Abberline and Pirnie - the walking stick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Abberline43519 View Post
    I have found some details re. Pirnie, when a young Constable awarded the Kings Police Medal.
    That's a good find.

The King's Police Medal was introduced in 1909 following an armed robbery carried out, by two anarchists, in Tottenham. The modern QPM is awarded more for perceived managerial excellence than anything else, but the KPM seems to have been awarded for acts of bravery. Might it have been the award of the medal which made a favourable impression on Abberline? When did he get it and for what?
    Last edited by Bridewell; 06-21-2014, 01:55 PM.
    I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

In the 1911 census 3 year old Hugh Pirnie is living with his parents at 28, Upper Bugle Street, Southampton. Parents are Charles (a Ship Plate Rivetter) and Helen.

Comment

Welcome to Casebook, Abberline43519, by the way!

Is there any significance to the number?

Comment

Hi all,

Originally posted by Abberline43519 View Post
          I have found some details re. Pirnie, when a young Constable awarded the Kings Police Medal.
          Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
          That's a good find.
          This "find" is already in the latest edition of the A-Z.

Is there anything more that you've discovered?

JM

Comment

Here is a photo of him and a citation for his KPM.

43519 is Abberline's warrant number.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
              Hi all,

This "find" is already in the latest edition of the A-Z.

Is there anything more that you've discovered?

JM
              So not really a 'find' at all then!

Comment

I have a question perhaps someone can answer?

In the A-Z it states that the description on the case within which the stick is displayed was changed in 2006.

Has anybody the details of both the original inscription and rewritten inscription available please? From what I understand, the original inscription is in the A-Z? Or perhaps it is the new one?

Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you ☺

Phil
                Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                Accountability? ....

Comment

There is an interesting discussion on the walking stick here on Casebook, Phil, in a 2004 thread 'Abberline's Walking Stick'.

The original inscription actually on the walking stick was 'Presented to Inspector Abberline as a mark of esteem by 7 officers engaged with him in the Whitechapel murders of 1888.'

So now we know the murderers!

I have the 1992 edition of the 'A-Z' and Abberline's walking stick display isn't even discussed in that. I own the 2010 hardback edition of 'A-Z' and the case inscription is in that one, as you've described.

The case's inscription reads as follows

The Whitechapel Murders
                  The Whitechapel Murders in 1888, commonly known as the 'Jack the Ripper' murders, took place in London between August 31st and November 9th.
                  The officer in charge of the investigation was Inspector (later Chief Inspector) Abberline and this stick appears to have been presented to him by his team of seven detectives at the conclusion of the Enquiry.
                  Whilst the murderer was never identified, it is known that Inspector Abberline favoured the theory that the Ripper was a Dr Alexander Pedachenko or Ostrog, an alleged Russian anarchist living in the London area at the time, and the head of the stick may well be based on his features.
                  The stick was found amongst the possessions of ex Chief Inspector Hugh Pirnie (Dorset and Bournemouth) by his son, Commander Ian Pirnie, RN, and presented by him to the college.
                  Chief Inspector Pirnie served on the directing staff from March 1950 to December 1953.

The above is from the 2010 edition of 'A-Z. Whether it's been changed since, I don't know.
                  Last edited by Rosella; 10-05-2015, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Hello all,

Thanks for the replies and the help

It is a very strange thing you know. This cane..or walking stick. .call it what you will...but I cannot find any reference, ever, to Abberline ever having had one on any newspaper report from the time he was active. Nothing.

The earliest mention of Abberline and the walking stick comes from 1974.

Can anyone find any mention earlier than that?

Many thanks

Phil
                    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                    Accountability? ....

Comment

Working...
                    X