Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1888 policemen

Hi all!
    I would be intrested to know any information concerning the average policeman of the JTR period.

1. Could almost anyone become one?

2. Was it well paid compared to other common employment? ( ie portering, market traders ,ect )

3.Did they get any proper training?

Many thanks for any imfo.

Spyglass

1) It was common for those with a Military background to be taken on but in theory yes. However they had to pass certain requirements and had their references thoroughly checked out.

2) It depended on their class. Most started at 4th Class and worked their way up annually to 1st class, with a rise each year. All this depended on conduct and misconduct could result to a reversion back down. In 1889 PC Frederick Holland City 814, on 3rd Class of pay, was earning 25 shillings per year. In 1886, whilst 2nd class he was on 28 shillings. PC Pearce of Mitre square was earning 31 shillings and 6d at the 1st class rate in 1884.

3) Depends what you mean by that. They were shown the ropes, taught the rules and regulations, given a reference book covering those rules and regulations, issued with uniforms and equipment. They were chaperoned on there beats until it was felt the new Constable could do the patrol by themselves. On average it took around a month for a PC to be declared fit for service howver some took a lot longer. This due to numerous things from a struggle to grasp the job to misdemeanours (ie reporting for duty whilst drunk)

Cheers
    Monty
    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Originally posted by spyglass View Post
      Hi all!
      I would be intrested to know any information concerning the average policeman of the JTR period.

1. Could almost anyone become one?

2. Was it well paid compared to other common employment? ( ie portering, market traders ,ect )

3.Did they get any proper training?

Many thanks for any imfo.
      More than half the Met were ex-army or other services.
      Force Candidates’ requirements
      Under 35 years of age (youngest 18, usually 20)
      Clear 5’7” without shoes, 5’6” for Thames Division
      Free from bodily complaint and strong constitution equal to expected duties
      Application in writing, supplying testimonials (2 respectable housekeepers (owners) & previous employers. Generally intelligent, ‘easy reading, writing, arithmetic’ Examination of the 4 rules of arithmetic, writing from dictation.
      1) enquiries by Insp. 2)check all signatures authentic 3) Antecedents +employers +addresses
      4) if unemployed for more than 1 month enqs. as to living on savings or by friends support
      C.O. enquiries by Commissioner. for ex-servicemen
      No married men with more than 2 children
      1 not to carry on any other trade, nor his wife to keep a shop
      2 serve & reside where appointed
      3 Police dress all times when on duty (armbands), may wear plain clothes when off duty (unless directed)
      4 Obey all lawful orders from persons in authority (overtime)
      5 Obey all regulations of service
      6 Pay all debts
      7 1/- deducted when sick. 8 deducted 1/- extra if unmarried. 9 both if lodgings provided.
      10 box 30x8.5x14.5 flat top to be provided
      11 Pay each Wednesday for w/e Sunday previously
      PCs pay on appt. 24s p/w, 2nd class 27s p/w, 1st class 30s p/w
      Appointments: 2 greatcoats, 2 helmets, 2 dress tunics, 1 armlet, 1 cape, 1 whistle, 2 pr. trousers, 1 lantern guard, 2 pr boots, 1 belt, 1 truncheon & case.
      Coal allowance 20lbs p/w, 40 in winter, all married men & single men ‘living out’

The pay and allowances compared well with many civilian clerical posts at the time and were I believe better than army pay.

Training was mostly 'on the job', starting with 'learning beats' in the company of more senior PCs (still a hated task for them, even when I joined in 1966!). Studies of General Orders during time off was expected, with probationers being regularly quizzed by sergeants and inspectors.

N.B. in 1887 the carrying of truncheon cases was abolished although typically recruits were still issued with them and fined if they could not produce them for inspections!!

Comment

I think PC Roadnight is far more qualified than I.

I must point out Im looking a City Police and, forgive me if Im wrong PC, PC is refering to the Metropolitan force.

Not that there was much difference.

Monty
        Monty

Comment

MONTY
          PC ROADRIGHT

Thank you both for your input, I now have a good understanding of the average 1888 bobby.

Comment

Hi Spyglass,

Take a look at the thread "London police(re-opened)". It is a good resource for the met and city police of 1888.
            Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Hi Monty,

"In 1889 PC Frederick Holland City 814, on 3rd Class of pay, was earning 25 shillings per year."

That works out to less than 6d. a week, about enough to pay for a night in a doss house [4d.] and buy a cup of tea in the morning.

Rgds
              John

Comment

Originally posted by John Savage View Post
                Hi Monty,

"In 1889 PC Frederick Holland City 814, on 3rd Class of pay, was earning 25 shillings per year."

That works out to less than 6d. a week, about enough to pay for a night in a doss house [4d.] and buy a cup of tea in the morning.

Rgds
                John
                I think, John, that it should read 25 shillings per week otherwise they would be joining the beggars instead of arresting them!

Comment

PC Roadnight,

Fascinating stuff. Didn't they get a rattle as well?

Best wishes,

Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by PC Roadnight View Post
                    I think, John, that it should read 25 shillings per week otherwise they would be joining the beggars instead of arresting them!
                    D'Oh,

Yes....indeed, apologies.

Monty
                    Monty

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Russell View Post
                      PC Roadnight,

Fascinating stuff. Didn't they get a rattle as well?

Best wishes,

Steve.
                      Rattles were replaced by the whistle in 1884 in the Met (& City I believe, well they wouldn't want to be left behind would they! ) though some provincial forces kept them just into the 20th Century. Liverpool Police are generally credited with first issuing the whistle in 1882.

Comment

PC,

The City didnt get their whistles till 89 I believe.

They certainly didnt have them in 88 as Watkins testified such at Eddowes inquest.

Monty
                        Monty

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                          PC,

The City didnt get their whistles till 89 I believe.

They certainly didnt have them in 88 as Watkins testified such at Eddowes inquest.

Monty
                          Thanks Monty,
                          Surprising! I wonder if they kept their rattles, perhaps for night duty. Do you know of any mention of them?

Comment

Thanks Monty,
                            Surprising! I wonder if they kept their rattles, perhaps for night duty. Do you know of any mention of them?
                            None PC. Nor have I seen any photos with them. Not to say they werent though.

Ex Met PC, and nightwatchman for Kearley & Tonge, George Morris used his own whistle (which I suspect he kept back from when calling for assistance in Mitre Square. Most nightwatchmen had them and I suspect the City PCs went to the nearest one for help.

Also, I know lamps were used as a signalling device for help. See PC Neal re Polly Nichols.

Cheers
                            Monty
                            Monty

Comment

25 shillings (£1.25) in those times would buy the same as about £75 today. £60 (excluding housing costs) is presently the minimum level of welfare support for a single person (aged over 25) in Britain, although the official poverty line today is way above that of the incomes of the improverished masses in the 1880's. Police officers were probably quite well off in those days by comparison with them, but £75 today is well below the statutory minimum wage!
                              Last edited by clair; 03-26-2010, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X