To The Occupier.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To The Occupier.

The Police Notice distributed by the Met. following the double event begins, "On the mornings of Friday, 31st August, Saturday 8th, and Sunday 30th September, 1888, women were murdered..." [Ultimate Sourcebook].

This appears to indicate that, as early as 30th September 1888, which is the date on the notice, important people in the Met. believed the series of murders by the same person to have begun with that of Nichols. The dates for Tabram and Emma Smith are not given.

This, of course, predates the Macnaghten Memoranda by years.

Best wishes,
    Steve.

Either that, or it simply groups those murders that were within the previous month (around four weeks).

Phil

Comment

Possibly, Phil but I think my reason more likely. I wonder who was responsible for the wording of the notice. It must have been got up very quickly.

Best wishes,
      Steve.

Comment

Wouldn't it reflect Insp. Reid's opinion?, wouldn't he have to authorize it as head of the C.I.D.? He was in charge of both the Smith & Tabram investigations as well as Nichols, etc.

Regards, Jon S.
        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Given the "millions" of these notices distributed, I'm curious to know whether any are still known to exist?

Comment

It could be interesting to know if the "police notice" was only sent to police stations, or also to the public, via posted notices or newspapers.

If you could see what source the Sourcebook gives for this quotation, it might help to determine this.
            Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
            ---------------
            Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
            ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Russell View Post
              The Police Notice distributed by the Met. following the double event begins, "On the mornings of Friday, 31st August, Saturday 8th, and Sunday 30th September, 1888, women were murdered..." [Ultimate Sourcebook].

This appears to indicate that, as early as 30th September 1888, which is the date on the notice, important people in the Met. believed the series of murders by the same person to have begun with that of Nichols. The dates for Tabram and Emma Smith are not given.

Best wishes,
              Steve.
              Abberline was at Nichols Inquest on September 1 and placed in charge of the investigation pretty quickly.

About as efficient as he was in the Cleveland Street scandal when Lord Somerset and Charles Hammond got away.
              Last edited by DJA; 01-27-2018, 11:45 PM.
              My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                It could be interesting to know if the "police notice" was only sent to police stations, or also to the public, via posted notices or newspapers.

If you could see what source the Sourcebook gives for this quotation, it might help to determine this.

I believe, they were delivered out to the public by bobbies.

Comment

Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
                  I believe, they were delivered out to the public by bobbies.
                  And pinned to notice boards outside police stations.

Monty
                  Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Working...
                  X