No announcement yet.

What did a carman look like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Fisherman;374335]Nope - we only know that it seems so, and that owes to how he wore it in court. But strictly speaking that only proves he wore it in court.

But if we go back to my original post, wasn't there an also indication from the witness statements that Cross and Paul looked like carmen? ie they must have been wearing aprons, as in my original question, what does a carman look like?

Which I really meant to ask, not what they probably looked like (from which we can only tell from old photos), but how did they look to the witnesses at the time?

Comment

the pictures of the Carmen with their sacking aprons got me wondering:

Per the previous discussion on: if Carmen didn't help load and unload etc. what do they need a sacking apron for?

Comment

Warmth.

Some Carmen would have pitched in with the loading and unloading.

The Livery Company and the trade had become unregulated.
        My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

[QUOTE=Billiou;374339]
          Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
          Nope - we only know that it seems so, and that owes to how he wore it in court. But strictly speaking that only proves he wore it in court.

But if we go back to my original post, wasn't there an also indication from the witness statements that Cross and Paul looked like carmen? ie they must have been wearing aprons, as in my original question, what does a carman look like?

Which I really meant to ask, not what they probably looked like (from which we can only tell from old photos), but how did they look to the witnesses at the time?
          The best guess would be that they wore their aprons and caps. Then again, the caps had signs on them at times, so maybe that was enough to point to a carmanship. There is also the time aspect to consider - maybe people who traversed the East End from east to west at that time of the day were mostly carmen, and so Mizen made his guess from that knowledge to a degree.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
            the pictures of the Carmen with their sacking aprons got me wondering:

Per the previous discussion on: if Carmen didn't help load and unload etc. what do they need a sacking apron for?
            That is a very good question, Abby, and I wish I had thought of it myself...!

Comment

This is interesting.

It includes this about Pickfords' procedures:

Every van has a driver and a "book-carrier," who acts as conductor and delivers the goods. At night, when his van is unloaded, and after its final journey, the book-carrier goes to his head office, and "books" his work - which means giving a detailed and statistical account of his transactions during the day. These accounts are then sent to Wood Street, and there duly filed.

Comment

Today, carriage driving is a very posh sport. It's participants still wear aprons, and the reasons given are that it keeps the driver warm and protects his legs from 'soiling'.

Perhaps a carman was easy to spot because he wore a very long apron designed to keep horse crap off his trousers.
                Last edited by MrBarnett; 03-22-2016, 02:25 PM.

Comment

I doubt this man ever delivered a pork chop in his life (even though he is a dead ringer for Charles Lechmere):

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	666616
                  Last edited by MrBarnett; 03-22-2016, 02:36 PM.

Comment

A carman's first duty was to attend to his horse,feed it rub it down etc.So it could be a little messy,hence the need of an apron.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                      I doubt this man ever delivered a pork chop in his life (even though he is a dead ringer for Charles Lechmere):

[ATTACH]17515[/ATTACH]
                      But you will notice he has a wrap around his waist (probably a blanket not an apron but serves the same function).
                      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

The waist apron was the "dress" version.

Comprehensive and entertaining guidebook describes how a well-turned out carriage should look and be handled. Wealth of information about horses, harnesses, coaches, stables and liveries, plus "suggestions to the inexperienced." Over 100 captioned period photographs of coachmen, carts, gigs, phaetons, landaus, runabouts, much more.
                        dustymiller
                        aka drstrange

Comment

IF carmen did load raw meat onto the carts (and we still don't know whether they did at Pickfords) surely they would carry loins, legs etc as modern meat workers do. That is, wrapped in linen or netting coverings and over their shoulders, in which case an apron wouldn't be much use? If that was the case then the apron probably was a bit of a shield against the muck and grime of Victorian streets and against flying horse poo not blood.

Comment

Hi Gut,

It's called an apron. It's worn by the driver of a carriage in a very traditional sport.

Perhaps Lech. was more worried about blood smears on his midriff than horse-**** on his trousers...

Of course, we have no evidence that Lech. carted meat, but we can be pretty sure that horses relieved themselves in those days as they do now.

Gary

Comment

Too bad the apron wasn't made of leather.

On the beard issue, one would expect him to change his appearance if he were the killer, which I think was Fish's allusion.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnaby View Post
                                Too bad the apron wasn't made of leather.

On the beard issue, one would expect him to change his appearance if he were the killer, which I think was Fish's allusion.
                                Every time?
                                The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Working...
                                X