Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
    How long did this game last?
    This was over in a day Abby. Around 7 hours.
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
      This was over in a day Abby. Around 7 hours.
      how does that work for spectating and TV viewing? its a long time for one game of sport.
      "Is all that we see or seem
      but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
      quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Spectating:

Morning session (each session is two hours), watch the game intently, analyse the field-settings, the state of the pitch and the ball, appreciate the game basically.

lunch (40 minutes), grab a bite and a first pint. Talk to the guys setting next to you about the morning session. As the afternoon session begins, grab a second pint to wash down your meal.

Afternoon session, have a nap because you had so much to eat and two pints. Wake up when your team finally gets their star batsman out; 135 for three at this point.

Tea (20 minutes), get another pint and a bag of sweets. the sun is out now and you will need to find some sun-screen.

Evening session, the game is really hotting up now, the guys sitting next to you offer to get you another pint. Due to a mixup, they bring two, so that's pint number 4 and 5. By now you're sloshed, you have no idea what the score is or who is batting, but you're singing silly songs and passing on beer snakes.

Repeat for day 2 to 5.

Comment

Originally posted by Svensson View Post
          Spectating:

Morning session (each session is two hours), watch the game intently, analyse the field-settings, the state of the pitch and the ball, appreciate the game basically.

lunch (40 minutes), grab a bite and a first pint. Talk to the guys setting next to you about the morning session. As the afternoon session begins, grab a second pint to wash down your meal.

Afternoon session, have a nap because you had so much to eat and two pints. Wake up when your team finally gets their star batsman out; 135 for three at this point.

Tea (20 minutes), get another pint and a bag of sweets. the sun is out now and you will need to find some sun-screen.

Evening session, the game is really hotting up now, the guys sitting next to you offer to get you another pint. Due to a mixup, they bring two, so that's pint number 4 and 5. By now you're sloshed, you have no idea what the score is or who is batting, but you're singing silly songs and passing on beer snakes.

Repeat for day 2 to 5.
          lol. sounds like fun, if you've got the time

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Even though it's not "real" cricket, the ODI series against Australia starts today. This is serious business and should be a good series. Undercover reporters have been placed at various South London DIY stores to see if any Aussies are seen buying sandpaper.....

Comment

I was having kittens there near the end. With 2 overs left I was sure NZ had it.
              These are not clues, Fred.
              It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
              They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
              And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
              We will not.

Comment

Lucky with the four overthrows, but luck is always going to be part of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzy View Post
                  I was having kittens there near the end. With 2 overs left I was sure NZ had it.
                  Me too Ozzy. I thought that Stokes and Buttler should have gone for it 2 or 3 overs earlier but what an unbelievable finish. We had a bit of luck with the Stokes 6 then the accidental runs off his bat but we got there in the end. 40 years of watching England cricket and we’ve finally won something.
                  Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by John G View Post
                    Lucky with the four overthrows, but luck is always going to be part of the game.
                    Too true John. I’m exhausted
                    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

" I don't like cricket,
                      oh no,
                      I love it."

Absolutely brilliant, and New Zealand were great.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Me too Ozzy. I thought that Stokes and Buttler should have gone for it 2 or 3 overs earlier but what an unbelievable finish. We had a bit of luck with the Stokes 6 then the accidental runs off his bat but we got there in the end. 40 years of watching England cricket and we’ve finally won something.
                        a bit of an understatement maybe. They did win the 20/20 world cup in 2009 and I think 4 or 5 Ashes since 2005 as well as the Maize for number 1 Test ranking in 2011. They were favourites in the Champions-trophy in 2013 but didnt deliver in the final against India and it took the Windies a monster-effort in the final over to deny them in the Kolkotta 20/20 final in 2017. The last 15 years haven't been bad in English Cricket by any means. It feels more like they cracked the final one of a few nuts yesterday in what must have been the greatest ODI match ever

Comment

a bit of an understatement maybe. They did win the 20/20 world cup in 2009 and I think 4 or 5 Ashes since 2005 as well as the Maize for number 1 Test ranking in 2011. They were favourites in the Champions-trophy in 2013 but didnt deliver in the final against India and it took the Windies a monster-effort in the final over to deny them in the Kolkotta 20/20 final in 2017. The last 15 years haven't been bad in English Cricket by any means. It feels more like they cracked the final one of a few nuts yesterday in what must have been the greatest ODI match ever
                          Your right of course Svensson. England have made strides over the last few years (since Duncan Fletcher) and this was a great achievement. We just need to get some consistency of performance in the test team. Find an opening pair and sort out the ‘collapse’ problem and perhaps teach a few players to bat as the circumstances require and not keep getting out playing inappropriate shots (Moeen Ali for one) Overall, Its positive for English cricket at the moment. It’s gonna be tough replacing Anderson and Broad when they retire though.
                          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

what's the point in following a consistent team?

Comment

what's the point in following a consistent team?
                              Reduced chances of a heart attack
                              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

curious-how did cricket get its odd name?

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Working...
                                X