• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
    In New York good writers are respected.

In Paris all writers are respected.

In London no writers are respected.

In Grimsby you have to explain what a writer is.
    In Waking, a "writer" is a teel yeezed to cut greeves in a block of wid. (Translation: "In Woking, a router is a tool used to cut grooves in a block of wood".)
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
      In Waking, a "writer" is a teel yeezed to cut greeves in a block of wid. (Translation: "In Woking, a router is a tool used to cut grooves in a block of wood".)

Ho, ho, ha, Sam!

Estuaryspeak! Reminds me of dear old Alan Coren explaining how to speak Sloanie, as in:

How to pronounce the name of a popular rock band:

1] a boundary comprising wooden or metal vertical elements driven into the ground at regular intervals;

2] marks left upon a perfectly good white waistcoat by the accidental spillage of a glass of decent claret.

Add [1] to [2] and you have 'Railing Stains'.

It makes my flesh creep when I hear a simpering lovely in a BBC costume drama say, "But yeee yeeeesed tee love me!"

Cheers,

Graham (Brummie and proud of it - OK, pal?)
      We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Hi Graham

Who's for poonch?

(Garrick impersonating Dr. Johnson)

Oi cum frm Buuurrrrrrmingummm.

(Me impersonating a Birmingham person)

London 'kids' nowadays speak modified Jamaican patois.

Me garn.
        allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
          Graham (Brummie and proud of it - OK, pal?)
          Quite right, too! As a final aside on this thread, I'll never forget a rather attractive Slain ("Sloan"), with whom I was at college, swaggering into the common reem ("room") proudly showing off her meen-beets ("moon-boots"). What a silly fad that was. The lingo, I mean, not the "beets".
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

What Gwarn
            (Which supposedly means whats going on)

Evertime I visit London, I am always asked were Hull is, until it was No 1 in Crap Towns and everyone knows were it is.

There was also a TV show voting it the worst city in the uk, and a few weeks later the presenters actually came to Hull to hand out awards at a ceremony, several local councillors turned up to get an apology
            Regards Mike

Comment

Does anyone know where the Salvation Army hostel is/was, and where the scenes with the homeless drinking meths were filmed?

Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
              The Salvation Army Home was on Whitechapel Road, between the current Booth House and what was the Foundation Grammar School.

JB
              Thanks for your help.......Can anyone help with the other locations?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve-D View Post
                Thanks for your help.......Can anyone help with the other locations?
                Which ones specifically?

JB

Comment

Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
                  Which ones specifically?

JB
                  The scenes after the Salvation Army Hostel - the homeless people drinking meths - I think it might be Brick Lane area but I'm not sure

Comment

First lot is ChristChurch Gardens (Itchy Park) and the main bit, with the unconvincing punch-up, is indeed outside the Fournier Street Synagogue (as was) near the corner of Brick Lane.

JB

Comment

Thanks very much.

Comment

And the footage of 29 Hanbury Street was shot outside 14 Fournier Street.

PHILIP
                        Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                          JB,

You are almost certainly correct regarding Kathleen Manning as being the lady in the James Mason film, if that was made in 1967.

As I said in a previous post, I'm not completely sure precisely when I was in Hanbury Street, but obviously before No 29 was demolished. There must have been something to make me think that someone was still living there.

At any rate, there was no way I was going to open that door!!

Cheers,

Graham
                          Maybe of interest wink wink this newspaper article- fascinating read this old thread my sort of thing!! Cheers
                          Will not let me upload the newspaper article however Bill & Kitty Loughlin lived on top floor since 1946!!! Kitty would be Kathleen one would think

Comment

Buck's Row appears in a 1020s film 'Lights of the City' or something? I may well be wrong.

Comment

Another movie worth looking out for is
                              Sparrows Cant Sing 1963
                              A lot of that movie was filmed around the E1 area, you do see Commercial Street, Wentworth and Goulston street.
                              I’m sure the eagle eyed amongst us would spot other areas of interest.
                              It was on YouTube a few years back, unfortunately it’s not now.

Comment

Originally posted by Yabs View Post
                                Another movie worth looking out for is
                                Sparrows Cant Sing 1963
                                A lot of that movie was filmed around the E1 area, you do see Commercial Street, Wentworth and Goulston street.
                                I’m sure the eagle eyed amongst us would spot other areas of interest.
                                It was on YouTube a few years back, unfortunately it’s not now.
                                Cracking film that encapsulates the period!! A Stella line up of stars or to be stars!!
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X