Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pinkerton View Post
    As opposed to...?
    As opposed to a government that believes the individual has the right to think, do, say and eat whatever the individual decides, with the sole exception that it doesn't impinge on the rights of others to do the same.

Let all Oz be agreed;
    I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Well yes, Ally said it - except she used the word "right" twice. Maybe it's just me, but whenever I hear the word "right" I have visions of lawyers.

Comment

Originally posted by Ally View Post
        As opposed to a government that believes the individual has the right to think, do, say and eat whatever the individual decides, with the sole exception that it doesn't impinge on the rights of others to do the same.
        Okay, I'll bite Ally. The last time I checked it was the RIGHT that has fought to keep drugs illegal, keep prostitution illegal, the right to end my own life illegal, fought in the U.S. to make flag burning illegal, not allowed gays to get married, etc. Is this then all political correctness?
        Jeff

Comment

No. Neither the right nor the left fight for actual individuality for people to choose their own destinations in life. The right takes away rights under the guise of protection of life and jesus and the left does it under a fake premise of egalitarian utopia. They are both wrong.

That's why a smart person is neither.
          Last edited by Ally; 02-19-2009, 01:27 AM.

Let all Oz be agreed;

Comment

Originally posted by Nothing to see View Post
            Look, the article says he weighs 19 stone. Be a bit difficult to miss,don't you think? A bit difficult to move, I would also think.
            If there's one thing Peter Sutcliffe has proved himself to be, that is resourceful.
            "Damn it, Doc! Why did you have to tear up that letter? If only I had more time... Wait a minute, I got all the time I want! I got a time machine!"

Comment

He's 61 years old. He's apparently totally harmless now, according to parole officers: which is what tends to happen to serial killers of his age. But he wont be allowed out, he is being let out of Broadmoor and sent to a regular security prison. It is unlikely he'll ever get out.

Comment

Originally posted by Celesta View Post
                Is this just about rehabilitation? What about punishment for his crimes?
                I think it boils down to this. And as unpopular as it will be on this board, I'm not into punishment for several reasons. The biggest is that no amount of punishment will bring the victims back. And capital punishment/longer prison sentences really aren't deterrents. So what's the point? I'm not into this eye-for-an-eye mentality and so I think if he's rehabilitated then release him. Of course, how can we be sure that he is rehabilitated? The chimp was well-trained too... On the other hand, the government could put a positive spin on this: "We rehabilitated a notorious serial killer!" If successful (big if), it may change society's view of the role of prison which to me is still medieval.

A similar case for release (actually a better one) could be made for the Manson followers.
                Last edited by Barnaby; 02-19-2009, 08:43 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by Barnaby View Post
                  I think it boils down to this. And as unpopular as it will be on this board, I'm not into punishment for several reasons. The biggest is that no amount of punishment will bring the victims back. And capital punishment/longer prison sentences really aren't deterrents. So what's the point? I'm not into this eye-for-an-eye mentality and so I think if he's rehabilitated then release him. Of course, how can we be sure that he is rehabilitated? The chimp was well-trained too... On the other hand, the government could put a positive spin on this: "We rehabilitated a notorious serial killer!" If successful (big if), it may change society's view of the role of prison which to me is still medieval.

A similar case for release (actually a better one) could be made for the Manson followers.
                  Well if you look at the modern aim of the prison most western nations already think like this. Oh and at least you guys have Governments who don't increase the number of crimes on the statute books at the same time as decreasing the number of prisons.

Chris Lowe

Comment

Anyone who isn't deterred by capital punishment or a long prison sentence, is too stupid to be let loose on society.

Comment

I read this morning it's probable he will be released from Broadmoor. I've read all your comments as well. If a board certified psychiatrist determines that Sutcliffe is no longer a danger to society, then it's going to take another board certified psychiatrist to examine Sutcliffe and disagree. You agree?

I have no idea if he's going to be moved. The probability seems yes. Have people really forgotten what Sutcliffe did? Obviously not. He killed more than Jack but it's interesting that Jack has his own website.

OK. I'm waiting for someone to come on line and tell me that Sutcliffe has his own website. In this world, I'd believe it.

Like I said, hanging back in '82 would have been the appropriate response. There you go.
                      http://oznewsandviews.proboards.com

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkerton View Post

And please British right-wingers...will you PLEASE stop using the term "political correctness" in every other post on this board! Geesh! I've been meaning to bring this up for a couple of years now but haven't to avoid sounding too "confrontational". But in every thread on this board where something remotely "political" becomes the topic of discussion at least ONE poster has to use this term to describe ANYTHING they consider "left of center". That's fine if you want to argue against policies you disagree with, but stop using tired old cliched terms that make you sound ignorant (though I'm not accusing the above two posters of necessarily being "ignorant"). I'm assuming the posters above are Brits since this is the only message board I've been to where this term is more bandied about (and this board isn't even ABOUT politics)! I believe the American right burned out on this term about 5-10 years ago, except maybe in the southern U.S.
                        Just to be clear- I'm not British (I live in about the very center of North America) and if you knew me you would definitely not call me a right-winger. I'm not a left-winger either so I guess I'd be an Independent. The Hinckley reference was something that just popped into my head because he has been let out temporarily and I would have mentioned it even if he had shot a Democrat. I still hear the PC term every now and then, and I was only using it in reference to how others might label me for being judgemental on someone who's mentally ill. Actually I don't think wanting a notorious serial killer with 20 victims to stay locked up for life has anything to do with politics.

Comment

OK. British. American. It's cool. We can all have our opinions. But don't waste your time and effort over Sutcliffe. He's bad. End of story.
                          http://oznewsandviews.proboards.com

Comment

he's been attacked many times inside...
                            he's had a pen stuck in his eye...
                            a broken teapot stuck into his face...
                            someone tried to stab him in the other eye a few years ago...
                            a prisoner tried to strangle him with the radio flex...
                            there was a picture of him in the paper a year or so ago...
                            he's not unrecoqnisable at all...just older,fatter and a face full of scars

he had a note displayed in his cab window that said

"in this truck is a man whose latent genius, if unleashed,
                            would rock the nation,
                            whose dynamic energy would overpower those around him.
                            better let him sleep"

someone wants to give him the big sleep...he'll be attacked or killed if he was ever let out...

Comment

Originally posted by Barnaby View Post
                              I think it boils down to this. And as unpopular as it will be on this board, I'm not into punishment for several reasons. The biggest is that no amount of punishment will bring the victims back.
                              The point of punishment is not to bring the victims back and it's not eye for an eye either. It's to make sure, PERMANENTLY that they never get the opportunity to snuff out another person ever again.

You cannot guarantee that they won't commit murder if they are released. They have proven themselves completely unconcerned with violation of people's lives in the past and as you say, people who think like this, there is no deterrent sufficient to prevent them from doing it in the future. The only way to guarantee they don't do it again, is either to kill them or keep them locked up for life.

Killing them is more efficient. Just like that chimp you mentioned. You put down rabid animals. That's just logical.

Let all Oz be agreed;

Comment

Hi Ally.

I couldn't agree more with everything you said.

I actually had that monster just 200 yards away from me, shortly before he was arrested, but without knowing it at the time.

As a lorry driver, he delivered some goods to a local warehouse, which was managed by my cousin, who had a lengthy conversation with him. It was something of a shock for my cousin when he saw Sutcliffe's photo in the newspaper a few weeks later.

There is no way he should ever be considered for release.

Best regards.

DYLAN

Comment

Working...
                                X