Policeman and serial killer Popkov

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Policeman and serial killer Popkov

"Mikhail Popkov: "I still love my husband who raped and murdered 22 women", says wife.

The family of a 'Werewolf' serial killer who raped and slaughtered 22 women have told the fiend: "We still love you."

Deranged Mikhail Popkov used axes, knives or screwdrivers to murder women in his home town of Angarsk, Russia in a twisted effort to "cleanse" the streets of prostitutes.

In a series of crimes that shocked his home country, 50-year-old Popkov was given the nickname 'The Werewolf' after one of his victims was beheaded and another had her heart carved from her body.

A former police officer, he used his work car to lure women to accompanying him at which point he would kill them and then rape their bodies.

He was caught in 2012 after investigators re-examined the case and carried out DNA testing of Angarsk residents, focusing on those who drove a car make whose tracks had been found at crime scenes.

Popkov was sentenced to life imprisonment after confessing the murders, but despite overwhelming evidence his family still believe him when he says he did not do it.

But wife Elena Popkova, 48, declared: "We have been married for 28 years. If I suspected something wrong, of course, I would divorce with him.

"I support him, I believe him. If he were to be released right now, I would not say a word and we would continue to live together.

"I love him, I support him. He did not cause me any harm for all these years. I felt safe with him."

Despite his confession, she said that when she met him ahead of his sentencing, he "denied everything", reported The Siberian Times.

"Even when our daughter asked him, he said, 'Katya, you understand that all these [allegations] are fairy tales. It is the system -- I have worked within it, I know this system well."

The mass murderer's 27 year old daughter even said she had wanted to try and solve the crimes for herself to prove her father was innocent.

"I do not believe any of this. I always felt myself as 'Daddy's girl'," she claimed on Russian TV

"For 25 years we were together, hand in hand.

"We walked, rode bikes, went to the shops, and he met me from school.

"We both collect model cars, so we have the same hobby.

"I wanted to be a criminologist, so I read a book with tips of how investigators catch serial killers and there were also basic classifications [about murderers].

"Daddy doesn't fit any of these classifications -- he doesn't look like some maniac.

Popkov's pensioner mother Antonina also disputed that her son - who she calls Misha - was a mass killer.

"Where was the blood? His clothes should have been covered in blood or if he had tried to wash the blood away, the clothes would have been wet," she said.

"His wife would definitely have noticed all that.

"He loves his family, cherishes his daughter, and he dreamt about grandchildren. He would not have done this. He will remain my son, until my death.

"He studied well and from the very beginning he was excellent pupil. He loved to cook, pancakes or something like this and he was very neat, like me."

But, showing some doubt, she added: "Misha, give us some sign if you have done all this or not. And if so, why? It is hard to live knowing nothing. We need to know..."

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/world...1?pageNumber=3

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
    "Mikhail Popkov: "I still love my husband who raped and murdered 22 women", says wife.

The family of a 'Werewolf' serial killer who raped and slaughtered 22 women have told the fiend: "We still love you."

Deranged Mikhail Popkov used axes, knives or screwdrivers to murder women in his home town of Angarsk, Russia in a twisted effort to "cleanse" the streets of prostitutes.

In a series of crimes that shocked his home country, 50-year-old Popkov was given the nickname 'The Werewolf' after one of his victims was beheaded and another had her heart carved from her body.

A former police officer, he used his work car to lure women to accompanying him at which point he would kill them and then rape their bodies.

He was caught in 2012 after investigators re-examined the case and carried out DNA testing of Angarsk residents, focusing on those who drove a car make whose tracks had been found at crime scenes.

Popkov was sentenced to life imprisonment after confessing the murders, but despite overwhelming evidence his family still believe him when he says he did not do it.

But wife Elena Popkova, 48, declared: "We have been married for 28 years. If I suspected something wrong, of course, I would divorce with him.

"I support him, I believe him. If he were to be released right now, I would not say a word and we would continue to live together.

