Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decorating Kelly´s room with Kelly

Hi everyone,

This newspaper article, produced a year after the murder in Miller´s Court, gives some descriptions for the killer having decorated the room where Kelly was murdered and mutilated.

Has anyone seen another source for these statements?

Pall Mall Gazette
    4 November 1889

THE WHITECHAPEL TRAGEDIES.
    A NIGHT SPENT WITH INSPECTOR MOORE.
    REMARKABLE STATEMENTS.

Philadelphia journalist, Mr. R. Harding Davis, has been publishing in a syndicate of American papers, an account of a night he spent upon the scene of the Whitechapel murders, towards the end of August, in the company of Police Inspector Moore, in the course of which some interesting statements occur.

"This was about the worst of the murders," said the inspector when they reached Dorset-street. "He cut the skeleton so clean of flesh that when I got here I could hardly tell whether it was a man or a woman. He hung the different parts of the body on nails and over the backs of chairs. It must have taken him an hour and a half in all. And when he was ready to go he found the door was jammed and had to make his escape through the larger of those two windows." Imagine how this man felt when he tried the door and found it was locked; that was before he thought of the window - believing that he was locked in with that bleeding skeleton and the strips of flesh that he had hung so fantastically about the room..."

http://www.casebook.org/press_report.../18891104.html

Regards, Pierre

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
    Hi everyone,

This newspaper article, produced a year after the murder in Miller´s Court, gives some descriptions for the killer having decorated the room where Kelly was murdered and mutilated.

Pall Mall Gazette
    4 November 1889

REMARKABLE STATEMENTS.

Philadelphia journalist, Mr. R. Harding Davis, has been publishing in a syndicate of American papers, an account of a night he spent upon the scene of the Whitechapel murders, towards the end of August, in the company of Police Inspector Moore, in the course of which some interesting statements occur.

"This was about the worst of the murders," said the inspector when they reached Dorset-street. "He cut the skeleton so clean of flesh that when I got here I could hardly tell whether it was a man or a woman. He hung the different parts of the body on nails and over the backs of chairs. It must have taken him an hour and a half in all. And when he was ready to go he found the door was jammed and had to make his escape through the larger of those two windows." Imagine how this man felt when he tried the door and found it was locked; that was before he thought of the window - believing that he was locked in with that bleeding skeleton and the strips of flesh that he had hung so fantastically about the room..."

Regards, Pierre
    I've asked this before, but I'll ask again. Why do you keep posting stuff that we have threads on here about already? Interestingly, a lot of them are threads I've started!! You also copied and pasted a map with a circle around #2, Harvey's Buildings on another thread. That map was on another forum altogether, but I know it's the one I posted. The circle matches exactly.

I asked basically this same question about three years ago here on this forum. http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=7412

Please do a search before creating 10 billion threads on the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by jerryd View Post
      I've asked this before, but I'll ask again. Why do you keep posting stuff that we have threads on here about already?
      Methinks it's seeking something in the attention department...

Comment

Originally posted by jerryd View Post
        I've asked this before, but I'll ask again. Why do you keep posting stuff that we have threads on here about already? Interestingly, a lot of them are threads I've started!! You also copied and pasted a map with a circle around #2, Harvey's Buildings on another thread. That map was on another forum altogether, but I know it's the one I posted. The circle matches exactly.

I asked basically this same question about three years ago here on this forum. http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=7412

Please do a search before creating 10 billion threads on the same thing.
        Hi,

Well, what do you think?

And if you have discussed the same types of issues, that only goes to show we are both interested in the same problems.

So have you seen any other sources for this?

Regards, Pierre
        Last edited by Pierre; 05-17-2016, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Hi,

Well, what do you think?

And if you have discussed the same types of issues, that only goes to show we are both interested in the same problems.

So have you seen any other sources for this?

Regards, Pierre
          Yes, I've seen another source for it, worded a bit differently and from the recollection of Henry Moore himself. It contradicts the report of R. Harding Davis, though. Howard Brown posted it up yesterday at jtrforums, matter of fact.

Comment

Hi everyone,

Pall Mall Gazette
            4 November 1889

REMARKABLE STATEMENTS.

Regards, Pierre
            Hi,

I have some reflections on this.

1:

The streets where the Lord Mayor passed was decorated in honour of the Lord Mayor. Decorations were heraldic shields, flags and paper flowers.

The room in Miller´s Court was decorated with pieces from the mutilated victim. Parts of the body were hung on nails and over the backs of chairs and placed on a table.

Lord Mayor´s Show was a procession of horses and coaches.

The transportation of the remains of the victim was a procession with horse and carriage.

At the annual dinner after Lord Mayor´s Show the Lord Mayor sat beside his sideboard and a large u-shaped table was beside it.

In Miller´s Court there was a sideboard where pieces of flesh was placed and a bed beside it.

