Two London Murder Mysteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two London Murder Mysteries

For anyone who still has their summer hols ahead and wants to pass the time with stories of two intriguing true crime murder mysteries: both of my books, The Islington Murder Mystery and The Camden Town Murder Mystery, are now available on Kindle on Amazon.

Genuine reader reviews on Amazon for the Islington Murder Mystery say:

"Thoroughly enjoyable and convincing examination of a fascinating century-old murder case. Well-written and very impressively researched."

"A very interesting look at a cold case - super use of archival research. Impressively pulls diverse threads together and opens up interesting lines worthy of a follow-up."

"An excellent well researched book of a little known unsolved murder mystery."

"A very interesting read , especially as I live in the borough of Islington myself , so knew of the streets that were mentioned....Yes , very good indeed..."

"excellent, the only genuine researched book on this case, this author is first class and researches from original source material, highly recommended"

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Islington-M...Murder+Mystery

And for The Camden Town Murder Mystery:

"really good and interesting,well written etc... I would like to read it on kindle."

"Superb book, the author has painstakingly researched every detail from original archive sources and delivered the first & only complete account of the murder and every suspect in the case, he has traced all family members, their histories, relationships and left no stone unturned. Outstanding investigation."

"A thorough and comprehensive record of one of the twentieth century's greatest murder-mysteries. Much more info than other books on the subject. Well written. Recommended."

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...Murder+Mystery

Please note that the Kindle versions of these books do not contain any illustrations and photographs which can be found in the print versions. For those you will need to buy the full priced hard copies of the book!

Thanks David. I've been meaning to acquire those two books for a long time-as I'm sure they'll be very well written, and exceptionally well researched reads. I really must take the plunge!

Comment

Originally posted by John G View Post
      Thanks David. I've been meaning to acquire those two books for a long time-as I'm sure they'll be very well written, and exceptionally well researched reads. I really must take the plunge!

Definitely time to plunge!

Comment

Hello David

I've just finished The Camden Town Murder Mystery.

Talk about picking the carcass clean!

I have to say that it was one of the most thorough and clearly reasoned analyses of a true crime that I've ever read. Very enjoyable too. Unfortunately I think that you've pretty much ruined it for anyone who wants to write on the crime in the future. It's only a pity that we can't pull a suspect to the fore. Maybe one day a diary will appear........no, let's not go there,

For what my recommendation might or might not be worth I'd recommend this book to anyone. I look forward to reading your 'Islington Murder' book ( a crime I know even less about than I did of the Camden Murder.)

Are you working on another book?

And I still think that you should have a crack at the 'Julia Wallace,' case.

Regards
        Herlock
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Thank you very much Herlock.

I was very lucky with the Islington murder because, despite being a really major crime of its day, and a very interesting story, it had been completely forgotten about for almost one hundred years (or so it appeared) and no-one had written a single word about it in any True Crime book. So I had the field to myself.

Amazingly, it wasn't entirely forgotten about, because, shortly after publication, I was contacted by one of the descendants of the murdered woman's husband who told me, with a sense of frustration, that she was planning to write her own book about the crime and I had beaten her to it!

Incidentally, if you or anyone is planning to buy the print edition, I advise doing so direct from Amazon - rather than from one of the other vendors on Amazon - because they will have the latest version (which is print on demand). It's not much changed from the original (and not enough to call it a second edition) so if you've bought it already it's fine.

The Julia Wallace crime has its fascination of course - and rather perplexing with all that Qualtrough and Menlove Gardens East business - but I truly don't think I would be able to add anything to that particular story.

I am in the final stages of a third book, but, although very tangentially connected with the Islington Murder Mystery, it's not a true crime book; it's about 80s pop music!

Comment

Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
            Thank you very much Herlock.

I was very lucky with the Islington murder because, despite being a really major crime of its day, and a very interesting story, it had been completely forgotten about for almost one hundred years (or so it appeared) and no-one had written a single word about it in any True Crime book. So I had the field to myself.

Amazingly, it wasn't entirely forgotten about, because, shortly after publication, I was contacted by one of the descendants of the murdered woman's husband who told me, with a sense of frustration, that she was planning to write her own book about the crime and I had beaten her to it!

Incidentally, if you or anyone is planning to buy the print edition, I advise doing so direct from Amazon - rather than from one of the other vendors on Amazon - because they will have the latest version (which is print on demand). It's not much changed from the original (and not enough to call it a second edition) so if you've bought it already it's fine.

The Julia Wallace crime has its fascination of course - and rather perplexing with all that Qualtrough and Menlove Gardens East business - but I truly don't think I would be able to add anything to that particular story.

I am in the final stages of a third book, but, although very tangentially connected with the Islington Murder Mystery, it's not a true crime book; it's about 80s pop music!
            I can imagine the descendants frustration!

Thanks for the advice about Amazon. I don't have the book yet and I have a pile of around 8 books still to read (and I keep buying, especially Sherlock Holmes/Doyle related ones). Yours will jump the queue though. I also have 'Deconstructing Jack,' on order but after reading your posts I find my enthusiasm waning a little. It sounds like the kind of book that you would need to do a lot of meticulous research (like yourself) to form an opinion on? I'm not a researcher and have no research tools.
            Although I don't know you David, 80's pop music would have been one of my last guesses at the topic of your next book! You never know...

I could do with you on the Lechmere thread arguing against but I don't think that Christer would be so keen!

Regards
            Herlock
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

One word would describe 80's pop music to my mind, with the exception of Joy Division perhaps, and they only just crept into the 80's!