"I love him, I support him. He did not cause me any harm for all these years. I felt safe with him."

Despite his confession, she said that when she met him ahead of his sentencing, he "denied everything", reported The Siberian Times.

"Even when our daughter asked him, he said, 'Katya, you understand that all these [allegations] are fairy tales. It is the system -- I have worked within it, I know this system well."

The mass murderer's 27 year old daughter even said she had wanted to try and solve the crimes for herself to prove her father was innocent.

"I do not believe any of this. I always felt myself as 'Daddy's girl'," she claimed on Russian TV

"For 25 years we were together, hand in hand.

"We walked, rode bikes, went to the shops, and he met me from school.

"We both collect model cars, so we have the same hobby.

"I wanted to be a criminologist, so I read a book with tips of how investigators catch serial killers and there were also basic classifications [about murderers].

"Daddy doesn't fit any of these classifications -- he doesn't look like some maniac.

Popkov's pensioner mother Antonina also disputed that her son - who she calls Misha - was a mass killer.

"Where was the blood? His clothes should have been covered in blood or if he had tried to wash the blood away, the clothes would have been wet," she said.

"His wife would definitely have noticed all that.

"He loves his family, cherishes his daughter, and he dreamt about grandchildren. He would not have done this. He will remain my son, until my death.

"He studied well and from the very beginning he was excellent pupil. He loved to cook, pancakes or something like this and he was very neat, like me."

But, showing some doubt, she added: "Misha, give us some sign if you have done all this or not. And if so, why? It is hard to live knowing nothing. We need to know..."

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/world...1?pageNumber=3

Pierre,

I am wondering about the purpose of this thread, is it just for general information or does it have another purpose.

Of course it demonstrates two points:

1. Even when someone confesses, the family may still not accept the fact. That of course is nothing new.

2. Policeman can be killers too. Again I think most person are not surprised by such a revelation.

Steve

Comment

Shock horror.

But so what?
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

So what indeed.

If there is supposed to be a forced point of view regarding that serial killers and police cover-ups are synonymous terms, this is typical of Pierre.

Let's be blunt - there have been cases of policeman suspected or indeed shown to be murderers.

1) Prevost (a French killer who was a guardsman).
        2) George Cooke (who clubbed his former mistress to death in 1893 and was hanged as a result)
        3) Sub-Inspector Thomas Hartley Montgomery of the R.I.C. - murdered a bank teller in 1874, and after three trials found guilty of the murder and hanged.
        4) Lt. Charles Becker, head of the NYC anti-gambling squad of the Police Dept., who MAY HAVE (there has been some dispute about this) behind ordering a hit against gambler Herman "Beansie" Rosenthal in June 1912. The four thugs who did it were eventually electrocuted, as was Becker in 1915.
        5) Auxiliary police officer John Reginald Halisday Christie - who had the post during the Blitz in World War II. Of course he is the only one I had heard of who was a serial killer.

I'm sure there are others. However cover-up is another matter. Unless one wants to believe that Becker was framed in 1912-1915, or Christie's career given an additional few years after his testimony in the trial of Timothy Evans.

Jeff

Comment

There was another one this year or last, too - he beat his wife to death, happened in Northampton. Adrian Goldsmith, I think.

Again, not sure I see the relevance. Assuming there is supposed to be relevance, of course.

Comment

Oh no here we go again...

Comment

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
              Pierre,

I am wondering about the purpose of this thread, is it just for general information or does it have another purpose.

Of course it demonstrates two points:

1. Even when someone confesses, the family may still not accept the fact. That of course is nothing new.

2. Policeman can be killers too. Again I think most person are not surprised by such a revelation.

Steve
              Well, another point is of course the character of the murders.

There are some similarities between Popkov and the Whitechapel killer.

Pierre
              Last edited by Pierre; 10-30-2016, 07:57 AM.

Comment

I blame Punxsutawney Phil.

Again!

Comment

Working...
                X