Patrick Hickie 1881 Painter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patrick Hickie 1881 Painter

Patrick was an impoverished painter, who had a penchant for writing letters.
    Here is an example:

'This was headed "Death," with a drawing of a pistol, a skull and bones, and a tombstone inscribed, "In memory of Buckshot Foster, M.P. R.I.P.""London, 14th July, 1881.'

Remind us of anything?

8th October 1888:
    Attached Files

Comment

From one of his other letters, as read to the Old Bailey by Littlechild:

'You ought to watch him. He is tall, wears a soft American hat, long overcoat, with velvet cuffs and collar, and dark pants. You will see by the letter that he is to do

See original
      the act on Sunday next. Look after him at once, before it is too late. I am, dear Sir, AN HONEST ENGLISHMAN."

That surely is a description of the man seen with Kelly on the night of her murder?

Comment

Gee----thats an image that cheers you up

Comment

Yes AP,that definitely calls up Mr fur collar and cuffs! So who was he and ----did he go to prison or what?
          Most intriguing

Comment

Yes, Natalie, he went to prison, but he was released well before 1888.
            We have two letters now, written in 1888, that directly reflect the letters Patrick was writing in 1881, and both of them are illustrated.
            The 'Skull & Crossbones' and the 'Astrakhan Man'.
            I do believe that me old mate Cornwell is arguing that these 1888 letters were in fact written and illustrated by Sickert, but you'll be pleased to hear that I believe these letters were in fact written and illustrated by Patrick Hickie.
            Who was an artist.

Comment

Working...
            X