No announcement yet.

The Cachous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you ask the question why didn't she drop the cachous to fight, the answer is nobody does unless they have received specific combat training. I once held a bowl of jell-o over my head while kicking the crap out of a guy who tried to grab me when I was going into a party. And it makes me feel like an ass. I don't even like Jello. Still extraordinarily common. It's not a choice you make. Divesting yourself of things that might hamper you is a choice you make. It's a natural habit in almost no one.

So here's a perfect example. If you ever learn to water ski they tell you that if you fall to let go of the rope. Otherwise you get dragged tumbling about getting hit in the face with your skis until you either let go or die. Really simple, very important thing. Let go of the rope.

Nobody lets go of the rope. Nobody. It isn't until after being dragged like that behind the boat about a dozen times do you start to let go of the rope immediately. And even if you have been doing it professionally for 30 years, there are still times you don't let go of the rope. It can kill you not to do it, and people still die from exactly that every summer. And nobody knows why we don't do it. Everything was okay, then it wasn't, and you hold on to the rope because you were holding on to the rope. That's why. It went from a blast to a survival situation, and no part of you is replaying what your instructor said to do. Not until your body gets used to the emergency situation.

She held on to the cachous because she got no instruction from her brain to do otherwise. If it had been a watermelon she likely would have held on to the watermelon. It's what we do. If your brain doesn't specifically tell you to do something, you don't do it. And when we are terrified our brain is busy doing other things. We can train ourselves to do it, and if we can think about it we can choose to do it. But almost nobody does it on reflex.

It's actually why there are as many bludgeoning murders as there are. Someone gets angry and they hit someone, forgetting they had a brick, or a hammer, or the shower head they were unclogging still in their hand. And if you can slap your unfaithful boyfriend and instead accidentally stove his face in with a skillet you were about to put on the stove, you can die with a fist full of candy.
    The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
      Why?

As opposed to her having them herself.
      There seems to be a pattern.

Chapman had been carrying medication and her "pockets" were searched.
      We know any pills had been transferred to a torn envelope.
      The original box may have been labelled with the person who prescribed them.

She had TB that had spread to her brain.

There seems to have been an attempt to decapitate her.
      My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
        Stride was 'seen' that night at various nearby locations, by Best, Gardner, Marshall, Brown, Matthew Packer and PC Smith, the vast majority of whom were mistaken or lying, although Smith seems to have been observant. That still doesn't mean that the woman involved in the altercation with BS man was Stride, that Stride and client couldn't have moved away, or that Schwartz couldn't have been wrong in his timing.
        Hi Rosella,

I wouldn't rule out the possibility that Schwartz observed an altercation between the same "young man and his sweetheart", observed by Fanny Mortimer, who were clearly in the vicinity around the same time. Interestingly, I don't believe they came forward for elimination purposes. They might also have been the same couple observed by James Brown.

I would also note that Schwartz doesn't mention the woman he saw wearing a flower, referred to by PC Smith, which might further suggest she wasn't Stride.

Comment

"In Berner, no one can hear you scream." Fiddly D Scott

Hello John. Thanks.

"Yes, that might work! Mind you, it would risk waking up Mrs D in the kitchen!"

Perhaps he screamed it at her--but not loudly. (heh-heh)

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

size

Helo DJA. Welcome to the boards.

1. How large are these?

2. How many can be wrapped in tissue paper and grasped between thumb and forefinger?

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

bounce

Hello Dusty.

"A cachous, a cachous they all fall down."

Well, not quite all. But if you are bounced off the pavement . . .

Cheers.
              LC

Comment

Lurch, to the harpsichord.

Hello Errata. But if the boat lurches and pulls the rope away?

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                  Hello John. Thanks.

"Yes, that might work! Mind you, it would risk waking up Mrs D in the kitchen!"

Perhaps he screamed it at her--but not loudly. (heh-heh)

Cheers.
                  LC
                  Hello Lynn,

Yes, I find that part of Schwartz's evidence a little puzzling. I mean, how do you scream at someone "not very loudly"? Surely, a definition of a scream is a loud noise/ shriek/howl. Schwartz seems to be contradicting himself. I mean, he might as well have said that she whispered a scream!

In fact, he states she screamed three times, which indicates she was alarmed, and getting increasingly desperate, and was therefore probably trying to summon assistance- not that Schwartz was much use, or Pipeman, for that matter! And if that was her intention, why would she not scream loudly?
                  Last edited by John G; 05-12-2015, 12:04 AM.

Comment

She in a state of strangulation at some stage because her scarf was pulled tight. So that's that for the lack of loud shouting hypothesis.
                    Bona fide canonical and then some.

Comment

Originally posted by Batman View Post
                      She in a state of strangulation at some stage because her scarf was pulled tight. So that's that for the lack of loud shouting hypothesis.
                      Schwartz doesn't mention BS man strangling Stride. He certainly doesn't say that that was the reason for a muffled scream.

Comment

I agree with errata. Much of this clutching business doesn't have to be a conscious decision at all.

Its also amazing the amount of alcoholics that crash to earth unconscious but manage to keep the precious bottle of booze upright.

Plus if the alternative killer hypothesis says their killer put them into her hand then there is no reason why BSman could too.

Comment

Originally posted by Batman View Post
                          I agree with errata. Much of this clutching business doesn't have to be a conscious decision at all.

Its also amazing the amount of alcoholics that crash to earth unconscious but manage to keep the precious bottle of booze upright.

Plus if the alternative killer hypothesis says their killer put them into her hand then there is no reason why BSman could too.
                          I agree. When thrown to the ground it would be an unconscious/instinctive reaction to open your hands to break the fall. BS man had just assaulted Stride, causing her to be sufficiently alarmed to scream three times. I hardly think she's going to be placated by the offer of a few sweets and a stroll into a dark alley/cul-de-sac.

Comment

Originally posted by John G View Post
                            Schwartz doesn't mention BS man strangling Stride. He certainly doesn't say that that was the reason for a muffled scream.
                            After being called Lipski he ran away. However since we have the forensics of a tightens scarf there must have been strangulation at some point. Why not after he shouted Lipski?

Comment

Originally posted by John G View Post
                              I hardly think she's going to be placated by the offer of a few sweets and a stroll into a dark alley/cul-de-sac.
                              Again its her perception that matters not what BSmans actual intent was.

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                                Helo DJA. Welcome to the boards.

1. How large are these?

2. How many can be wrapped in tissue paper and grasped between thumb and forefinger?

Cheers.
                                LC
                                Thanks Lynn and GUT.

I had an old MIMS,however possibly no longer listed in the Annual.
                                The online site is of little use.
                                Was once used to treat what we now call Ulcerative Colitis.

Would depend on strength and the amount of filler in the tablet/lozenge.

Used to work for May and Baker.

From Frederick Blackwell's testimony, a small packet of cachous wrapped in tissue paper was in Stride's partially closed left hand.

Pick a number between 1 and 90.
                                Last edited by DJA; 05-12-2015, 02:04 AM. Reason: GIF
                                My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Working...
                                X