Recent 'Tour'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent 'Tour'

Took a friend for a wander around Whitechapel last week. Amazing how much it has changed in the year since my last visit.

Bucks Row spot.... just and I mean just cut off... best I could do.

Berner Street.... the yard entrance is there.

Goulston St. Juwes spot

Mitre Square...

Comment

Hanbury Street...

Comment

It's all disappearing. The Ripper tours won't even bother with Mitre Square soon.

Good pictures though. But I'd expect that from a Rush fan.

Regards

Herlock
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
          It's all disappearing. The Ripper tours won't even bother with Mitre Square soon. Herlock

I agree, Mitre Square isn't really a square at all any more, I'm curious to know whether it's in fact still called Mitre Square.

Couldn't get near Bucks Row (couldn't in 2015 either, don't know what their doing down there).

Gunthorpe Street (White Hart end), is probably all that's really left to see.

Dorset Street, Berner Street & Hanbury Street beyond recognition now.

Goulston Street is relatively still intact.

But you have to go off the beaten track somewhat to find anything that resembles what Whitechapel looked like during the period.

On a plus note the beer in the Tens Bells has greatly improved since my 2015 visit. Interesting that the Brown Bear haven't jumped on the whole Ripper Street thing, which I was surprised about. The White Hart on the other hand is maintaining it's status which is fair enough I suppose, beer not bad in their either!!

Much as I enjoy mooching around Whitechapel, I fear this might be my last visit, I think I prefer to "remember" it as it looks in period photographs.................

Comment

Thanks for the pictures. I'll be in town from the states for the East End JtR conference in August. I'll take the tour myself. Someone mentioned 'Ripper Tours'. Anyone have recommendations on which is best?

Comment

Hi Patrick.

If you can get to Tower Hill Tube ( you'll see a coffee stand where everyone gathers) on Sunday evenings at 7.30 you 'should' get Donald Rumbelow on duty.

We offer 5* rated walking tours throughout London by the finest blue badge guides. Join us for a few hours of discovery, facts and entertainment.

Some great walks here. I'll being doing a few in late September.

Enjoy.

Herlock
              Last edited by Herlock Sholmes; 06-22-2017, 10:38 AM.
              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
                I agree, Mitre Square isn't really a square at all any more, I'm curious to know whether it's in fact still called Mitre Square.

Couldn't get near Bucks Row (couldn't in 2015 either, don't know what their doing down there).

Gunthorpe Street (White Hart end), is probably all that's really left to see.

Dorset Street, Berner Street & Hanbury Street beyond recognition now.

Goulston Street is relatively still intact.

But you have to go off the beaten track somewhat to find anything that resembles what Whitechapel looked like during the period.

On a plus note the beer in the Tens Bells has greatly improved since my 2015 visit. Interesting that the Brown Bear haven't jumped on the whole Ripper Street thing, which I was surprised about. The White Hart on the other hand is maintaining it's status which is fair enough I suppose, beer not bad in their either!!

Much as I enjoy mooching around Whitechapel, I fear this might be my last visit, I think I prefer to "remember" it as it looks in period photographs.................
                Hi,

I think, although I may be miss-remembering, that the Durward Street works is something to do with Railtrack? Sadly I don't think that Mitre 'Square' will really deserve the name pretty soon. 'Mitre Gap' maybe.
                As you say, on the bright side the beer in The Ten Bells was good last year (accompanied by a glass of Laphroaig.) I'm looking forward to the same in September.

Regards

Herlock
                Last edited by Herlock Sholmes; 06-22-2017, 10:39 AM.
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                  Hi,

As you say, on the bright side the beer in The Ten Bells was good last year (accompanied by a glass of Laphroaig.) I'm looking forward to the same in September.

Regards

Herlock

Here's one I had earlier
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
                    Here's one I had earlier

Not jealous in any shape, way or form.

Herlock
                    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Great pictures.

When I'm in London I enjoy paying a visit to the Sherlock Holmes pub, lovely ales in there!

I'll be attending the conferences in Liverpool this Sept, btw, if anyone on here is local.

Comment

Working...
                      X