Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Maybrick, James: Diary Handwriting - by David Orsam 5 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: Diary Handwriting - by Herlock Sholmes 13 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: Diary Handwriting - by David Orsam 20 minutes ago.
Doctors and Coroners: Eddowes' gut cut - by Varqm 29 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: Diary Handwriting - by Herlock Sholmes 44 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: Diary Handwriting - by David Orsam 55 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Maybrick, James: Diary Handwriting - (18 posts)
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - (10 posts)
Doctors and Coroners: Eddowes' gut cut - (8 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: Dennis Nilsen - (7 posts)
A6 Murders: scan of Hanratty statement re Rhyl alibi - (3 posts)
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A 20th Century Word Processor - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Witnesses

Old 02-18-2008, 09:56 AM
Constable

Default The Pipe Man/ Israel Schwartz

I know that there was an execellent thread on the previous forum which included a newspaper article involving Israel Schwartz and was wondering if there was any possible way of salvaging it or restarting a new thread on this? I can't seem to remember whether Dan or Tom Wescott originally posted the information.

Regards,
Justin
Old 04-04-2009, 01:17 PM
Cadet

I think that big shoulder man and pipe man were working together, I believe that pipeman was the one who done the cutting once the big guy had strangled the victim. I have always wondered how 1 man could carry out such a murder and not be spotted, well I believe there was a look out, also the murders are all near alleyways an ideal spot if youve got a lookout, pipeman was the lookout he was standing there smoking his pipe acting cool, could pipeman have been Joe Barnett? Think about it once they had been spotted by the witness theres not alot they could have done about it.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:20 PM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
I think that big shoulder man and pipe man were working together, I believe that pipeman was the one who done the cutting once the big guy had strangled the victim. I have always wondered how 1 man could carry out such a murder and not be spotted, well I believe there was a look out, also the murders are all near alleyways an ideal spot if youve got a lookout, pipeman was the lookout he was standing there smoking his pipe acting cool, could pipeman have been Joe Barnett? Think about it once they had been spotted by the witness theres not alot they could have done about it.
Huh? Who did the what to the who now? Too many conspiracy theories rolled into one.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Cadet

Nobody would make any money out of a simple solution.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:51 AM
Commisioner

Hi Justin, I'm sorry that I'm just now seeing your post from February. Perhaps you could give me a few more details as to the article or thread in question and I'll see if I can help.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Old 04-05-2009, 04:01 AM
Inspector

Quote:
yes i've read similar too; it's about 4 years ago, in this theory Pipeman might have been R.D' Onston but i'm not going to comment on this
Old 04-05-2009, 11:44 AM
Sergeant

I just thought someone should chime in to argue for the standard, non-conspiracy theory, just for some balance. Schwartz came along and happened upon Jack the Ripper attacking Liz. As he was crossing the street to avoid the scene the Ripper noticed him, saw his obviously Jewish appearance and shouted "Lipski!" at him as a way of saying "Get the hell out of here," (Lipski having become a derogatory term for Jews). Pipeman was another innocent bystander who had just happened along, beginning to light his pipe at the same moment the attack began, and when he also started to walk away in the same direction as Schwartz, Schwartz thought he was chasing him so he ran.

I guess I'm a traditionalist in many ways, but this prosaic theory has always seemed the most likely to me. The principle of Occam's Razor states that in a general sense, the simplest solution is usually the correct one.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:11 PM
Suspended

Quote:
could pipeman have been Joe Barnett?
Hi Sam,
No, Pipeman couldn't be Barnett.
If Barnett was the killer, he must have been a lone killer, with a very personal motive.

Amitiés,
David
Old 06-05-2009, 10:05 PM
Constable

Tom,

I remember it as a more recent thread from the Israel Schwartz thread in the old witnesses section of the Casebook forum right before it crashed last time around.

Basically after the initial "Lipski" Incident, to the best of my knowledge, someone standing outside followed someone in pursuit soon after, known as the pipe man. It may not be all correct as my memory on it is a bit hazy, but I know someone posted it with an interesting newspaper article that piqued my interest.

Kind Regards,
Justin
Old 06-05-2009, 10:51 PM
Commisioner

Hi Justin. Since it might be a few months before you read this and reply again (wink) I'll see if I can't answer your question. I believe the article you're referring to appeared in the Echo newspaper. The reporter attended a meeting of the Workingmen's club and spoke with William Wess who was clearly aware of the Schwartz incident. Either Wess told a jumbled account or the reporter recorded it jumbled, but it basically made Schwartz out to be the bad guy and Pipeman as the good guy. Wess knew the man's name, but claimed to have forgotten it, and said the man was not a member of the club. Of course, the police wanted to keep Schwartz's name hush, and although Schwartz probably was not a card carrying member of the club (most attendees and residents were not), he possbily lived there until the day of the murder.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott