Dear Boss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear Boss

One thing that has always bugged me about the Dear Boss letter (that I think lends to it being from the killer) is this:

Why, if it is written by a hoaxer, and from someone from the CNA, would they have the (fake) killer ask for them to hold the letter back before sending out? And why then if the letter was a hoax by someone from the CNA, would the CNA actually not send the letter out until several days later?

It is widely beleived that the letter was a hoax from someone from the CNA to help drum up business. Why then delay (and have the fake killer also ask them to delay) in sending the letter to the police. You would think that they would send the letter to the police as fast as they possibly could.
    "Is all that we see or seem
    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

[QUOTE]
    Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
    One thing that has always bugged me about the Dear Boss letter (that I think lends to it being from the killer) is this:

Why, if it is written by a hoaxer, and from someone from the CNA, would they have the (fake) killer ask for them to hold the letter back before sending out? And why then if the letter was a hoax by someone from the CNA, would the CNA actually not send the letter out until several days later?
    If it's a hoax, then it has to be written AFTER a murder -therefore it is impossible to warn the Police or warn the public beforehand.

By writing in the letter that it should be held back, it makes it appear to have been written earlier and the killer's wishes complied with.
    http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

Hello Abby,

Take a look at my thread called "Ny views", this will clear alot of things up for you about the "Dear Boss" letter. Trust me.

I used to think the same thing until I made that thread.

Take a look and you will see what I mean.

Yours Truly.
      Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

[QUOTE=Rubyretro;145496]

If it's a hoax, then it has to be written AFTER a murder -therefore it is impossible to warn the Police or warn the public beforehand.

By writing in the letter that it should be held back, it makes it appear to have been written earlier and the killer's wishes complied with.
        Hi Ruby
        Wasn't the letter postmarked before the double evnt?
        How did the hoaxer/s know the killer would strike again so soon?

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by corey123 View Post
          Hello Abby,

Take a look at my thread called "Ny views", this will clear alot of things up for you about the "Dear Boss" letter. Trust me.

I used to think the same thing until I made that thread.

Take a look and you will see what I mean.

Yours Truly.
          Hi Corey
          Just did and unfortunately it does not clear things up for me, except that perhaps Bulling has similar handwriting.

I think I saw somewhere the actual letter that was written by someone from the CNA (that accompanied the dear boss letter) that was sent to the police.

Was this letter written by Moore?

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

To my mind, at least, the idea was precisely to create the kind of confusion to which the letter has been subject for the last 120 plus years. If the CNA had sent the letter straight onto the police then everyone - including, almost equally crucially, the press and the police - would have had a time for its composition - ie immediately before it was sent to the police.

Introducing the 'please hold it back' element muddies the waters, by suggesting it could have been received by the CNA any time previous to that, including the intriguing (and saleable ) possibility that it was written before news of the murder hit the streets.

Moore has been suggested as an alternative to Bulling previously; certainly it is very unlikely it was written, by whomever if not by Moore himself, without his knowledge.

The real crucial question you need to ask yourself about this letter is why would the killer, were it he, send it to the Central News? How would he even get hold of their address? First choice would surely be the police, second choice the press directly, why would a pretty small organisation such as the CNA come into consideration? It would be like you firing off a letter to a newspaper but sending it to Reuters instead.

Comment

Originally posted by tnb View Post
              To my mind, at least, the idea was precisely to create the kind of confusion to which the letter has been subject for the last 120 plus years. If the CNA had sent the letter straight onto the police then everyone - including, almost equally crucially, the press and the police - would have had a time for its composition - ie immediately before it was sent to the police.

Introducing the 'please hold it back' element muddies the waters, by suggesting it could have been received by the CNA any time previous to that, including the intriguing (and saleable ) possibility that it was written before news of the murder hit the streets.

Moore has been suggested as an alternative to Bulling previously; certainly it is very unlikely it was written, by whomever if not by Moore himself, without his knowledge.

The real crucial question you need to ask yourself about this letter is why would the killer, were it he, send it to the Central News? How would he even get hold of their address? First choice would surely be the police, second choice the press directly, why would a pretty small organisation such as the CNA come into consideration? It would be like you firing off a letter to a newspaper but sending it to Reuters instead.
              Perhaps he thought by sending to the CNA would give him max exposure, perhaps he thought if he only sent to police they may not send out to the papers/public?

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by tnb View Post
                Hi Trevor,

But the letter was written, posted and received, before its author could have known that two more murders would shortly be committed. It was stated to have been received by the CNA on Thursday 27th Sept, but was definitely forwarded to the police on Saturday 29th, ie before the Stride and Eddowes murders.

It must have been sitting on a police desk waiting like everyone else on the planet for news of the latest murders to hit the streets. Whoever wrote it was banking on Annie Chapman not being the last woman in 1888 to be foully ripped in an almost unprecedented way and found with certain organs removed. And if this was a hoaxer, then whoever foully ripped Eddowes and removed organs from her presumably didn't know he was working to order. I can't think of any other case in history where a hoaxer and killer have worked so perfectly in tandem without knowing of each other's intentions.

