No announcement yet.

Bridgend suicides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since when was the national average a yardstick for the local average, MrP? Where would you suggest we drew the line? Waco?
    Your point of view is that the national average cannot be used as a yardstick for the local view. Its stated above. Qouted from you.

Something exists to use as a yardstick otherwise we wouldnt be having this conversation.

The national average was probably generous on my part. Bridgend would probably dissappear even further into the Gaussian if we used a yardstick such as number of suicides in small rural economically depressed communities where the press has stuck its nose in.

Therefore I am fully entitled to question the use of any yardstick. And Bridgend only sticks out (and even then it doesnt) by conveniently selecting something like your chosen one:
    I agree that twice as many young suicides in the town in one year as the six previous years put together constitutes something of an anomaly.
    Of course you know full well that any half competent analyst could make nonsense of that and indeed produce figures to show that Bridgend is no odder than anywhere else or that the past year in that town is nothing more than the inevitable and unavoidable higher end of the distribution of suicides per year per unit population.

As I said, come back in five years or more and then we can decide whether Bridgend is an anomaly.

Until then I suggest you direct your indignation somewhere else and shout "How dare you" at people like the reporters who are generating whats going on.

p

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Poster View Post
      Until then I suggest you direct your indignation somewhere else and shout "How dare you" at people like the reporters who are generating whats going on.
      I reserve the right to voice my indignation at provocative, ad-hominem posts on these boards, if you don't mind. You "knew" that I had an agenda, did you? You "knew" that I was being selective in order to support that agenda, hmm? Sorry to disappoint you, but you were wrong on both counts.
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

No mention of an agenda so I dont know where you are off to with that....

YOu put a point of view:

I agree that twice as many young suicides in the town in one year as the six previous years put together constitutes something of an anomaly.
        and I pointed out why it could be wrong or based on a skewed analysis.

You are entitled to your point of view and I am entitled to point out that it is the same one as propogates the ongoing problems of that town.

At least I do not resort to such outbursts as "How dare you" as if my point of view or even my right to make it was sacrosant.

This thread should not have been started, if for nothing else, as it is not a "mystery". Outside of the realms of the fevered press and the twits who swallow that stuff.......there is no "mystery" at all nor anything that cannot be found in other places around the world at other times.

p

Comment

Hi all, In our local Greenwich area, in Woolwich, we have gang culture taken over,just recently a spate of stabbings, all young black men - the latest was last week at the local college,would you believe,where gangs exhist- stupid me,I thought they went there to learn!-locals are petrified they are going to get in the middle of one of their fights and get knifed by accident, so there is an atmosphere of fear. Young people have so many opportunities that us more mature individuals did not have,yet we managed to go out and enjoy ourselves without wanting to end somebody's life. Sorry about the problem in Wales Sam,hope they find out what is going on soon.Life is precious, especially young lives.It made me wonder if there is a canny serial killer on the loose on the net, who encourages the kids to do the deed themselves,for him-would mean he could live in any country in the world,see the results of his efforts, and not get done for it!Hopefully not.The only reason I wondered this,is because I cannot think of anything spread among the young themselves that would make a varied group take their own lives.It must surely be cult related?Just a thought.

Comment

P.S.Like a David Koresh type characer. Have they looked into who has moved into the town over the last year or so? But as I said before, he could live anywhere in the world really,if one kid caught onto him and spread the word around.

Comment

You are entitled to your point of view and I am entitled to point out that it is the same one as propogates the ongoing problems of that town.
              But it is NOT my point of view - I was merely indicating that the "blip" cannot be as lightly dismissed as lightly as your possibly premature conclusions suggest. Indeed, let's come back in 5 years and see what's going on - until then neither of us can say whether this is a blip or not. It might still prove to be the case, however - admission of which is no great crime compared with your out-and-out assertion that there IS no blip.
              At least I do not resort to such outbursts as "How dare you" as if my point of view or even my right to make it was sacrosant.
              I did not do so on the basis that I thought my POV was sacrosanct. I reacted because of the manner of your post, in which you had the temerity to insinuate that I was forcing an agenda (or "point of view" - same difference) and distorting the truth to fit it. That was untrue and unfair.
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

And herein lies your problem:

I reacted because of the manner of your post, in which you had the temerity to insinuate that I was forcing an agenda (or "point of view" - same difference) and distorting the truth to fit it. That was untrue and unfair.
                You have to prove I insinuated anything. Which you cannot because I didnt.

I hardly have a reputation for hinting at something rather than saying it out.

You can of course do some straining to try and prove I insinuated anything but success will not be forthcoming.

Instead, what is more correct is: you reacted half cocked and launched into your barrage on the basis of something you supposed to be insinuated.

p

Comment

you reacted half cocked and launched into your barrage on the basis of something you supposed to be insinuated.
                  That's utter nonsense, and you know it, MrP. You came right out and said that I was being selective in order to push "my" point of view.

I'll leave others decide, as it's all there for them to see. I'm off this thread.
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Waco this, Waco that!

God! Americans are so up themselved!

Jonestown. THAT'S the reality of suicide capitals.

Comment

Oh dear, looks like we had a slight dissagreement going on! Personally,I would be inclined to say that as much as Mr Poster puts in some good stuff on the site that is JTR related,with this,I go with Sam. Basically because he's Welsh.....clue?has family living in Bridgend,and is familiar with the town.Welsh people are known for their closeness within their families,another reason why these suicides don't seem natural.But I may be wrong. As for suicides in Ireland, probably due to the fact that they have the mental challenge of having to pick three numbers on a weekly basis!..... JUST JOKING MR.P!!!!!!!!!

Comment

As odd as it seems, suicides often happen in groups.
                        I lived in a small country town a few years back and within the space of 6 months, 7 men ranging from teens to grandfathers killed themselves.
                        The last decapitated himself by chaining himself to a tree, another chain around his neck hooked up to his tractor which was rigged up to drive off...you can imagine the results.
                        Although all knew (or knew of) each other, tractor man son was also one of the suicides, there was no actual link between the deaths anyone could validate.
                        Shortly after the wife of one of the town's doctors killed herself.
                        No matter the reasons, or the ages, it's still a devestating tragedy.

Comment

Hi Lord Lucan, that's a very sad list you have there. Perhaps if people actually and genuinely cared about each other in their local community it would help.We had a programme on recently where a chap had lived in his house for over fifty years and knew nobody on his street.Which is sad, and darn right disgraceful,especially for the elderly.You can't just go and knock on a door to offer to get shopping etc nowadays, because they think you want to steal something from them.Community spirit no longer exists,sadly.

Comment

I have been wondering about these suicides and the fact that most of them were death by hanging. We know that many, if not all, of the young people concerned contributed to social networking websites and these are often a vehicle for young people with similar interests and outlooks to express their likes, dislikes, feelings etc.

What crossed my mind was the release of the film Control, about the musician Ian Curtis who was lead singer of the group Joy Division, and who hung himself in 1980. The film has been released on DVD recently (but was available on pirate disks months and months ago). Curtis seems to have become something of a cultish icon, mainly due to his autobiographical song 'Love will tear us apart' which hit the charts just prior to his death. Curtis was apparently struck by the 'romance' of a young tragic death and this comes through clearly in the film. Is this perhaps a link? Just a long shot.

Comment

In many ways this is a social networking site, which focuses on the brutal death of women and other mysterious tragic deaths and dissapearances.

We better shut it down in case we give the kids ideas.

Comment

I would say this is more of a cyber community with a common interest.

Comment

Working...
                                X