A question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question

Having read through many of the newspaper articles written at the time of the murders and had a look at the photos in the archive section, i was wondering when the newspapers themselves actually had photos in them rather than the artists illustrations we see so often with the ripper case ? did certain newspapers of the day actually print photos or did they all just employ artists ?

thanks

Jason

Originally posted by Jason View Post
    Having read through many of the newspaper articles written at the time of the murders and had a look at the photos in the archive section, i was wondering when the newspapers themselves actually had photos in them rather than the artists illustrations we see so often with the ripper case ? did certain newspapers of the day actually print photos or did they all just employ artists ?

It appears that photos in newspapers were not viable until 1897
    allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

thanks stephen. the casebook itself has hundreds of articles from the various papers of the time, i was wondering whether any of them actually printed any photographs later of the sites which may as yet be unknown to ourselves. I imagine there was still a fascination with the crimes in the years after so would it be out of the realms of possibilty that a photograph was printed in a paper years later that we dont know of ?

Some of those newspapers are no longer in existence, where would one start to look ?

Comment

if the papers were anything like today, surely they would do the usual 10 year, 25 years revisit of the event ? a la kennedy, Diana etc...should anything be able to be sourced, then at least we could keep the likely amount of papers to be searched down to a realistic level !!

Comment

Newspaper Archive

Hello Jason. Some of the old defunct newspapers are available online through Newspaper Archive. Their rates are VERY affordable--about a pound per month.

Good luck!

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

thanks Lynn, i have a feeling this could yield something of interest.

Comment

Working...
            X