ... so yes there were possibly a few floating round by the look of things!

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X