The relationship between Thomas Cutbush and Supt. Charles Cutbush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The relationship between Thomas Cutbush and Supt. Charles Cutbush

The podcast from last Sunday - which I thoroughly enjoyed! - prompted me to resurrect some work I had done to try and investigate the alleged family relationship between Thomas Cutbush and Supt. Charles Cutbush.
    The first logical step was to compile as full a picture as I could of the family relationships of both men to see if there was any point of coincidence.
    As a start I have done some work on the family tree of Charles Cutbush - you can see the current result of this at

There is more to add but it will be published to that url
    I will be doing the same for Thomas Cutbush and will post the link for that tree and we'll see where we go from there
    Chris
    Last edited by Chris Scott; 02-05-2009, 02:22 AM.

The tree for Thomas Cutbush as it stands at present is at:

If anyone spots any errors or has any additions to either tree I would be very grateful if they could let me know
    Chris

Comment

Hi Chris

I looked at the family tree. Very nice. It looks like what you are saying is that no relationship has so far been established between Supt. Charles Cutbush and Thomas Hayne Cutbush except a coincidence of surnames, is that right?

Thanks in advance for replying.

Chris
      Christopher T. George
      Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
      just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
      For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
      RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Hi Chris S

I'll PM you.

Comment

Hi Chris
          As AP said in the podcast last Sunday, the purported relationship is based on the comment in the McNaghten memorandum when, discussing Thomas Cutbush, he writes
          "Cutbush was the nephew of the late Supt. Executive."

The use of the word "late" here does not mean dead - Cutbush did not die until 1896 and the memo was written in 1894
          Cutbush retired in August 1891, as reported as follows in the Reynold's Newspaper:
          "The retirement on a pension of Superintendent C H Cutbush, of the Metropolitan Police Force, is announced. He has been in failing health for some time past, caused partly by the many changes since the resignation of Sir E Henderson, five years ago. Mr Cutbush, who was one of the best known heads of the police, joined the force in December 1869 in the A Divisionunder the regime of Sir A Mayne."
          The suicide of Cutbush was reported as follows on 10 March 1896:
          "Mr G P Wyatt held an inquiry last night at Stockwell with reference to the death of Charles Henry Cutbush, aged 58 years, a retired police superintendent, who committed suicide by shooting himself with a revolver at his residence, No 3, Burnley Road, Stockwell, on Thursday last.
          Dr White, of 41 South Lambeth Road, said that he had been attending the deceased for some time past for insomnia and depression. He was subject to delusions.
          It having been stated that the deceased left the police force in 1891 owing to an affection of the brain, the jury returned a verdict of "Suicide during temporary insanity."

The exercise I'm doing is just to look at the family relationships of both men to see if there is any point of contact.

Robert
          Thanks for that:-)
          Last edited by Chris Scott; 02-05-2009, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Hi Chris

But then of course Macnaghten could have been just as inaccurate about that as saying Druitt was a doctor. Could it have been more that the police were afraid that there was a family connection rather than there actually was one?

Chris
            Christopher T. George

Comment

Hi Two Chrises

As far as I can tell, all the evidence shows that Thomas Taylor Cutbush (Thomas Cutbush's father) and Supt Cutbush were born six months apart in two different counties to two different pairs of parents, so while there might be some vague family link, they weren't brothers.

Comment

For Thomas to be a nephew of Charles Cutbush in the strict lineal sense of the word, and as both bore the name Cutbush, then Thomas's father, Thomas Taylor Cutbush, would have to be the brother of Charles Cutbush, of which there is certainly no indication.
                One other possibility (for which I know of no evidence to date) is that while in custody or in the asylum that Thomas claimed kinship with a high ranking policeman of the same name. But it seems logical that this would have been checked out and does not explain why McNaghten simply quoted it as if it were fact
                Chris

Comment

Chris, have emailed you re Broadmoor.

Comment

Hi All,

Excellent stuff. This is research at its very best.

When it comes to Jack the Ripper nothing would surprise me about the ineptitude of the LVP police, but even I am flabbergasted to think that Macnaghten didn't take the trouble to ensure Thomas and Charles Cutbush were actually related before penning his memorandum.

Mind you, MM also said MJD was a doctor and, six years after the event, didn't know Ostrog had been in a Parisian jail throughout the WM. So God knows what he got wrong about Kosminski.

What a copper! Let's hope MM was a better plantation manager.

Regards,

Simon
                    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Hi Simon

Just to put AP's view here (since he's not here to do it himself) : AP's convinced that "something funny" must have been going on with Supt Cutbush and Thomas's family, and that there was some sort of close relationship.

Comment

Thanks Robert,

AP's hunch makes a lot of sense.

I'll try him at the other place.

Regards,

Simon
                        Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                          Hi Simon

Just to put AP's view here (since he's not here to do it himself) : AP's convinced that "something funny" must have been going on with Supt Cutbush and Thomas's family, and that there was some sort of close relationship.
                          Supposition is not sufficient though, is it? There is much about the Ripper case that we can "suppose" and be wrong about it. As SPE noted in discussing the Macnaghten report aka memoranda over at JtR forums, "The note that 'Cutbush was a nephew of the late Supt Executive' is appended almost as an afterthought, or merely a note of interest."

Chris
                          Christopher T. George

Comment

Not to mention that AP's babbling on the subject is as rife with inaccuracies as the MM itself. For example on the podcast he declared that Mcnaghten was hardly likely to mistake a relationship between the two Cutbushes since he could have just "knocked on the next door and asked Cutbush" completely overlooking the fact that Macnaghten apparently didn't even know the living status of Cutbush at the time, having referred to him as the late Supt. And regardless, Cutbush had already retired by that time.

So as with most of APs fantasies based on his stories, it's best to take it with a grain of salt.

Let all Oz be agreed;
                            I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Originally posted by Ally View Post
                              Not to mention that AP's babbling on the subject is as rife with inaccuracies as the MM itself. For example on the podcast he declared that Mcnaghten was hardly likely to mistake a relationship between the two Cutbushes since he could have just "knocked on the next door and asked Cutbush" completely overlooking the fact that Macnaghten apparently didn't even know the living status of Cutbush at the time, having referred to him as the late Supt. And regardless, Cutbush had already retired by that time.
                              Of course, it's a valid point about Charles Cutbush having retired. But to be fair, the word late could be used to mean "former"; in fact I think that's the natural reading of Macnaghten's comment.

Comment

Working...
                              X