Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by cobalt 9 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: A theory about some injuries! - by Fisherman 9 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by RockySullivan 9 hours ago.
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by cobalt 10 hours ago.
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by cobalt 10 hours ago.
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - by ChrisGeorge 13 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (11 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: A theory about some injuries! - (10 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (8 posts)
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - (6 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: Centenaries - whole and half - (2 posts)
Audio -- Visual: Mention of JtR in recent episode of "The Flash" - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Letters and Communications > Goulston Street Graffito

View Poll Results: Did Jack write the GSG?
YES 75 38.66%
NO 119 61.34%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-04-2015, 02:50 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
According to this though a person who is seen to be attacked and who is dead 5 minutes later is equally as likely to have killed by anyone else other than the attacker.
When you put it like that, of course it appears more suspicious.

But, the time of the assault was given by Schwartz as 12:45, and the time of the discovery given by Diemschitz was 1:00 am.

So she was found dead fifteen minutes later, not five.
And, if it was 1:00 am as Diemschitz passed the corner shop, then we may add another minute or two before he arrived at the yard.

The times given by the medical men do not supercede those given by the witnesses, all the times given are estimates.

Last edited by Wickerman : 05-04-2015 at 03:16 PM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:00 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman View Post
When you put it like that, of course is appears more suspicious.

But, the time of the assault was given by Schwartz as 12:45, and the time of the discovery given by Diemschitz was 1:00 am.

And, if it was 1:00 am as Diemschitz passed the corner shop, then we may add another minute or two before he arrived at the yard.

The times given by the medical men do not supercede those given by the witnesses, all the times given are estimates.
And, of course, we have numerous sightings of Stride, during the night she was killed, in the company of other possible suspects.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:59 PM
Premium Member
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by John G View Post
When Schwartz says he ran as far as the railway arch, isn't it the case that he would have run past his own house?
Schwartz is likely referencing this well known landmark to point to the general area where he ended up.

Quote:
This seems a little odd to me. I mean, if he felt in danger, wouldn't he instinctively regard his own home as a place of refuge?
Also identifying where he lives. Maybe walk around a bit to see if the person is gone? Hence answering the first if we say he went to the arch.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:02 AM
Premium Member
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman View Post
When you put it like that, of course it appears more suspicious.

Okay you originally said 5, now 15. All of these times though still capture the time of death or close to it.

We are talking about the same area (literally a few feet). That is an important factor is discounting the 'other' killer hypothesis.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:15 AM
Premium Member
Inspector

Quote:
And, of course, we have numerous sightings of Stride, during the night she was killed, in the company of other possible suspects.
The fact we have numerous sightings makes an additional and likely final sighting by Schwartz more likely.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:43 AM
Commisioner

Default no worry

Hello J. Thanks.

Not a problem, understandable mistake.

Cheers.
LC
Old 05-05-2015, 01:48 AM
Commisioner

Default Parsley, sage, rosemary and . . . what's the other one?

Hello Jon. On the other hand, PC Lamb saith:

"Last Sunday morning, shortly before one o'clock, I was on duty in Commercial-road, between Christian-street and Batty-street, when two men came running towards me and shouting. I went to meet them, and they called out, "Come on, there has been another murder.""

Now IF Lamb is correct, then they must have started from the club around 12.55. And IF Dimshits is speaking truly about discovery, prodding, going into the club, etc. it's beginning to look like he discovered the body around 12.50.

Cheers.
LC
Old 05-05-2015, 04:55 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn cates View Post
Hello Jon. On the other hand, PC Lamb saith:

"Last Sunday morning, shortly before one o'clock, I was on duty in Commercial-road, between Christian-street and Batty-street, when two men came running towards me and shouting. I went to meet them, and they called out, "Come on, there has been another murder.""

Now IF Lamb is correct, then they must have started from the club around 12.55. And IF Dimshits is speaking truly about discovery, prodding, going into the club, etc. it's beginning to look like he discovered the body around 12.50.

Cheers.
LC
Hello Lynn,

It is worth mentioning the fact that PC lamb had no watch. However, Dr Blackwell did have a watch and noted the time upon arrival: 1:16am. And PC Lamb stated: "Dr Blackwell was the first doctor to arrive; he came ten or twelve minutes after myself, but I had no watch with me."

That of course suggests that he arrived between 1:04 and 1:06. If we allow for 5 minutes for him to get there-he was on duty between Christian Street and Batty Street when alerted- then he must have been notified around 1:00am or just after (Lamb said that he passed the top of Berner Street 6 or 7 minutes earlier, so if he was running he could presumably cover the distance a lot quicker.)

Morris Eagle was one of the men, the other being Kozebrodsky, who came back with PC Lamb. Eagle said that he saw Louis D running off just as he arrived in the Yard to check the body. As Eagle set off more or less straight away, in the opposite direction, that would suggest the time was around 12:55 or possibly slightly later. As Louis D didn't set off to get police assistance straight away, but ran into the club first, that would indicate that he discovered the body at about 12:50, which means your probably right!

However, if Lamb arrived at the Yard at the later time of 1:06, setting off at say 1:03, then I suppose it's possible that Eagle, at a push, could have left the Yard as late as 1:00am. Nonetheless, as Louis D had already gone for help at this time, after first going into the club before returning to examine the body, it would still indicate that Louis D must have discovered the body no latter than, say, 12:55.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:11 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Hi John
Just to clarify that prostitutes of the same ilk as Stride would have been desperate to earn money. That desperation would have taken them to the point of propositioning almost every man that they met.

It is therefore wrong for researchers to assume that the last person seen talking to her or with her was the killer.

Following the known altercation who is to say that she didn't continue to proposition men?

After all from a prostitutes perspective where could you go at that time of the night and expect to meet a large group of men, half drunk with money in their pockets ?

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
Old 05-05-2015, 05:24 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
Hi John
Just to clarify that prostitutes of the same ilk as Stride would have been desperate to earn money. That desperation would have taken them to the point of propositioning almost every man that they met.

It is therefore wrong for researchers to assume that the last person seen talking to her or with her was the killer.

Following the known altercation who is to say that she didn't continue to proposition men?

After all from a prostitutes perspective where could you go at that time of the night and expect to meet a large group of men, half drunk with money in their pockets ?

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
Hello Trevor,

Yes I agree. I think a number of scenarios are possible. I have speculated before that she may have gone to the club to meet someone, Lave for example, in which case he becomes a suspect. Or that one of the men she was seen with earlier, such as James Brown's suspect, may have followed her after unsuccessfully persuading Stride to go with him. And, if she did go to the club to meet someone, she could have arrived late and missed the rendezvous, thereby deciding to try the side door. Her killer might then have simply followed her down the passage.

Nonetheless, Schwartz's evidence is so grossly incompatible with the cachous problem, discussed at length on this thread, I simply can't see BS man, assuming he even existed, being her killer.