Jack The Ripper - Michael Caine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack The Ripper - Michael Caine

If my memory serves me correctly and it probably does not the Michael Caine version of Jack The Ripper was quite big in the Media back in 1988. I think I can remember reading that not even the actors knew what the outcome would be as various endings were filmed.

My question is are any of these endings available to see? Not sure if they were ever included as 'extras' on DVDs etc.... thanks.

Originally posted by Geddy2112 View Post
    If my memory serves me correctly and it probably does not the Michael Caine version of Jack The Ripper was quite big in the Media back in 1988. I think I can remember reading that not even the actors knew what the outcome would be as various endings were filmed.

My question is are any of these endings available to see? Not sure if they were ever included as 'extras' on DVDs etc.... thanks.
    Hi Geddy

First the movie "Jack the Ripper" starring Michael Caine as Chief Inspector Abberline was a TV series not a movie made for theatrical release. Albeit it was a two-part series. The production is available on DVD from Amazon on a demand basis. Go here. I might be wrong but with the film dating from 1988, I doubt if the DVD has extras such as alternate endings. Perhaps someone else could address that question though.

Best regards

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
    just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
    For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
    RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

The producer/writer David Wickes is featured on the Rippercast episode http://www.casebook.org/podcast/listen.html?id=140 he talks about the alternate endings but no one seems to ask who they featured or if they still exist.

I have to say it's a tad disappointing to hear that their whole premise for Gull being the Ripper was the sole fact Ackland signed his death certificate and are still happy with this conclusion 30 years on.

Wickes also laying into Joseph Sickert for talking crap when he has accused a dead man of ghastly, horrible, obscene murder because his son-in-law signed his death certificate is rather gulling....er I mean galling.
      Last edited by DirectorDave; 10-06-2016, 05:59 PM.
      My opinion is all I have to offer here,

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
        Hi Geddy

First the movie "Jack the Ripper" starring Michael Caine as Chief Inspector Abberline was a TV series not a movie made for theatrical release. Albeit it was a two-part series.
        I did not say it was a movie/film did I?

I can remember vividly watching it on ITV when it was released. Was never happy about the cart wheels changing into that vile face... eghhh.

I wonder if the endings were truly made or just to add to the hype..lol

Comment

Just trying to be a tad helpful here mate. I didn't know what your experience was with the original Michael Caine production but I was filling you in just in case you didn't know.
          Christopher T. George
          Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
          just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
          For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
          RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
            Just trying to be a tad helpful here mate. I didn't know what your experience was with the original Michael Caine production but I was filling you in just in case you didn't know.
            You are more than helpful. I think I was about 17 or so when it aired and for some reason really got to me, fake horror I could watch all day with as much blood and guts as you like but 'true' horrific deeds always seem to cut me up for want of a better term.
            I can remember trying to pause the VHS to see what was seen through Miller's Court window, it only flashed on for a very brief second.. lol Thanks again.

Comment

Re the podcast and the other endings I too had the same thought Geddy.

A little search and I noticed there's a German Blu Ray release that has deleted scenes.

Then I found a site with more info on the Blu Ray. 20 minutes of deleted scenes are included. The annoying thing is that it's what I call "fake widescreen". The original 4:3 aspect ratio has been cropped to fit the modern TV's widescreen 16:9 ratio. So it might be higher definition but it's not all there if the 4:3 picture is cropped.

I can't find info about the DVD release and if that includes the deleted scenes or not.

I can't help but think the other endings were probably still tied to the Gull story, rather than other suspects such as Druitt, Kosminski etc.
              These are not clues, Fred.
              It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
              They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
              And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
              We will not.

Comment

Hi Ozzy...thinking about the narrative and screentime I would imagine Lees, Mansfield, Ackland, Lusk, Llewellyn and possibly Netley were being set up as the also-rans.
                Last edited by DirectorDave; 10-07-2016, 02:45 PM.
                My opinion is all I have to offer here,

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.

Comment

Indeed it will not have been other 'suspects' as they were never mentioned in the production so I agree with DirectorDave that it will have been Lusk, Mansfield etc... you saw them all leaving a house etc just as they went to set up and catch 'Jack.'

Comment

A new Blu-ray just came out, and it is from UK publisher Network and the disc is Region B. Both the wide-screen and full-screen versions are included, and the video was remastered from the original negative, and it does look pretty good, but some shots' color temperature is a little off, IMO. English subtitles are available, and thanks to them, I finally know what the word "mucher" is (since all earlier DVD/Blu-rays do not have English subtitles). The director audio commentary from the old UK DVD is NOT included on this Blu-ray, sadly. A 22-minute bonus feature of deleted scenes is included, and it is the same content from the old UK DVD and the German Blu-ray mentioned earlier: several video-taped scenes with Barry Foster as Abberline before he was replaced by Michael Caine. There are no "alternate endings," folks, and I doubt we will ever see them. They may have been thrown away afterwards by the filmmakers. We would have seen them by now if copies still exist. They may not even have existed in the first place. The director might have shot the scenes with the camera turned off and the actors might not have even noticed. As long as he could fool the actors, he didn't need to actually shoot the scenes.

Comment

Working...
                    X