Bucks Row Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
    Steve, are you including the fact that England were playing a test match against the Aussies at the time in your Buck's Row analysis?
    Nope.
    Don't see WG as the killer.

Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
      Nope.
      Don't see WG as the killer.

Steve
      You've done it now Steve! Jack The Ripper: Whitechapel Wickets.

I can imagine someone starting their research as we speak. Maybe it was W.G. and Druitt working in tandem (cricket connection there).
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
        You've done it now Steve! Jack The Ripper: Whitechapel Wickets.

I can imagine someone starting their research as we speak. Maybe it was W.G. and Druitt working in tandem (cricket connection there).
        Given that England won the test 30th-31st August surely the killer would be Australian, the squad had 3 Jack's and 2 John's . the test was however played in Manchester

and they were playing in the North of England when Chapman was killed, and while they lost heavily on the 8th , we can discount any cricket connection, unless its Monty of course.

Steve
        Last edited by Elamarna; 09-02-2017, 04:48 AM.

Comment

Given that England won the test 30th-31st August surely the killer would be Australian, the squad had 3 Jack's and 2 John's . the test was however played in Manchester

and they were playing in the North of England when Chapman was killed, and while they lost heavily on the 8th , we can discount any cricket connection, unless its Monty of course.
          I'm not sure about that....
          Given that England posted a pretty modest total in the first innings, the murder occurs overnight, then miraculously they skittled the Australians out twice on the second day, I suspect some sort of black - or possibly white - magic....was d'Onston a cricket fan?

Comment

Steve
            For the north of England game was anyone dropped? Maybe a disgruntled reject?
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Has anyone been to Durwood Street recently? Over the last couple of years I've gone there (most recently earlier this year), there was building work ongoing and you couldn't walk down the road. I'm planning another visit in a few weeks, has the building work finished yet and if so is it recognisable or has it been completely modernised like Mitre Square for example?

Comment

• Unfortunately the building work is still going on. I'm unsure what the spot will look like when it's finished as I don't know if the work affects it.
                Mitre Square is looking less and less like Mitre Square (I was there around 3 weeks ago.) As you probably know there is a grassy area (I nearly said 'knoll!') and the bench is gone. There's no actual corner now as it's completely open.
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Unfortunately the building work is still going on. I'm unsure what the spot will look like when it's finished as I don't know if the work affects it.
                  Mitre Square is looking less and less like Mitre Square (I was there around 3 weeks ago.) As you probably know there is a grassy area (I nearly said 'knoll!') and the bench is gone. There's no actual corner now as it's completely open.

Thanks Herlock

Comment

Unfortunately the building work is still going on. I'm unsure what the spot will look like when it's finished as I don't know if the work affects it.

Hi Herlock

The grass is no more in Mitre square, just bare earth. More works going on.

Bucks Row is still cut in half, I gather from the notices on the hoarding when finished it will include an open square (I assume to the West of the School, so resurrecting the old Great Eastern Square).

That was situation on Saturday.

Steve

Comment

Hi Herlock

Bucks Row is still cut in half, I gather from the notices on the hoarding when finished it will include an open square (I assume to the West of the School, so resurrecting the old Great Eastern Square).

Steve
                      It would appear then, that they'll be nothing to see anymore on Durwood Street anyway, even when the work is completed and the road fully open again.

I believe I'm right in thinking that none of the crimes scenes remain. That being said, there are still several streets that haven't changed much and you can get a sense of what the whole district once looked like.

And there's always the Ten Bells

Comment

• Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
                        It would appear then, that they'll be nothing to see anymore on Durwood Street anyway, even when the work is completed and the road fully open again.

I believe I'm right in thinking that none of the crimes scenes remain. That being said, there are still several streets that haven't changed much and you can get a sense of what the whole district once looked like.

Honestly can't tell what will be left until the hoarding comes down.
                        The school is still there, and the view from approx site of Essex wharf towards Bakers Row should still be much the same.

Steve

Comment

Hi Herlock

Steve
                          Hi Steve,

Its all going. Or should I say...gone!
                          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post

Gunthorpe Street is still worth a look. The White Hart is a nice little pub
                            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Hi Steve,

Its all going. Or should I say...gone!
                              Just about so Mike.

The Stride site although changed to a school is still worth a look for atmosphere.

Best to have an old map to hand for all the sites to really understand the changes.

Steve

Comment

• Actual murder sites aside Steve there's enough of the 'old' East End still around to give a good taste of what the area used to look like.

I've got a great book on Sherlock Holmes London where the author has found every single location mentioned in the Holmes stories (with the help of other researchers I think) and he gives the latitude and longtitude which you can type into GoogleStreetMaps for the location. It would be good if someone could do the same with every address connected with the case (especially the peripheral ones.)

Good idea for a book if anyone's reading this
                                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Working...
                                X