No announcement yet.

Fairy Fay and the pub in Mitre Square

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ooh Shells, I love a Blue Cockatoo. Don't mind Private Willis occasionally either. One of my nieces actually knows a Harry Loins. Dirty girl!

Love,

Caz
    X
    "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post
      Ooh Shells, I love a Blue Cockatoo. Don't mind Private Willis occasionally either. One of my nieces actually knows a Harry Loins. Dirty girl!

Love,

Caz
      X
      Is this Loins a friend of Parts? It would be blue if the %^£"!(* didn't find his company!

Luv
      Shelley

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
        Fairy Fay was an invention of journalist Terence Robertson in an article entitled "Madman who Murdered Nine Women" that appeared in Reynolds News on October 29, 1950. The statement about the pub in Mitre Square shows how well he "researched" the piece. His description of the finding of her body appears to draw upon descriptions of the finding of other bodies during the Whitechapel murders. I covered the career of Mr Robertson and the creation of this phantom victim in "The Strange Career of Terence Robertson and the Origin of 'Fairy Fay'", Ripperologist 73, November 2006. The article can be accessed in pdf form from Adam Wood's site here.

Chris
        The link above doesn't seem to be working anymore?

Could anyone tell me anything about Robertson's life? What he did in the Navy, or what he did after the war or even why he went to South Africa and then Canada?

Thanks

Comment

Over on Forums, Trevor Bond has found a potential Fairy Fay in the also alliteratively named of Susannah Scanes. She was admitted to hospital on 1887 DE 26 with a lacerated scalp and died of her injuries the same day.
          This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by Shelley View Post
            Mr Stewart Evans,
            Could i please have a rendition of the song with the ' Fairy Fay ' bit in it?
            P.S.
            ' I am not, repeat, not asking for serenading '
            Here is a rendition of the song with 'Fairy Fay' bit in it, really it is called Polly Wolly Doodle (all the day).

Music from my porch... I was having a glass of wine on the patio and these people showed up..

"Polly Wolly Doodle" is a song first published in a Harvard student songbook in 1880.

"An unknown female claimed by two authors as having been a Ripper victim in the alleys of Commercial Road on Boxing Night, 1887. The first author to claim she was a Whitechapel murder victim was journalist and historian Terence Robertson (1921–1970), who wrote in the October 29, 1950 edition of Reynolds News that "Fairy Fay" was the name given to a woman who was killed while taking a short cut home from a Mitre Square pub (although there was no such pub in Mitre Square)."

p.s. I do hope that after you listen to this song our countries remain allies

Comment

Working...
            X