Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abberline's Personal History

Hi All,

I'm re-posting the personal information I have so far managed to collate on Abberline. I have put it in chronological order, together with the dates of his rise through the ranks in the Metropolitan Police.

It would be helpful if anyone can fill in any gaps.

Regards,

Simon

CENSUS 1841

Salisbury Street, Blandford Forum

Edward Abberline - (40) Saddler
    Hannah Abberline - (40)
    Emily Abberline - (5)
    Harriet Abberline (3)
    Edward Abberline (2)

Frederick George Abberline - Born 8 January 1843

CENSUS 1851

East Street, Blandford, Dorset

Hannah Abberline - Head - Shopkeeper (49)
    Harriet - Daughter - (12)
    Edward - Son - (11)
    Frederick - Son - (8)
    [No entry for Emily]

An 1853 local census lists - Abberline Emoly (sic) Servant ,15, 1836, Salisbury

CENSUS 1861 - No Entry

1863: Jan 5 - Joins Metropolitan Police Warrant Number 43519.
    Appointed to N Division (Islington).

1865: Aug 19 - Promoted to Sergeant.
    Oct 30 - Moved to Y Division (Highgate)

1868: Abberline married Martha Mackness

1868: Martha Mackness died two months later

CENSUS 1871

Kentish Town Road Police Station

Henry McGary - Police Officer - Widower - (29) Police Sergeant
    Frederick Abberline - Police Officer - Widower (28) Police Sergeant
    James (?) - Police Officer - Widower - (29) Police Sergeant
    Alfred Pollard - Police Officer - Widower (22) Metropolitan Police Constable
    Timothy Crowley - Police Officer - Widower (22) Metropolitan Police Constable
    George Shrimpton - Police Officer - Widower (21) Metropolitan Police Constable
    Alfred Sharpe - Police Officer - Widower (46) Metropolitan Police Constable
    Charles Millard - Police Officer - Widower (28) Metropolitan Police Constable
    George Crisp - Police Officer - Widower (24) Metropolitan Police Constable
    John Walton - Police Officer - Widower (28) Metropolitan Police Constable
    Alfred North - Police Officer - Widower (23) Metropolitan Police Constable
    William Dodd - Police Officer - Widower (25?) Metropolitan Police Constable

1873: Mar 10 - Promoted to Inspector.
    Moved to H Division (Whitechapel). Promoted to Local Inspector.

1876: Abberline marries Emma Beament

CENSUS 1881 (3rd April)

160 Commercial Street Police Station

James A. Bugby - Head (45) Inspector of Police
    Mary Bugby - Wife (46)
    Frederick G. Abberline - Head (38) Inspector of Police
    Emma Abberline - Wife (28)

1887 : Feb 26 - Moved to A Division (Whitehall). Nov 19 - Moved to CO Division (Scotland Yard).
    1888 : Feb 8 - Promoted to 1st Class Inspector.

WHITECHAPEL MURDERS

1890 : Dec 22 - Promoted to Chief Inspector.

CENSUS 1891 (5th April)

41 Mayflower Road

Frederick G. Abberline - Head (48)
    Emma Abberline - Wife (41) [should be 38]

Anne Polisford (Pulsford Dec 1845, Tiverton) - Head (48) Single

1892 : Feb 7 - Resigned from the Metropolitan Police.

CENSUS 1901 (31st March)

313 Clapham Road [about 1/5 of a mile away from Mayflower Road]

Frederick George Abberline - Head (58) [ex] Chief Inspector of Police
    Emma Abberline - Wife (54)
    Harold Charles Gibbons - Visitor (9) Born Kensington 1892 (March)
    John Philip Collins - Boarder - (30) Author/Newspaper Editor*
    Laurence Allen Jones - Boarder (27) Consulting Engineer
    Mary Isabella Yates - Servant (18) General Servant Domestic - Hanover Square Workhouse

*John Philip Collins was a journalist with the Daily Telegraph.

1904: Abberline retired to Methuen Road, Bournemouth

CENSUS 1911 - Not Available Yet

1911: Abberline moved to "Estcourt" 195 Holdenhurst Road, Bournemouth

CENSUS 1921 - Not Available Yet

1929: 10 Dec - Abberline died, aged 86, at "Estcourt", 195 Holdenhurst Road, Bournemouth
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Thanks for reposting this, Simon. We know so little about Abberline that it's very convenient to have this info available again in one place.

I believe that this question was asked on the pre-crash boards but, if there was an answer, I've forgotten it. Do we know why there were so many young widowers living at the Kentish Town Road Police Station? I can see one or two living in the station house with the usual bachelors, but this seems like a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
      Thanks for reposting this, Simon. We know so little about Abberline that it's very convenient to have this info available again in one place.

I believe that this question was asked on the pre-crash boards but, if there was an answer, I've forgotten it. Do we know why there were so many young widowers living at the Kentish Town Road Police Station? I can see one or two living in the station house with the usual bachelors, but this seems like a lot.

Were they living at Kentish Town Road Police Station or just working out of it?

Chris
      Christopher T. George
      Editor, Ripperologist
      http://www.ripperologist.biz
      http://chrisgeorge.netpublish.net

Comment

Kentish Town Widowers

Hi GM and Chris,

Yes, we did discuss the Kentish Town widowers, but didn't reach a consensus on whether or not they lived there.

Maybe Grey Hunter could throw some light on the matter.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

OK, fair enough, maybe they all just worked there---although I thought that for the purposes of a census people were listed under their domiciles rather than their places of employment. In any event, that still leaves us to ponder why so many young widowers were living/working at the same station.

