No announcement yet.

Stride Bruising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sketches of persons from life which we might deem reliable are those of people present at the Inquest, where we know the reporters were also present.

Sketches which might be deemed unreliable are those done from written reports, like Hutchinson's description of Astrachan.

And, as no reporter was present when Hutchinson claimed to see him then any sketch of how Hutchinson appeared that night is entirely questionable.

Not at all in the same league as the first example.
    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Jon,

Agreed. It takes a bit of research to determine what should be deemed truthful and what shouldn't be. Because it was printed doesn't necessarily make it so. I don't think too many would argue with you...well except Ben because you two can't agree on anything

Cheers
      Droy

Comment

• Originally posted by DRoy View Post
        ...well except Ben because you two can't agree on anything
        We have what might be described as a 'black and white' relationship.

If I say 'black', Ben will say 'white', when I say 'up', Ben will say 'down'.

Ben follows me around like a shadow, though that is where any similarity ends. A shadow agrees with you in every way
        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

If I say 'black', Ben will say 'white', when I say 'up', Ben will say 'down'.
          I think there´s every chance that Ben may disagree with that, Jon ...

The best,
          Fisherman

Comment

• Decomposition had commenced in the skin. Dark brown spots were on the anterior surface of the left chin.
            The above is from the post-mortem as quoted in the 4th October edition of The Times...although the report subsequently records Bagster Phillips as saying there was no bruising of the scalp, could the reports of bruising to the left side of the face in the Illustrated Police News be perhaps derived from a misunderstanding of this part of the evidence?

All the best

Dave

Comment

• An interesting observation Dave, lets compare reports.

Dark brown spots were on the anterior surface of the left chin. There was a deformity in the bones of the right leg, which was not straight, but bowed forwards.
              Times, 4th Oct.

Dark brown spots on anterior surface of left shin, and slight ulceration scab in front of skin on right leg. There is a deformity in the lower fifth of the bones of the right leg, which are not straight, but bow forward; there is thickening above the left ankle.
              Morning Advertiser, 4th Oct.

Is the context referring to her face, or her leg?

Nothing is ever so clear cut
              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Hi Jon

Yet, either way, it might well be if it were typically lazy second-hand spacefiller reporting...in which I suspect a reporter working for a weekly rag just might have indulged...but at this distance, (as you suggest), who can tell?

Dave

Comment

• Ben follows me around like a shadow
                  Well, Jon, I'm not sure quite what else you expect when you keep trying to goad me into arguments, like this for instance (post 431):

I seem to recall someone putting faith in the IPN (Nov. 24th) when they posted about the sketch of Hutchinson watching Astrachan.
                  You know full well that "someone" was me.

So I'll take the bait and address this business about the Hutchinson sketch and the IPN (again!) before we return - immediately and without a fuss - to the topic of Stride's bruising.

The drawing of Astrakhan and Kelly was evidently based on reports of their appearances (as described by Hutchinson in the former's case), and the same might reasonably be said of the Hutchinson sketch. It doesn't matter in the slightest if the individual reporters or sketchers from the IPN didn't see any of the depicted individuals in the flesh. They were perfectly capable of working on the basis of descriptions supplied. It's obvious nonsense to suggest that only descriptions of people who attended the inquest can be considered accurate. The IPN sketch of Astrakhan evidently sought to be as accurate as possible with regard to Hutchinson's description of the Astrakhan man, and with Kelly too there was an obvious attempt to incorporate other eyewitness descriptions, such as Mary Cox's description of a shawl or pellerine. Logically, therefore, they would have done the same with Hutchinson himself, who was also depicted in the sketch, and it is surely no coincidence that it tallies very well indeed with the description provided by Sarah Lewis of a man; apparently not tall, stout, and wearing a wideawake.

Regards,
                  Ben
                  Last edited by Ben; 06-02-2013, 11:59 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben View Post
                    Well, Jon, I'm not sure quite what else you expect when you keep trying to goad me into arguments, like this for instance (post 431):

I seem to recall someone putting faith in the IPN (Nov. 24th) when they posted about the sketch of Hutchinson watching Astrachan.
                    You know full well that "someone" was me.
                    I deliberately avoided mentioning a name because I was not sure whether the article was mentioned by two people, who occasionally play with the same deck.
                    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Working...
                    X