Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Mystery of Stephenson's Other Mother!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mystery of Stephenson's Other Mother!

Now that I have your attention, perhaps you can help shed light on this little mystery.

Here goes,

1833 December 24th William Henry Stephenson Born to Richard and Isabella Stephenson.

1836 Feb 13th William Dawber Stephenson born.

1836 William Dawber Stephenson Christened. William is the Son of Richard and Isabella Stephenson, of Silvester Street. Richard Stephenson is a Merchant, and the service is performed by Edward Ward.

1841 June 6th Census lists, HO107/1232 F583 P30
    Charles Street, Sculcoates,
    Richard Stephenson 34, Head, Merchant
    Isabella Stephenson 30, Wife
    Elizabeth Stephenson 8 Daughter
    William Stephenson 5 Son
    Isabella Dauber Stephenson 3 Daughter
    Richard Stephenson 1 Son
    Robert D Stephenson 1 month Son

I am assuming that William Henry Stephenson passed away before William Dawber Stephenson was born, but cannot find any records of his death anywhere. If anyone can help with this, I will buy you a Hull made Pattie!

The information was obtained from,
    Ancestry,
    Yorkshire BMD,
    Parish Records,
    Christening transcripts,
    Last edited by Mike Covell; 05-03-2009, 04:29 PM.
    Regards Mike

Hope I don't confuse people with the thread title, it should read "The Mystery of Stephenson's Other Brother," but Mother was typed in error!
    Regards Mike

Comment

Mike, William Henry was baptised January 1834. If you can't find him in the censuses, it may be he died sometime in 1834/early 1835.

Comment

Thanks Robert, I had it here,

1834 December 15th William Henry Stephenson is Christened. William is the Son of Richard and Isabella Stephenson, of Silvester Street. Richard Stephenson is a Merchant and the service is performed by Edward Ward at St Mary’s Church, Sculcoates.

but in a rush to post it left it on my clipboard. I was fortunate enough to read through the official christening files at East Riding Archives last year, where I got copies of both the Stephenson children and Dawber children, then last week I managed to pour over the typed up versions in a book on St Mary's Church from the local history centre.

I wouldn't suprise me if he passed away at a young age, the death rates with the female side of the Dawber family were quite shocking, with very few getting to 11 years old!
        Regards Mike

Comment

My great grandfather had two brothers with the same name who both dies before he was born. They seemed to keep going until they had a Benjamin who lived! I suspect its the same thing happening here.

Comment

Working...
          X