Comment

Hi All,

Here's two cuttings from The Times highlighting police accommodation.

The City policeman story is from April 6th 1871; the other from August 29th 1872— both around the time of the Kentish Town police widowers picked up in the Census.

Regards,

Simon

PS. I love the concept of Police Glee Classes
            Attached Files

Comment

He is on the 1861 census, still at East Street with Hannah and Edward. His occupation is given as Clock and Watchmaker Ap.

Has anyone tried tracing the descendants of the family, to see if they have any photos? I know that Fred had no kids, but he had nephews/neices so I guess he might pop up in a few wedding photos.

Comment

Hi Simon and all.

I will start with the 1871 census, which I have a copy, Frederick is the only Widower all the rest of the police officer are unmarried. I don't believe they lived at the Police station, the census are taken on where people are staying on the night, so must of been working on the night of 2-Apr-1871.

Taken from Pigot & Co directory 1842 and 1844 of Blandford, Dorset.
                Edward Abberline Saddler & Harnness Maker Salisbury Street.
                Edward Abberline Auctioneers Salisbury Street,

Taken from Slater's directory 1852-53 Blandford, Dorset.
                Hannah Abberline East Street Shopkeeper Grocerie & Sundries.

Taken from Post Office directory 1855 Blandford, Dorset.
                Hannan Abberline Shopkeeper East Street,

Hope its helpful

Regards

Roblee

Comment

Originally posted by David Knott View Post
                  He is on the 1861 census, still at East Street with Hannah and Edward. His occupation is given as Clock and Watchmaker Ap.
                  Heres the entry.

Name: Frederick G Abberline
                  Estimated Birth Year: abt 1843
                  Relation: Son
                  Mother's Name: Hannah
                  Where born: Blandford, Dorset, England

Civil Parish: Blandford Forum
                  Town: Blandford
                  County/Island: Dorset
                  Registration district: Blandford
                  Sub registration district: Blandford
                  ED, institution, or vessel: 3
                  Neighbors: View others on page
                  Household schedule number: 116
                  Household Members:
                  Edward Abberline 21
                  Frederick G Abberline 18
                  Hannah Abberline 60

Comment

Frederick's Brither Edward seems to have had a very varied life - a corporal in the royal engineers and the keeper of a board school! Very diverse

Comment

As I understand it, people were registered where the census-taker happened to find them on that evening. Hence Abberline's 'visitor'.

Comment

No that can't be the case Justin as all my relatives would have been registered as living in Public Houses, and that's not the case

all the best

Observer

Comment

Originally posted by Observer View Post
                          No that can't be the case Justin as all my relatives would have been registered as living in Public Houses, and that's not the case

all the best

Observer
                          My old Irish grandmother is currently haunting me for not realising how true that statement is in my own case!

However - I've done a bit of work with census records before and have seen 'visitors' referred to a lot. Sometimes with residences noted, sometimes not. Chris Scott would be the ultimate authority on this, but I'm curious if it was discretionary?

Comment

Getting away from pubs for a minute,
                            One of the things I find fascinating to ponder about Frederick Abberline's life,
                            is that of all the counties for him to be born and raised in, and then to spend twenty five years of his twilight years in, it had to be the one where one of the prominent JTR suspects hailed from: Montague Druitt.
                            Not only that, but the Druitts were big in Bournemouth. Mainly in local government and the law.
                            Abberline was born in the town of Blandford, where the Dorset M.P. Farquarson,later lived. He was the man with the strong theory that JTR committed suicide, and had been a 'son of a surgeon'.
                            Surely, Abberline must have been pretty aware of the Druitt suspicion?
                            I know, I know, Abberline publicly pooh-poohed the drowned Ripper theory.
                            But like Macnaghten, went on to make his own fairly far-fetched theory.
                            Perhaps, one day, we will locate, not only a few photos of Abberline but also a much fuller written account of his suspicions regarding Montague Druitt and others. Roll on full digitisation of newspapers. JOHN RUFFELS.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnr View Post
                              Getting away from pubs for a minute,
                              One of the things I find fascinating to ponder about Frederick Abberline's life,
                              is that of all the counties for him to be born and raised in, and then to spend twenty five years of his twilight years in, it had to be the one where one of the prominent JTR suspects hailed from: Montague Druitt.
                              Not only that, but the Druitts were big in Bournemouth. Mainly in local government and the law.
                              Abberline was born in the town of Blandford, where the Dorset M.P. Farquarson,later lived. He was the man with the strong theory that JTR committed suicide, and had been a 'son of a surgeon'.
                              Surely, Abberline must have been pretty aware of the Druitt suspicion?
                              I know, I know, Abberline publicly pooh-poohed the drowned Ripper theory.
                              But like Macnaghten, went on to make his own fairly far-fetched theory.
                              Perhaps, one day, we will locate, not only a few photos of Abberline but also a much fuller written account of his suspicions regarding Montague Druitt and others. Roll on full digitisation of newspapers. JOHN RUFFELS.
                              Hello John,
                              interesting remarks indeed,
                              however, if we assume, as you do, that Abberline could get infos about Druitt according to their common local connections, that would rather weaken Druitt's candidacy, since Abberline pooh-poohed (what a verb, to a stranger! so expressive!) it. And to my mind, though Chapman is far from being my favourite suspect, he is certainly a more plausible ripper than Druitt - but I "like" Druitt very much as a legendary suspect.

Amitiés,
                              David

Comment

Working...
                              X