Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Lee Harvey Oswald Kill Officer J D Tippit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kennedy's approval rating had dropped to 56% a month before his death but I think it is most likely that he would have been reelected in 1964 against Goldwater although not by as large a margin as the LBJ election. Reagan's rating was 35% in 1983 and in 1984 he was reelected by the largest margin ever.

The guilt or whatever it is regarding the assassination has resulted in Kennedy being the most overrated President. We will never know what he would have done in the presumed next 5 years but in the 3 previous that we do know about he really didn't do much other than claim a victory in the Cuban Missile Crisis when it was at best a compromise - the Soviets got two things out of us and we only got one thing from them.
    Last edited by sdreid; 06-15-2012, 12:47 PM.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

It's comments like that by the previous poster which remind me, an Australian, how fortunate the world was to have JFK as the US leader in 1962 -- but we needed him in 1965 too.

The Viet Nam War ruined everything, in the short term and the long term ...

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan H View Post

Kennedy was the complete cynic, a charmer but a cynic, who spent most of his life in incredible pain from illness, and yet we would have been better off if he had lived -- because he was a cynical careerist.

For he had no intention of sacrificing his career, or his popularity, for African-Americans or for the South Vietnamese.
        How would his unwillingness to sacrifice his popularity for African Americans, the Vietnamese, and (let's be honest) U.S. Troops benefit us? Johnson worked ten times harder on Great Society legislation than Kennedy, and had enough regard for US troops to sacrifice his career for them. He couldn't see a way to win or a way to get out. So he gave up his second term so somebody could end the war. And he had enough regard for the American people that when his health started failing, and he became afraid he might die during a second term, he chose to leave office rather than put the public through that again.

Kennedy never would have. And in fact didn't. He was the first person with Addison's disease to survive surgery. Which was mostly a function of luck. The odds were still terrible, so god forbid he herniated himself and had to go under the knife. And god help the doctor who "killed" him because no one was willing to admit that the President had a life threatening condition. Kennedy had the opportunity and the will to remove US troops from Vietnam in '63. But he didn't think he could get re-elected if he did, so he left them there. And how anyone could benefit from a continuance of Jim Crow laws and violence against African Americans is beyond me.
        The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Short answer: Yes, and he tried to shoot another officer.
          There Will Be Trouble! http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Little-Tro...s=T.+E.+Hodden

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
            Hi Tel,

On the subject of Lovelady: The JFK Assassination was probably the biggest event in his life. Which is he more likely to have misremembered - the clothes he was wearing or where he was standing when JFK was shot?

Oswald's T-shirt has a round neck. The man in the doorway is wearing a T-shirt with a V-neck. The figure may not be Lovelady, but it may not be Oswald either. I don't think it is - because it doesn't look like him.

Regards, Bridewell.
            Yes. I noticed the difference in the tee shirt, but put the vee effect down to a shadow? I should think that he would remember both pretty clearly, to be honest. 'Clothes maketh the man' and I can remember what I was wearing on most of the notable occasions of my life.

Comment

Shadow

Originally posted by Tel View Post
              Yes. I noticed the difference in the tee shirt, but put the vee effect down to a shadow? I should think that he would remember both pretty clearly, to be honest. 'Clothes maketh the man' and I can remember what I was wearing on most of the notable occasions of my life.
              Hi Tel,

I wondered about the possibility of shadow too, so perhaps you're right. To be honest, I think it would be impossible to make a positive ID of anyone from such a grainy image.
              It would be good to know, with certainty, exactly what Oswald told the officers who interviewed him.

Regards, Bridewell
              I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

To Errata

I like LBJ too, another flawed giant, and the last liberal President.

But he did not leave office because of health (actually he lost his self-discipline about his health once he was stuck on his ranch in retirement hastening hiss fatal heart attack) or because he was trying to end the war via disengagement, or trying to help a successor to do any such thing.

Johnson wanted the war to continue so that something called South Viet Nam would be left in place, and the boys would not have died for nothing.

