• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't get there from here.

Hello Jon. Thanks.

"I think it means three screams that were not very loud."

Oxymoron.

Not sure how we get from an oxymoron to a squeal?

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

In the news.

Hello (again) Jon. Thanks.

"Schwartz gave his statement on Sunday afternoon . . .

Saucy Jack was posted Sunday. . ."

So both on the same day? In which case, a newsman looks like the writer of the card.

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

Hi Lynn

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
        It`s like I`m sitting next to you during a presentation at the Ripper Conference and I`m continually poking you in the ribs for fun, and you finally object in some vocal manner.

Later, I`m at the bar and I`m regaling everyone of my antics during the presentation and I say "yeah, till Lynn squealed and Adam Wood asked me to leave"

Perhaps, it`s an English thing?

Comment

Hi Lynn

So both on the same day? In which case, a newsman looks like the writer of the card.
          Saucy Jack didn`t arrive at the Central News Agency until 1st Oct.

I suppose it could have been someone connected to the Star. But they didn`t track Schwartz down until early evening on Sunday at best.
          That`s a bit tight in making the post for Monday so looks like the author was someone connected to Schwartz, or the killer. Id say it was more likely to be the killer as the author refers to the ears from the Dear boss letter.

Comment

Hello Jon. Thanks.

Oxymoron.

Cheers.
            LC
            Hi Lynn

I vote for screams heard by a half-deaf (Hungarian).

Comment

Originally posted by DRoy View Post
              Mike,

You're saying Schwartz's 'testimony' (perhaps we should use statement here?) has no connection to the murder but he should not be dismissed. Can I ask what you mean?

Cheers
              DRoy
              What I said was no "direct" connection. Schwartz never said he saw someone being murdered. He identified the woman who would become the victim and he talked about two men who he never claimed were connected to each other. He only made a statement of activity he witnessed. There is nothing in his statement that shows real knowledge of what happened. If he was involved in some cover up (which he wasn't), the information would have been certainly more damning to the man (men) he discussed.

Mike
              huh?

Comment

Originally posted by DRoy View Post

You're saying Schwartz's 'testimony' (perhaps we should use statement here?)
                Testimony means the same thing unless you are referring to legal terminology. I'm not.

Mike
                huh?

Comment

Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post
                  There is nothing in his statement that shows real knowledge of what happened. If he was involved in some cover up (which he wasn't), the information would have been certainly more damning to the man (men) he discussed.

Mike
                  Right you are, Mike

Comment

Hello Jon. Thanks.

Oxymoron.

Cheers.
                    LC
                    There is a noise people make, mostly women, when they are offended, appalled, right before they say things like "Well I never!" or "How dare you!". It's like a high pitched exhale, sometimes sounding like "Oh!" or "Ugh!". I mean, everyone has heard this sort of gasp of outrage, it's just hard to describe. I think the quiet screams were that. It's hard to describe for me, who has a very good command of the English language, imagine trying to translate it.

It also makes sense given the context. And I'm betting it was not a phenomenon amongst Eastern European women, because the gasp is a social clue that a person has done something unacceptable. It precedes the dressing down. We do it a lot, give people a hint and a chance to walk it back before yelling at them. The Eastern European women of my family didn't give clues. They either stayed silent and complained about it later, or beat you over the head with it with the fury of god's own thunder. So Schwartz would have been hard pressed to describe it in his own language if there wasn't a word for it.
                    The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by DVV View Post
                      3 weeks without any murder.
                      Then no murder until Nov 9, indoors.
                      Over at Howards place we have been talking about a character (John Simmonds) who suffered from syphilis, and was admitted to the infirmary on Oct. 9th for treatment, then released Nov. 5th

Discarding Stride (or Eddowes, as Arnold did) is the grossest mistake one can make.
                      I don't think it is necessary to make a firm decision one way or the other, as we simply do not know.
                      For my part I think I can identify a handful of point in support of either view.
                      So I guess you can say I have not found the clincher to persuade me one way or the other.
                      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post
                        Testimony means the same thing unless you are referring to legal terminology. I'm not.
                        Mike
                        I try to limit "testimony" to people who gave evidence at the inquest (testimony = a sworn statement), otherwise what ever they said is only a statement to either the press or police.
                        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

informing

Hello Jon. Thanks.

Ah, now I see what you mean--a bit of equivocation. "Squeal" meaning, in this case, "to inform."

So Liz informed on her assailant?

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

Star

Hello (again) Jon. Thanks.

"I suppose it could have been someone connected to the Star."

Good thinking.

"But they didn't track Schwartz down until early evening on Sunday at best."

For the interview? Agreed. But when would "The Star" first have become aware of the story?

Cheers.
                            LC

Comment

deaf as a post

Hello David. Thanks.

I'm sorry, could you speak up a bit? (heh-heh)

Cheers.
                              LC

Comment

qualification

Hello Errata. Thanks.

OK. But are these "noises" usually loud? Seems that Israel needed to qualify the screams with respect to loudness. Naturally, as screams are usually loud.

Cheers.
                                LC

Comment

Working...
                                X