It is also my belief that the author (hoaxer or killer) may have tried writing to the police already and got no reaction, hence the decision to try the CNA this time. It certainly had the desired effect, if that was to force everyone to sit up and take notice of the catchy 'trade name' and never forget it.

The crucial word 'last' in the subsequent postcard - 'Thanks for keeping back last letter' - is a slightly unnatural one to use if it was the first and only letter he had sent so far. 'Thanks for keeping back the letter', 'my letter' or even 'my first letter' would have been more natural.

Love,

Caz
                X
                Last edited by caz; 09-01-2010, 12:36 PM.
                "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post
                  Hi Trevor,

But the letter was written, posted and received, before its author could have known that two more murders would shortly be committed. It was stated to have been received by the CNA on Thursday 27th Sept, but was definitely forwarded to the police on Saturday 29th, ie before the Stride and Eddowes murders.

It must have been sitting on a police desk waiting like everyone else on the planet for news of the latest murders to hit the streets. Whoever wrote it was banking on Annie Chapman not being the last woman in 1888 to be foully ripped in an almost unprecedented way and found with certain organs removed. And if this was a hoaxer, then whoever foully ripped Eddowes and removed organs from her presumably didn't know he was working to order. I can't think of any other case in history where a hoaxer and killer have worked so perfectly in tandem without knowing of each other's intentions.

It is also my belief that the author (hoaxer or killer) may have tried writing to the police already and got no reaction, hence the decision to try the CNA this time. It certainly had the desired effect, if that was to force everyone to sit up and take notice of the catchy 'trade name' and never forget it.

The crucial word 'last' in the subsequent postcard - 'Thanks for keeping back last letter' - is a slightly unnatural one to use if it was the first and only letter he had sent so far. 'Thanks for keeping back the letter', 'my letter' or even 'my first letter' would have been more natural.

Love,

Caz
                  X

Hi Caz

It was stated to have been received by the CNA on Thursday 27th Sept, but was definitely forwarded to the police on Saturday 29th, ie before the Stride and Eddowes murders.

What was the CNA's reason for holding it back a few days before sending it to the police?
                  When was the letter postmarked?

Also, In trying to figure out why the CNA would hold it back before sending to the police I thought-- OK maybe it was hoaxed by someone like Bulling but his supervisor (or someone higher up) who was not in on it (who would have been the final decision maker on sending it to the police) decided not to send it right away. But it looks like it was actually Bulling who wrote and sent the police the letter that acompanied the DB letter. So what to make of that?

Once again, if the letter was a hoax- would not the whole purpose be to gain max exposure for the CNA and hence-Get the letter to the police ASAP?!?

If the letter is a hoax why hold it back? Anything could happen in the time they hold back the letter that could ruin the whole plan-including getting scooped by a rival or other reporter or even the killer himself?

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

But maybe they DIDN'T hold the letter back, but dated it to before the murder, once the murder had happened. It must be possible to disguise a good postmark , or fake one if you have access to ink and 'stamps'.

It's easy to say that the Police received the letter BEFORE the following mrder, and it sat on a desk -but it probably didn't.
                    http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

Hi Abby,

According to the superb Letters from Hell, by our very own Stewart Evans and Keith Skinner, the envelope bore a penny lilac stamp postmarked September 27th. The letter inside was dated the 25th (but of course it could have been written earlier or on the 27th at the very latest). The CNA claimed that it was initially 'treated as a joke'. It arrived with the police on the 29th, before the double event.

Rubyretro,

See above. Please - let's not have another police conspiracy theory here. This sort of thing is what is fast becoming a joke.

Love,

Caz
                      X
                      "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post
                        Hi Abby,

According to the superb Letters from Hell, by our very own Stewart Evans and Keith Skinner, the envelope bore a penny lilac stamp postmarked September 27th. The letter inside was dated the 25th (but of course it could have been written earlier or on the 27th at the very latest). The CNA claimed that it was initially 'treated as a joke'. It arrived with the police on the 29th, before the double event.

Rubyretro,

See above. Please - let's not have another police conspiracy theory here. This sort of thing is what is fast becoming a joke.

Love,

Caz
                        X
                        Thanks Caz
                        Thats what I thought.

Whats your opinion on my previous questions:

Once again, if the letter was a hoax- would not the whole purpose be to gain max exposure for the CNA and hence-Get the letter to the police ASAP?!?

If the letter is a hoax why hold it back? Anything could happen in the time they hold back the letter that could ruin the whole plan-including getting scooped by a rival or other reporter or even the killer himself?

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Hi Caz,

I realise I'm poking an unwelcome stick into a hornet's nest, but what exactly is it about the possibility of a police conspiracy/cover-up which is fast becoming a joke?

Regards,

Simon
                          Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Hi Simon,

Why exactly would the police be involved in a conspiracy and/or a cover-up?

c.d.

Comment

Hi CD,

Thanks for the stock response.

If I knew the answer I wouldn't have asked the question.

But why not a police conspiracy/cover-up? It would certainly explain a great number of things.

Regards,

Simon
                              Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Working...
                              X