The handbills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The handbills

I am reading Paul Begg's "Jack The Ripper: The Facts" at the moment. In this I found the text of the eighty thousand handbills which were distributed to the Whitechapel people:

Police Notice. - To the occupier. - On the mornings of Friday, 31st August, Saturday, 8th, and Sunday, 30th Sept., 1888, women were murdered in Whitechapel, it is supposed by someone residing in the immediate neighbourhood. Should you know of any person to whom suspicion is attached, you are earnestly requested to communicate at once with the nearest police-station. - Metropolitan Police Office, 30th Sept., 1888
    I wonder why the murder of Martha Tabram is not mentioned. I always thought police then thought she was a Ripper victim too.

Best regards,
    Frank

Perhaps not officially?
    Thanks for bringing up the point.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
      I am reading Paul Begg's "Jack The Ripper: The Facts" at the moment. In this I found the text of the eighty thousand handbills which were distributed to the Whitechapel people...I wonder why the murder of Martha Tabram is not mentioned. I always thought police then thought she was a Ripper victim too.

Best regards,
      Frank
      Hi Frank,

That I think demonstrates that the investigations had become separated early in September....there are the Whitechapel Murders, of which Martha is arguably the most violently dispatched, and they include Emma and Ada in the Spring,....and after Annie, and definitely after Dear Boss was received and the Double Event concluded, they knew someone had more bizarre and specific qualities than seen in any earlier murder....but shown clearly in the Canonical victims 1, 2 and 4.

Although many people even today suggest that Martha or even earlier victims were probably Jack the Rippers, feelings were mixed as to whether they felt she was a Canonical victim. And at least in Macnaghten and Bonds case, they felt she was not.

One odd thing to me about that specific point in time is the creation of posters reproducing both Dear Boss and Saucy Jack. Since a few senior investigators mention theories as to who wrote those.. and not in connection with a Ripper suspect, it makes me wonder at what point they felt that the letters were from an "enterprising journalist".

One would imagine it was sometime after they had printed the posters.

Best regards Frank.

Comment

Working...
      X