He wanted to run again in '68 until Eugene McCarthy and Bobby Kennedy made that too humiliating an option if he lost the primaries against the 'doves' (yet Johnson would still would have been nominated because the state machines still controlled a majority of the delegates to the convention. Hubert Humphrey did not run in a single primary and yet had it sown up the moment he announced by simply making a few phone calls)

A cold, cynical realist like JFK would have known that the boys were dying for nothing either from the start, or soon after the Communists matched the American escalation with their own -- which George Ball predicted, the one advisor who agreed in '62 with JFK about a missile swap with the Soviets to avoid, you know, a nuclear war.

What I mean was that had Kennedy lived then civil rights would, tragically, have not got through, not for some time, and there would have been no War on Poverty either.

That's all bad, and shows him to be less effective and less idealistic than LBJ, for sure.

On the other hand, JFK would have brought the same cautious, cold and cynical attitude towards propping up that corrupt, undemocratic, and unstable regime in Saigon, and he would have not had to worry about re-election -- unlike LBJ.

But when JFK died he had not, publicly, made any declaration about maybe letting Saigon fall. That would have been political suicide in 1963 and 1964.

So, Truman, Ike, and Kennedy tied LBJ to quicksand, for Johnson was never going to go against a living Truman, Ike, or a martyred JFK, in foreign affairs, against the bipartisan policy to Contain the spread of Communism, or to even suggest that the Domino Theory was less than sound -- despite Clarke Clifford (who was not even a member of the govt. in '65) and a lonely George Ball trying to convince him -- and failing -- to avert a catastrophe.

A catastrophe whose consequences live with us today, every day.

Whereas a naturally sceptical Kennedy, who thought his generals were a bunch of four-star clowns, would have listened to both those advisers and then calculated how bad things would get, for himself, when Ho Chi Minh rode through the streets of Saigon on TV...?

He might have let it happen.

Not because he was an idealist but because he was not one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan H View Post
                  A cold, cynical realist like JFK would have known that the boys were dying for nothing either from the start, or soon after the Communists matched the American escalation with their own -- which George Ball predicted, the one advisor who agreed in '62 with JFK about a missile swap with the Soviets to avoid, you know, a nuclear war.
                  We're gonna have to agree to disagree on why LBJ left office.

And I wouldn't have a problem with a cold, cynical realist. The problem is that there isn't a whole lot of evidence to support JFK actually being one. Sure he agreed to the missile swap. He agreed to a diplomatic approach, he agreed to a quarantine, AND he agreed to a full scale invasion. He could obviously be talked into anything. And right back out of it as well. And it could speak to him being a realist throwing out a bunch of ideas and seeing which ones stuck. Except they mostly weren't his ideas.

We know the man was a narcissist. And even that I don't have a problem with. Lots of Presidents have been narcissists. But he was an empty headed spoiled brat, who evidently did not have the sense god gave a toothbrush. He tried to sneak a whore into the White House. And didn't use the tunnels that were constructed for that very purpose. Who in their right mind would give J Edgar Hoover something to hold over you? He created EXCOMM because he couldn't be bothered with actually dealing with the Cuban Missile Crisis before the news broke. He was out campaigning.

He wanted to be popular, his daddy wanted him to be powerful. But at no point did he show any sign that he actually wanted to govern. He would have been happier as a Hollywood up and comer. I honestly think he was just bright enough to realize that proposing legislation won elections, and passing legislation lost elections. And that's assuming Papa Joe, Bobby, or Teddy wasn't the brains behind literally every breath he took. Which is a tough assumption. After all, he couldn't even choose his own wife without a committee.
                  The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Yeah ... we are going to have to agree to disagree as what you are saying about JFK is not based on anything I have written, or am arguing, or have cited from the historical record ... so best we leave it that.

Comment

Once heard a great explanation as to why there are so many conspiracy theories regarding JFK. If you put on a scale the Holocaust you get an equal balance, biggest crime against humanity, biggest criminals. But if you put the JFK assassination on a scale you don't have a balance. You have President Kennedy and some no name loser Lee Harvey Oswald. So what makes the scale balance out evenly for Oswald? A conspiracy
                      Jordan
                      Last edited by ChainzCooper; 06-18-2012, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X