Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Sam Flynn 8 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Fisherman 36 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Sam Flynn 1 hour and 7 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Fisherman 1 hour and 23 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Fisherman 2 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Fisherman 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (49 posts)
Martha Tabram: Probibility of Martha Tabram Being a JtR Victim - (14 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Only one suspect can be shown to have carried a knife. - (13 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: good riddance-have fun in Hell - (6 posts)
Kosminski, Aaron: My theory on Kosminski - (5 posts)
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - (3 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Pub Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-04-2017, 03:07 AM
Svensson Svensson is offline
Cadet
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London
Posts: 3
Default North Korea

Possible solution (that I think hasn't been discussed yet):

The North Korean national holiday on September 9th is coming up. Surely, there will be a massive military parade with all the top-brass present. Send in some Ninjas and job done.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-04-2017, 08:01 AM
Wickerman Wickerman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 8,791
Default

The United Nations Security Council is impotent.
For 24+ years they have collectively sanctioned against North Korea's nuclear program, which is why we are in this position today.
More sanctions will make no difference, doing the same 'thing' over and over again, but expecting a different result, is often taken as the definition of insanity.

The reality is, the world must wait for N. Korea to actually target another nation before anyone can do anything. Up to now all we have seen is sabre rattling by N. Korea, which hurts nobody. They may be trying to coax the US into striking first, this cannot be allowed to happen - but with two unpredictable idiots playing in the same sandbox, there is a very real possibility this could happen.
__________________
Regards, Jon S.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-04-2017, 09:51 AM
Lord Allen Lord Allen is offline
Cadet
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2
Default

Sanctions usually only hurt the general populace, but the idea is that the populace eventually forces change. Meanwhile, China, India, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Mexico, Brazil, Chile, Thailand, the Philippines and Russia continue to do business with North Korea.
The idiot leader of NK doesn't really want war, he knows he is toast if that happens. He does love to tweak the rest of the world, though.
The idiot leader of the US is continually backing himself into a corner diplomatically (and economically) with his tweets and comments, while behind the scenes everyone scrambles to reassure the rest of the world that we aren't moments away from killing millions of people, both allies and enemies, and ticking off China, who will immediately be backed by Russia.
I can't imagine they haven't restricted Trump's access or ability to make split second irrational decisions with the military toys at his disposal.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-04-2017, 12:36 PM
Abby Normal Abby Normal is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,043
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Allen View Post
Sanctions usually only hurt the general populace, but the idea is that the populace eventually forces change. Meanwhile, China, India, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Mexico, Brazil, Chile, Thailand, the Philippines and Russia continue to do business with North Korea.
The idiot leader of NK doesn't really want war, he knows he is toast if that happens. He does love to tweak the rest of the world, though.
The idiot leader of the US is continually backing himself into a corner diplomatically (and economically) with his tweets and comments, while behind the scenes everyone scrambles to reassure the rest of the world that we aren't moments away from killing millions of people, both allies and enemies, and ticking off China, who will immediately be backed by Russia.
I can't imagine they haven't restricted Trump's access or ability to make split second irrational decisions with the military toys at his disposal.
I wouldn't be so sure Kim doesn't want war. There's been so many crazy leaders of countries tweaking the US nose over the years that end up going to far and getting there ass handed to them when at any point they could have simply chilled out a little bit and they'd still be in power.
It's mind boggling to me. How can they not know it's a no win situation to pick a fight with the US? But I guess that's what made them bat **** crazy leaders to begin with.

Oh and those comparing a true evil bastard like Kim with the American president can go take a long walk off a short pier. Why don't you compare Kim to China's leader or Russia or France or Australia or any other country? Oh right because no else does **** when situations like this arise and all heads turn to the US like what are you going to do?
__________________
"Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe


"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-04-2017, 03:50 PM
Herlock Sholmes Herlock Sholmes is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: The West Midlands
Posts: 919
Default

One of my heroes:


https://youtu.be/P8-Vr_r36Fg
__________________
Regards

Herlock






"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact!"
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-04-2017, 04:49 PM
Lord Allen Lord Allen is offline
Cadet
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
Oh and those comparing a true evil bastard like Kim with the American president can go take a long walk off a short pier. Why don't you compare Kim to China's leader or Russia or France or Australia or any other country? Oh right because no else does **** when situations like this arise and all heads turn to the US like what are you going to do?
Yes, we are all quite aware of your uber right wing viewpoints. I'm not a leftist, but I do live in a world where critical thinking exists. Oh, and I'm also former military from a family of veterans. Don't think of me as some ***** commie.

America has a bully in chief. A thin skinned, intellectually incurious, narcissist who refuses to take the council of those around him, and that is incredibly dangerous.
His negotiating skills are non existent, we can all see that, despite his proclamations to the contrary.
He is also an incredibly lousy businessman, saved only by the grace of his father's money and his ability to license the trump name.
He does know how to play to his base, though. However, even a recent Fox News survey, in other words his base giving their opinion, shows his trustworthiness and presidentiality at incredibly low numbers. The only thing he rates highly in is speaking his mind. And that's from the people who voted for him. In better vernacular, he lacks introspection.
He may be your wet dream of a president, but you must also know you are in the minority, and it's not because no one else understands the world the way you do. Personally my fears of a corrupt administration are minor compared to the potential danger the buffoon in chief presents to the rest of the world.
How do you expect any preemptive war with North Korea to go? Sure, we can wipe him out, everyone knows it, but the collateral damage will be incredible as well as probably unleashing a full on economic and cyber war (if not an actual one) between the three big powers, and Russia is going in with China. America's economy will plummet to levels that will make the Great Depression and its twin ten years ago look like a children's birthday party.
But but but Trump is willing to do what no one else does.
Name a president who doesn't respond to an actual attack. It's the smart ones that don't cause the wars.
Sanctions don't work.
Actually they can if applied by everyone. That's the problem, A lot of people are making money from the situation annnnnd therefore they aren't particularly interested in either side's saber rattling. Until the orange one's presence on the world stage, NK was a minor pain in everyone's side, now it's the top story in each and every world leader's security briefing.
The first president to actually not pay money to the chubby one's tantrums was.....Obama. I can hear you actually hit your keyboard quickly in an effort to find evidence to the contrary. Previous administrations responses were to give the child screaming for ice cream a cookie to shut him up.
Talking doesn't work
Actually the general thought is that he wants respect and to be viewed as one of the great world leaders and powers. But if you let this doof tantrum his way to the adult table then it's possible other countries will follow suit....although everyone has also learned that countries do not act, react, or follow any sort of domino theory. See Vietnam and the Arab Spring.
Now, the NK citizens are kind of screwed. They really have little to no idea how the outside world is, and obviously they are told nothing but that Americans are the devil. The real hope is that the military finally has someone brave enough and frustrated enough to take out the dear leader.
It's easy to sit in a safe spot and demand that we bomb them into into submission. The millions of allies whose lives would be in immediate danger may not agree with you.
Since NK can level Seoul in seconds and from artillery positions we cannot possibly wipe out there is no hope of a successful preemptive strike, and NK probably has missiles aimed at Japan at a minimum those of us who understand the situation desperately hope that the bully in chief doesn't tweet himself or the NK whackadoodle into an actual confrontation. The moment the chubby one thinks his back is really against the wall he will go all out.
None of the choices are optimal, if it were easy it would have been handled decades ago but sometimes it is best to let the baby cry himself to sleep while we wait for him to grow up, and just keep an eye on him.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-04-2017, 05:13 PM
Callmebill Callmebill is offline
Cadet
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 45
Default Kim Yong-on is making a lot of noise

Reminds me of a trapped animal. Kim Yong-on is making a lot of noise but he doesn't want to end up like Gaddafi with a rifle-butt up his rectum.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-04-2017, 05:58 PM
Abby Normal Abby Normal is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,043
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Allen View Post
Yes, we are all quite aware of your uber right wing viewpoints. I'm not a leftist, but I do live in a world where critical thinking exists. Oh, and I'm also former military from a family of veterans. Don't think of me as some ***** commie.

