Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by caz 8 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Sam Flynn 19 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by rjpalmer 33 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by caz 34 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Sam Flynn 38 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Sam Flynn 47 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - (30 posts)
Kosminski, Aaron: My theory on Kosminski - (5 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-25-2016, 01:12 AM
miss marple miss marple is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 722
Default A Brothel in Cardiff

I have been looking at Brothels in Cardiff.The city seems to have been a hotbed of vice, drunkeness, disorderly conduct etc and a large Irish population. Bute St was quite notorious.

I was going to list various brothels, but I am focussing on one in particular, which got me quite intrigued, another strange coincidence in the saga of Mary Kelly.
One of the Census entries about Welsh Mary's was the family at 19 Homfrey St Cardiff.1881 Father John Kelly 55 gen labourer mother Margaret 57 both born Ireland. Helen daug 24, John 19 son and boarders. Mary Ann Kelly age 16 no occupation? is living with them.
On December 8th 1883 Mary Davies, a woman, well known to the police was charged with keeping a house of ill fame at 1 Homfray St. She lived in a house opposite where she keep a close eye on the brothel. She was described by the police as a very acute woman. The whole one of one side of Homfrey st were brothels. Davies was sentenced to six months with hard labour.
Coincidence or what? Is this part of the fabric by which MK weaves her backstory?

Miss Marple
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-25-2016, 01:28 AM
GUT GUT is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: I come from a land Down Under
Posts: 7,173
Default

And Davies???
__________________
G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-25-2016, 02:24 AM
miss marple miss marple is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 722
Default

I dont think MK was Davies, the timeline does not fit but MK may have worked for her and 'borrowed' the name. The Davies name is too much of a coincidence. MK does not have the profile or success to be a brothel keeper. They were hard women who made serious money.

Miss Marple

Last edited by miss marple : 03-25-2016 at 02:31 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-25-2016, 02:36 AM
GUT GUT is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: I come from a land Down Under
Posts: 7,173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss marple View Post
I dont think MK was Davies, the timeline does not fit but MK may have worked for her and 'borrowed' the name. The Davies name is too much of a coincidence. MK does not have the profile or success to be a brothel keeper. They were hard women who made serious money.

Miss Marple
Maybe, just maybe, the brothel keeper was a relative of the husband. That of course is IF there was any truth in the story.
__________________
G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-25-2016, 02:44 AM
miss marple miss marple is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 722
Default

Yes Gut, that is another possiblity. I am researching this Mary D. If she had a relative who died in an explosion that would be gold dust. MK does not need to be married to him[ as there is no record] she just needs to have a connection with the story eg know about it.
As there are hundreds of davies it won't be easy!

Miss Marple
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-25-2016, 03:09 AM
GUT GUT is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: I come from a land Down Under
Posts: 7,173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss marple View Post
Yes Gut, that is another possiblity. I am researching this Mary D. If she had a relative who died in an explosion that would be gold dust. MK does not need to be married to him[ as there is no record] she just needs to have a connection with the story eg know about it.
As there are hundreds of davies it won't be easy!

Miss Marple
I admire the work you, and a few others have one.

My genealogical research has mainly related to family history, where I am working from a known person, what you do seems to me a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack. Trying t find a person who loosly fits a story.

And I agree they need not be legally married.
__________________
G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-25-2016, 04:10 AM
miss marple miss marple is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 722
Default

It is looking for a needle in a haystack. My approach is looking to see what is plausible in her story [ so far most of it is] and just hoping some connections may start to make sense. MK may not have been her real name but if her story is more or less true give or take a few porkies, a pattern may immerge.

Miss Marple
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-25-2016, 04:14 AM
Elamarna Elamarna is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 3,715
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss marple View Post
I dont think MK was Davies, the timeline does not fit but MK may have worked for her and 'borrowed' the name. The Davies name is too much of a coincidence. MK does not have the profile or success to be a brothel keeper. They were hard women who made serious money.

Miss Marple
Hi Miss Marple,

The Davies name was/is very common in Wales, you say so yourself:

As there are hundreds of davies it won't be easy!


Therefore I do not see that it is "too much of a coincidence" at all.

However, I really admire the research, do keep at it, something may turn up, which would give the much needed link to the woman in Millers Court

regards

Steve

Last edited by Elamarna : 03-25-2016 at 04:18 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-25-2016, 04:31 AM
Wickerman Wickerman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 8,893
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss marple View Post
It is looking for a needle in a haystack. My approach is looking to see what is plausible in her story [ so far most of it is] and just hoping some connections may start to make sense. MK may not have been her real name but if her story is more or less true give or take a few porkies, a pattern may immerge.

Miss Marple
You didn't mention if this Mary Davies had a son, or a male relative?, of approximately the same age as Mary Kelly.
__________________
Regards, Jon S.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-25-2016, 04:49 AM
MrBarnett MrBarnett is offline
Inspector
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Romford
Posts: 1,310
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss marple View Post
I have been looking at Brothels in Cardiff.The city seems to have been a hotbed of vice, drunkeness, disorderly conduct etc and a large Irish population. Bute St was quite notorious.

I was going to list various brothels, but I am focussing on one in particular, which got me quite intrigued, another strange coincidence in the saga of Mary Kelly.
One of the Census entries about Welsh Mary's was the family at 19 Homfrey St Cardiff.1881 Father John Kelly 55 gen labourer mother Margaret 57 both born Ireland. Helen daug 24, John 19 son and boarders. Mary Ann Kelly age 16 no occupation? is living with them.
On December 8th 1883 Mary Davies, a woman, well known to the police was charged with keeping a house of ill fame at 1 Homfray St. She lived in a house opposite where she keep a close eye on the brothel. She was described by the police as a very acute woman. The whole one of one side of Homfrey st were brothels. Davies was sentenced to six months with hard labour.
Coincidence or what? Is this part of the fabric by which MK weaves her backstory?

Miss Marple
Hi Miss Marple,

This one was born in Cardiff, though. The family were at are at the same address in 1871, and Mary is again shown as being born in Cardiff, although her age is given as 4. The father is a coal ????. Also at no. 19 is a family named Flynn. The head, Timothy is employed at an iron works and two doors away is a family named McCarthy Coincidences? I would have thought so.

In 1885 a woman named Mary Barnett was convicted of running a brothel in Davis Street, Cardiff.

More coincidences than you can shake a stick at.

Gary
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.