Harry Harris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harry Harris

I suspect this is already known, but this seems to be Harry Harris's entry in the 1901 census. Certainly it fits the description given in the Evening News of 9 October 1888 ("Mr. Henry Harris, furniture dealer, of Castle street, Whitechapel" - http://www.casebook.org/press_report.../18881009.html)

199 / 34 [New Castle Street]
    4 [rooms inhabited]
    Henry Harris / Head / M / 58 / Furniture dealer / Own a/c [At home] / [b. London]
    Rebecca " / Wife / " / 56 / [b. London]
    Sarah " / Niece / S / 25 / Machinist [added: Shirt] / Worker / [b.] London
    Jane Moleman / Boarder / Wid / 57 / Independant [added: Means] / [b.] [?]Holland
    Fanny [?]Seelig / Boarder / S / 17 / Tailoress / Worker / [b.] London
    [RG 13/305, f. 45; pp. 39, 40]

I couldn't find him by searching by name in the 1891 census, but if anyone is able to look at the same address there must be a good chance he will be there.

Hi Chris

For what it's worth, are you aware of the much published photograph of Commercial Street, the one with dozens of horse and carts, the one which shows the Britannia PH in the background? I had a copy of this photo somewhere, but can't seem to find it. I'm sure one of the carts is painte with the words Harry Harris furniture dealer.

all the best

Observer

Comment

Originally posted by Observer View Post
      For what it's worth, are you aware of the much published photograph of Commercial Street, the one with dozens of horse and carts, the one which shows the Britannia PH in the background? I had a copy of this photo somewhere, but can't seem to find it. I'm sure one of the carts is painte with the words Harry Harris furniture dealer.
      Interesting.

Are you thinking of the one that's reproduced in the "A to Z"? I've just been squinting at it, but I can't make out any inscriptions on the carts. Maybe more could be read on a higher-resolution reproduction of the photo, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
        I couldn't find him by searching by name in the 1891 census, but if anyone is able to look at the same address there must be a good chance he will be there.
        He seems to be Chris,

HARRIS, Joseph Head Widower M 75 1816 Furniture Dealer
        London
        HARRIS, Sarah Wife Single F 28 1863
        London
        HARRIS, Henry Son Single M 48 1843 Furniture Dealer
        London
        HARRIS, Hubba Daughter In Law F 48 1843
        Whitechapel
        London
        MOSS, Lilly Granddaughter F 10 1881
        Spitalfields
        London
        ACKER, Lizzie Servant F 15 1876
        Canning Town
        London

34, Newcastle Street, Whitechapel, Whitechapel Church
        RG number:RG12 Piece:279 Folio:152 Page:8

Comment

I believe that's the photo Chris, Havn't got a copy of the A to Z handy. If the name doesnt appear on one of the carts then it could well be one of the shop fronts

all the best

Observer

Comment

Debra

Brilliant stuff. I think this must be the right man, though it's difficult to believe he hasn't been tracked down before. Interesting that he was indeed born in London - not just a "dittography" in the 1901 census. And his father too, though something has obviously gone a bit wrong with the transcription, as his father is accompanied by a "single" wife nearly 50 years his junior (?!).

Observer

I had another squint at the shop fronts, but couldn't see it. Though perhaps the photo could have been cropped. Maybe one for the photographic experts on the boards.

Comment

The only 'Harris' I can see in the photo is 'I & B Harris Cartage Contractors'

This is the best version I've got, Ive seen other copies which show the whole name.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Commercial Street c1905 detail.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	654409

Rob

Comment

what an image Rob- terrific!

Comment

Rob

Thanks - that is a tremendous level of detail - and the version in the "A to Z" evidently has been cropped, as that stops about a third of the way across the image you posted.

Comment

Thanks Natalie.

Chris, there is a good complete version in 'The Ripper and the Royals' hardback only.

Rob

Comment

Wow, nice picture. You could almost walk right into it.
                      "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Hi, my mistake, it seems the Harris's depicted in the photograph are I and B. and they are carters not furniture dealers. Was Harris a common name for Jews in that area? I know that the jeweller whose shop was being burgled on the night of the Houndsditch atrocity was called Harry Harris.

all the best

Observer

Observer

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                          Debra

Interesting that he was indeed born in London - not just a "dittography" in the 1901 census. And his father too, though something has obviously gone a bit wrong with the transcription, as his father is accompanied by a "single" wife nearly 50 years his junior (?!).
                          The single "wife" Sarah was actually "daur" when I checked the original this morning.
                          Sarah and both Henrys were all born in London City.

Comment

Originally posted by Observer View Post
                            Hi, my mistake, it seems the Harris's depicted in the photograph are I and B. and they are carters not furniture dealers. Was Harris a common name for Jews in that area? I know that the jeweller whose shop was being burgled on the night of the Houndsditch atrocity was called Harry Harris.

all the best

Observer

Observer
                            Hi Observer
                            Just taking the name Henry/Harry Harris alone in the 1891 census throws up
                            22 in Whitechapel, 9 in London City including the Jeweller you mentioned at 116 Houndsditch? and 2 in St George in the East. (Not all adults)

At 51 Great Alie Street, I think the address on the signage on the photograph (nice close up Rob btw, thanks for posting it) was living a David Harris, no occupation given even though he is head of the household.

Comment

Hi Debra

Thanks for that, quite a few Harry Harris's then.

all the best

Observer

Comment

Working...
                              X