Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Billiou View Post
    Hi,

I am a newcomer to the site. One of my main hobbies is Genealogy. In Genealogy research it is stressed that you have to go back to the primary source of an event, where possible, and you should try to have two separate sources as proof of each event.
    Consulting the primary source can prevent misinformation, such as an incorrect transcription of a document, from corrupting the search and leading you down an incorrect path.
    I have been reading the newspaper reports of the Mary Ann Nichols Inquest and various threads to do with her murder on the site. It seems to me a lot of time is taken up with matters that refer to, for example, one newspaper report, when the matter could be resolved by looking at another newspaper or consulting the threads. In other words the newspaper's reporting of the Inquest cannot be taken at face value as being exactly what was said or had occurred, and this leads to false leads and confusion.
    From what I have read in Casebook, there is no actual Inquest record ie the primary source, so we are dealing with multiple secondary sources?
    So another question I have is, has anyone ever gone through the various newspaper Inquest reports and tried to come up with one, overall, as fairly accurate as we can be, record of the Inquest ie using all the newspaper reports, and therefore clarifying the confusions?
    Cheers
    Bill
    Your best bet is to read the Sugden book.
    Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
    - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
      Sorry Pierre the Source book is great, but it isn't a Primary Source, it mau quote some, but it itself isn't ine.
      Donīt tell me what a primary source is. The book contains transcriptions of primary sources.

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
        Donīt tell me what a primary source is. The book contains transcriptions of primary sources.
        Somebody needs to tell you what a primary source is, you seem to not know.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
          Somebody needs to tell you what a primary source is, you seem to not know.
          Great GUT. I hold a Master of History as well, but do tell me what a primary source is if it makes you feel better.

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
            Great GUT. I hold a Master of History as well, but do tell me what a primary source is if it makes you feel better.
            Well I see your masters raise it with a PhD.
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Working...
            X