(Pall Mall Gazette - Saturday 10 November 1888)

This murder was very different from the others and these three observations can be connected to the reason for the difference.

Regards, Pierre
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

1:

The streets where the Lord Mayor passed was decorated in honour of the Lord Mayor. Decorations were heraldic shields, flags and paper flowers.

The room in Miller´s Court was decorated with pieces from the mutilated victim. Parts of the body were hung on nails and over the backs of chairs and placed on a table.

The transportation of the remains of the victim was a procession with horse and carriage.

At the annual dinner after Lord Mayor´s Show the Lord Mayor sat beside his sideboard and a large u-shaped table was beside it.

In Miller´s Court there was a sideboard where pieces of flesh was placed and a bed beside it.

This murder was very different from the others and these three observations can be connected to the reason for the difference.

Regards, Pierre
              But her room wasn't decorated with her entrails. they were all on the table and the bed. How do you account for that?

Columbo

Comment

Originally posted by Columbo View Post
                But her room wasn't decorated with her entrails. they were all on the table and the bed. How do you account for that?

Columbo
                Hi Columbo,

It is the Pall Mall Gazette! So you can discard it if you think newspapers are no reliable sources!

But they are referring to Police Inspector Moore.

Pall Mall Gazette
                4 November 1889

REMARKABLE STATEMENTS.

"This was about the worst of the murders," said the inspector when they reached Dorset-street. "He cut the skeleton so clean of flesh that when I got here I could hardly tell whether it was a man or a woman. He hung the different parts of the body on nails and over the backs of chairs. It must have taken him an hour and a half in all. And when he was ready to go he found the door was jammed and had to make his escape through the larger of those two windows." Imagine how this man felt when he tried the door and found it was locked; that was before he thought of the window - believing that he was locked in with that bleeding skeleton and the strips of flesh that he had hung so fantastically about the room..." (My bold).

And I wrote pieces and parts - not entrails.

Regards, Pierre

Comment

Hi,

1:

Regards, Pierre
                  Hi,
                  Indeed this murder was very different.
                  That is why my ludicrous theory will reveal not only that MJK was not murdered, but also JTR wasn't involved .

I'm betting my theory will be more outrageous than yours when revealed.

Regards

Comment

1:

Pierre,

The exact deposition of body parts has been and is still as far as i am aware open to some debate.

However even if the American syndicated report were 100% accurate, It would be hard to say the room was decorated, and certainly not in anyway that parodied the Lord Mayors Show, which I assume is the idea you have or something similar.

2. Lord Mayor´s Show was a procession of horses and coaches.

To attempt to compare a ceremonial procession with multiple coaches and horses and bands, with the sad removal from miller court is scarcely realistic.

Pray tell us how one draws any parallel between a u -shaped table and a bed.?

Unless you are turning "jack" into a social reformer, this post is one of the, pointing out the differences between the have and have-nots, it is hard to see what point you are trying to make.

Given you will not say, I will not even venture to guess.

Steve

Comment

If that's the hypothesis, Pierre, then you have Jack the Ripper knowing the particulars of the Lord Mayor's dining proceedings so that he could mock them earlier in the day

If I remember that article correctly, there was mention that there had been other inspector-led "Ripper tours". Hadn't the Austin police chief just visited and apologized for his arrogance? I remember an article that I found on BNA of a reporter also being led by a policeman, encountering a young girl at the Stride site. Point being, how much had become a "tour" elaboration by that point? If, however, there was a second similar claim...
                      there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Comment

[QUOTE=Robert St Devil;398885]

If that's the hypothesis, Pierre, then you have Jack the Ripper knowing the particulars of the Lord Mayor's dining proceedings so that he could mock them earlier in the day
                        Yes, indeed.

Comment

Frankly Pierre you may as well just let the cat out of the bag now, because the hints and sneak-peaks are so hilarious that we already know the theory is far-fetched garbage. Where does your Mary Queen of Scots portrait pose fit in with the Lord Mayor's nosh-up? And I wanted to ask, do you have any sources explaining the existence of the sources that illuminate the motive?

Please just give us the name. Withholding the punchline to this joke is not fair!

Historian my ass!

Comment

Originally posted by Henry Flower View Post

Frankly Pierre you may as well just let the cat out of the bag now, because the hints and sneak-peaks are so hilarious that we already know the theory is far-fetched garbage. Where does your Mary Queen of Scots portrait pose fit in with the Lord Mayor's nosh-up?

Please just give us the name. Withholding the punchline to this joke is not fair!

Historian my ass!
                            The cat is on holiday.

And I wanted to ask, do you have any sources explaining the existence of the sources that illuminate the motive?
                            Yes.

Comment

The cat is on holiday.

Yes.
                              Magnificent! But do you have any independent sources validating the contents of the sources that explain the existence of the sources illuminating the motive?

This stale old joke has dragged on too long.

Comment

Working...
                              X