America has a bully in chief. A thin skinned, intellectually incurious, narcissist who refuses to take the council of those around him, and that is incredibly dangerous.
His negotiating skills are non existent, we can all see that, despite his proclamations to the contrary.
He is also an incredibly lousy businessman, saved only by the grace of his father's money and his ability to license the trump name.
He does know how to play to his base, though. However, even a recent Fox News survey, in other words his base giving their opinion, shows his trustworthiness and presidentiality at incredibly low numbers. The only thing he rates highly in is speaking his mind. And that's from the people who voted for him. In better vernacular, he lacks introspection.
He may be your wet dream of a president, but you must also know you are in the minority, and it's not because no one else understands the world the way you do. Personally my fears of a corrupt administration are minor compared to the potential danger the buffoon in chief presents to the rest of the world.
How do you expect any preemptive war with North Korea to go? Sure, we can wipe him out, everyone knows it, but the collateral damage will be incredible as well as probably unleashing a full on economic and cyber war (if not an actual one) between the three big powers, and Russia is going in with China. America's economy will plummet to levels that will make the Great Depression and its twin ten years ago look like a children's birthday party.
But but but Trump is willing to do what no one else does.
Name a president who doesn't respond to an actual attack. It's the smart ones that don't cause the wars.
Sanctions don't work.
Actually they can if applied by everyone. That's the problem, A lot of people are making money from the situation annnnnd therefore they aren't particularly interested in either side's saber rattling. Until the orange one's presence on the world stage, NK was a minor pain in everyone's side, now it's the top story in each and every world leader's security briefing.
The first president to actually not pay money to the chubby one's tantrums was.....Obama. I can hear you actually hit your keyboard quickly in an effort to find evidence to the contrary. Previous administrations responses were to give the child screaming for ice cream a cookie to shut him up.
Talking doesn't work
Actually the general thought is that he wants respect and to be viewed as one of the great world leaders and powers. But if you let this doof tantrum his way to the adult table then it's possible other countries will follow suit....although everyone has also learned that countries do not act, react, or follow any sort of domino theory. See Vietnam and the Arab Spring.
Now, the NK citizens are kind of screwed. They really have little to no idea how the outside world is, and obviously they are told nothing but that Americans are the devil. The real hope is that the military finally has someone brave enough and frustrated enough to take out the dear leader.
It's easy to sit in a safe spot and demand that we bomb them into into submission. The millions of allies whose lives would be in immediate danger may not agree with you.
Since NK can level Seoul in seconds and from artillery positions we cannot possibly wipe out there is no hope of a successful preemptive strike, and NK probably has missiles aimed at Japan at a minimum those of us who understand the situation desperately hope that the bully in chief doesn't tweet himself or the NK whackadoodle into an actual confrontation. The moment the chubby one thinks his back is really against the wall he will go all out.
None of the choices are optimal, if it were easy it would have been handled decades ago but sometimes it is best to let the baby cry himself to sleep while we wait for him to grow up, and just keep an eye on him.
I literally stopped reading on your first sentence ... my Uber right wing view points. Lol. If your going to try and come back at someone at least know what your talking about. Typical knee jerk fake news reaction. I'm a registered independent who agrees with and disagrees with different issues on both sides. I vote for who I think would make the best president. I voted for Obama the first time.

I didn't even mention Trump by name and my whole beef is when people when try to make stupid comparisons. You know like hitler and Trump, Kim and Trump. It's hyperbole to the point of blind stupidity.

But I expect nothing less from party adherents. Oh by the way you also missed the whole point of my post. Shocker. Just attack who you believe to be the enemy of your party to the point of hysterical nonsense. Fake news.

Oh yeah your a vet. Lord Allen.
I call bull ****.
__________________
"Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe


"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Last edited by Abby Normal : 09-04-2017 at 06:23 PM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-05-2017, 03:41 AM
Harry D Harry D is online now
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,967
Default

Why do people act like Trump, or any president for that matter, is the one in charge? Money makes the world go round. It's the super-rich elite dynastic families who run things behind the scenes. Not Trump.
__________________
Hail to the king, baby!
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-05-2017, 02:52 PM
Herlock Sholmes Herlock Sholmes is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: The West Midlands
Posts: 919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
I literally stopped reading on your first sentence ... my Uber right wing view points. Lol. If your going to try and come back at someone at least know what your talking about. Typical knee jerk fake news reaction. I'm a registered independent who agrees with and disagrees with different issues on both sides. I vote for who I think would make the best president. I voted for Obama the first time.

I didn't even mention Trump by name and my whole beef is when people when try to make stupid comparisons. You know like hitler and Trump, Kim and Trump. It's hyperbole to the point of blind stupidity.

But I expect nothing less from party adherents. Oh by the way you also missed the whole point of my post. Shocker. Just attack who you believe to be the enemy of your party to the point of hysterical nonsense. Fake news.

Oh yeah your a vet. Lord Allen.
I call bull ****.
I learn something new every day Abby. For some reason I'd always assumed that you were from the uk. Don't know why I should think that but I did.
__________________
Regards

Herlock






"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact!"
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.