Comment

I did like Japan.

David Sylvian stuff too.

I'm more of a prog rock man though myself

Regards
                Herlock
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                  I also have 'Deconstructing Jack,' on order but after reading your posts I find my enthusiasm waning a little. It sounds like the kind of book that you would need to do a lot of meticulous research (like yourself) to form an opinion on? I'm not a researcher and have no research tools.
                  I wouldn't want to discourage you from purchasing Simon's book, especially with that generous commission which he gives me from each sale

The good news is that I've already done the research to counter the main points in his book in these articles on my website:

Reconstructing Jack

A critical look at Simon Wood’s book, ‘Deconstructing Jack’ and his thesis that Jack the Ripper did not exist:

The Suckered! Trilogy

Three articles (England Sends Her Spies, The Third Man and The Thomas Barton Affair) dealing with the issue of what Scotland Yard detectives were doing in North America during the latter part of 1888. The link here takes you to a gateway to all three articles:

The Suckered! Plus Quadrilogy

A point by point response to Wolf Vanderlinden’s reply to the Suckered! Trilogy and, in the process, a dismantling of the main conspiracy theories relating to Scotland Yard and the Parnell Commission Inquiry. The link here takes you to a gateway to all four articles:

See also my response to Bruce Robinson's book which covers much of the same ground:

They All Love Bruce

A critical look at Bruce Robinson’s book ‘They All Love Jack’:

And, for additional reading, see also

Some Thoughts

A compilation of short articles including “The Curious Case of the Fake Pensioner”, and “The Missing Hour, Found!” which both relate to Simon's book.

Anderson and The World

An article about the links between Robert Anderson and Edmund Yates, editor of the World, which resulted in various pro-Anderson stories being published in the World:

Fred Jarvis and the Secret Cypher

An examination of a fascinating and hitherto unknown secret service cypher found in files at the National Archives :

And finally:

The Mysterious Dr Gabe

Why was Dr Gabe present at Miller’s Court on 9 November 1888 as claimed by Simon Wood? This article considers the question:

Accompanied by 'The Gynaecologist Society':

You will appreciate the articles far more if you've read Simon's book first so I'm always very happy to encourage people to do it (aside from the money he pays me).

Comment

Does Simon really pay you for every book he sells?!? If so why?
                    "Is all that we see or seem
                    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                      Does Simon really pay you for every book he sells?!? If so why?
                      hehe! No, Abby, I was only joking.

He actually pays me an annual retainer.

Comment

I wouldn't want to discourage you from purchasing Simon's book, especially with that generous commission which he gives me from each sale

The good news is that I've already done the research to counter the main points in his book in these articles on my website:

Reconstructing Jack

A critical look at Simon Wood’s book, ‘Deconstructing Jack’ and his thesis that Jack the Ripper did not exist:

The Suckered! Trilogy

Three articles (England Sends Her Spies, The Third Man and The Thomas Barton Affair) dealing with the issue of what Scotland Yard detectives were doing in North America during the latter part of 1888. The link here takes you to a gateway to all three articles:

The Suckered! Plus Quadrilogy

A point by point response to Wolf Vanderlinden’s reply to the Suckered! Trilogy and, in the process, a dismantling of the main conspiracy theories relating to Scotland Yard and the Parnell Commission Inquiry. The link here takes you to a gateway to all four articles:

See also my response to Bruce Robinson's book which covers much of the same ground:

They All Love Bruce

A critical look at Bruce Robinson’s book ‘They All Love Jack’:

And, for additional reading, see also

Some Thoughts

A compilation of short articles including “The Curious Case of the Fake Pensioner”, and “The Missing Hour, Found!” which both relate to Simon's book.

Anderson and The World

An article about the links between Robert Anderson and Edmund Yates, editor of the World, which resulted in various pro-Anderson stories being published in the World:

Fred Jarvis and the Secret Cypher

An examination of a fascinating and hitherto unknown secret service cypher found in files at the National Archives :

And finally:

The Mysterious Dr Gabe

Why was Dr Gabe present at Miller’s Court on 9 November 1888 as claimed by Simon Wood? This article considers the question:

Accompanied by 'The Gynaecologist Society':

You will appreciate the articles far more if you've read Simon's book first so I'm always very happy to encourage people to do it (aside from the money he pays me).
                        Thanks for that David. I'll read the book before your critique.

Regards
                        Herlock
                        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Just about to begin Deconstructing Jack. Sorry to be a nitpicker but my first disappointment is 660+ pages and no illustrations!! What's going on there?

Regards
                          Herlock
                          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                            Just about to begin Deconstructing Jack. Sorry to be a nitpicker but my first disappointment is 660+ pages and no illustrations!! What's going on there?
                            Well to just be clear that's Simon's book not mine! There's another thread running currently about Simon's book. He's always very happy to discuss issues arising out of his book so don't hesitate to raise it with him. My own books do have illustrations, but not in the kindle versions as I mentioned.

I would say that for copyright and permission reasons (and some technical reasons) it's not as easy as you might think to include photographs or images in books, especially when self-publishing (and Simon's book is, I think, self-published).

Comment

Well to just be clear that's Simon's book not mine! There's another thread running currently about Simon's book. He's always very happy to discuss issues arising out of his book so don't hesitate to raise it with him. My own books do have illustrations, but not in the kindle versions as I mentioned.

I would say that for copyright and permission reasons (and some technical reasons) it's not as easy as you might think to include photographs or images in books, especially when self-publishing (and Simon's book is, I think, self-published).
                              Point taken.
                              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Working...
                              X