Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - by ChrisGeorge 20 minutes ago.
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - by Abby Normal 49 minutes ago.
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - by ChrisGeorge 1 hour and 13 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by MrBarnett 1 hour and 20 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by RockySullivan 2 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by MrBarnett 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (29 posts)
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - (15 posts)
Non-Fiction: Jack the Poet - (2 posts)
Thompson, Francis: Jack the Poet - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Kosminski, Aaron

View Poll Results: Is Kosminski the best Ripper suspect?
Yes 25 28.09%
No 48 53.93%
Maybe? 16 17.98%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2015, 07:14 AM
Cadet

I put no.

Of course I'm not sure,none of us are, but I think there are better suspects that him- Kelly, Hyams, Levy to name but 3.

Aaron seems a bit to young to be the ripper- as does Kaminsky/Cohen. The youngest age given by a witness was 28. These men were five years younger than that. Unless none of those witnesses saw the ripper...........

Plus his behaviour in the asylum doesn't seem right for someone who could inflict that kind of violence on another human being. he seems to placid.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:47 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Darrell View Post
Aaron seems a bit to young to be the ripper- as does Kaminsky/Cohen. The youngest age given by a witness was 28. These men were five years younger than that. Unless none of those witnesses saw the ripper...........
Hi Mrs Darrell

None of the witness got a good look at there suspects and were largely in the dark except perhaps Mrs Long.

The various description, given the various attires and hats give a large scope to estimate someones age.... Without knowing what Kozminski looked like, and I would suggest that Inspector Cox gave the best description, Kozmninski can not be dismissed in this way.

Quote:
Plus his behaviour in the asylum doesn't seem right for someone who could inflict that kind of violence on another human being. he seems to placid.
This is not exactly true.

With what we have surviving of the asylum records, which largely relate to Kozminski's health not mental condition we know he was aggressive at Colney Hatch..

He was considered incurable and thus transferred to Leavesden where all the records mysteriously disappeared only the later journal surviving which documents his slow death following schizophrenic burn out

Yours Jeff
Old 04-13-2016, 06:59 AM
Sergeant

I wonder if they doped him up with anything, or gave him any treatment? They dont mention it, but they could have been recorded on doctors notes...

Pat.....
Old 04-13-2016, 08:22 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
I wonder if they doped him up with anything, or gave him any treatment? They dont mention it, but they could have been recorded on doctors notes...

Pat.....
Probably not on any kind of regular basis. The options were limited to narcotics and sedatives, both expensive. Unless he was violent or uncontrollable, they were not likely to waste the money on a non paying client. They might give him a shot of morphine or barbiturates if he started to rage, make it easier on the orderlies, but not much else. There wasn't much else.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:49 AM
Constable

I voted maybe as I'm not too sure at the moment, I have to admit I find it hard to entertain the idea that a guy who ate from the gutters and t***ed off too much was able to butcher a number of women and baffle the police, press and public in the way that the Ripper was able to do.

But who knows maybe the fact that he lived in Whitechapel, in the vicinity of the murders, and had a possible hatred of prostitutes could swing the balance in his favour.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:00 PM
Inspector

I voted "maybe" also. It's possible he was just railroaded into being the Ripper by authorities looking for a likely fall guy ("foreign" of course); or it's possible he did have the violent tendencies to slice them all to death.
---------------
Old 04-13-2016, 12:19 PM
Commisioner

I voted no. but hes number 6 in my top tier of most viable candidates.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 04-13-2016, 12:22 PM
Assistant Commissioner

The problem with the question is it asks is he the best.
he is certainly a very good suspect, and i personally have voted yes, but I qualify that by saying, that is, it may not have been Aaron, maybe some like him.
unfortunately the shawl nonsense may have coloured some peoples view to discount him altogether, I think that is a mistake.

Since 1988 he has gone around in my top 3, most of the time in my top 2.

steve
Old 04-13-2016, 12:25 PM
Commisioner

Would be in my top 5, probably around number 3.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:15 PM
Inspector

Quote:
I put no.

Of course I'm not sure,none of us are, but I think there are better suspects that him- Kelly, Hyams, Levy to name but 3.

I wouldn't expect him to be violent outside of his sphere of action, and certainly not in an asylum; but then I wouldn't expect a serial killer to threaten a member of his family with a knife.

I would say that he is one of the best given Swanson's views but I wouldn't fancy him as Jack, and the top man on the ground didn't fancy him either. I can fully see why he would think Chapman was a better bet, despite the change in MO, than a man who resorted to eating out of gutters. Serial killers tend to be fully functioning on the outside.