X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack an Alcoholic?

Was Jack an Alcoholic?

Hello John,

An interesting question but one that is very difficult to answer. We don't even know if Jack drank at all let alone whether or not he was an alcoholic. I think the best we can do is speculate that he might have frequented the pubs perhaps buying drinks for his victims but that is in no way an indication of alcoholism.

c.d.

Comment

Hi, John,

It's entirely possible Jack was an alcoholic, but whether he indulged in regular drink might depend upon his circumstances. For instance, homeless suspects like Francis Thompson wouldn't have been able to afford gin too often.

Are you looking at this idea for a possible reason for the apparent changes in skill level of the mulitations?
      Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
      ---------------
      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
      ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
        Hi, John,

It's entirely possible Jack was an alcoholic, but whether he indulged in regular drink might depend upon his circumstances. For instance, homeless suspects like Francis Thompson wouldn't have been able to afford gin too often.

Are you looking at this idea for a possible reason for the apparent changes in skill level of the mulitations?
        To PC Dunn

Well it was suggested in another thread that atleast one of the victims may have been an alcoholic however I have long believed Jack was an alcoholic and that different levels of inebriation may have effected how much perceived skill has been attributed to the different C5 murders. Its worth noting that alot of serial killers tend to have drink problems' and alot commit murder under the influence.

Cheers John

Comment

Statistically, serial killers tend not to be substance abusers.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
            Statistically, serial killers tend not to be substance abusers.
            To Harry

Really I'd like to see these statistics?

Cheers John

Comment

Originally posted by John Wheat View Post
              To Harry

Really I'd like to see these statistics?

Cheers John

Comment

Serial Killer Statistics Data
                Number of classified Serial Killers worldwide since 1980 154
                Number of classified Serial Killers in the U.S. since 1980 87
                Number of active serial killers at any given time in the U.S. 35
                Number of serial killer suspects currently on the FBI list 271
                Percent of serial killers who experienced problems related to substance abuse 72.5 %
                Last edited by Geddy2112; 05-15-2016, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Don't drink and mulitate?

To PC Dunn

Well it was suggested in another thread that atleast one of the victims may have been an alcoholic however I have long believed Jack was an alcoholic and that different levels of inebriation may have effected how much perceived skill has been attributed to the different C5 murders. Its worth noting that alot of serial killers tend to have drink problems' and alot commit murder under the influence.

Cheers John
                  Hello, John,

I will readily agree that drunkeness may lead to violence, whether in the bar-room or the home, but a drunken serial killer might not be that common. At the same time, it is not improbable that modern serial killers (particularly those which are now imprisoned) would report substance abuse.

Do you think Jack might have been an alcoholic, yet was sober when he stalked and killed his victims?
                  Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                  ---------------
                  Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                  ---------------

Comment

Hello, John,

I will readily agree that drunkeness may lead to violence, whether in the bar-room or the home, but a drunken serial killer might not be that common. At the same time, it is not improbable that modern serial killers (particularly those which are now imprisoned) would report substance abuse.

Do you think Jack might have been an alcoholic, yet was sober when he stalked and killed his victims?
                    To PC Dunn

I think Jack would have been a functioning alcoholic in as much as alcohol not effecting him too much while murdering except that some of his mutilation may have been effected by him being sloppy in some of the cutting with some of the C5.

Cheers John

Comment

Hello, John,

Originally posted by Geddy2112 View Post
                      http://www.statisticbrain.com/serial...-demographics/

Serial Killer Statistics Data
                      Number of classified Serial Killers worldwide since 1980 154
                      Number of classified Serial Killers in the U.S. since 1980 87
                      Number of active serial killers at any given time in the U.S. 35
                      Number of serial killer suspects currently on the FBI list 271
                      Percent of serial killers who experienced problems related to substance abuse 72.5 %
                      Thanks Geddy2112

These stats back up my point that alot of serial killers were/are alcoholics.

Cheers John

Comment

Many serial killers come from broken homes where there was substance abuse involved. That doesn't mean they WERE alcoholics, etc. later in life.

Comment

Many serial killers come from broken homes where there was substance abuse involved. That doesn't mean they WERE alcoholics, etc. later in life.
                          Fair point Harry. However I believe Jack was an alcoholic.

Cheers John

Comment

Fair point Harry. However I believe Jack was an alcoholic.

Cheers John
                            But you believe Bury was the Ripper, don't you? So that kind of goes without saying.

Comment

But you believe Bury was the Ripper, don't you? So that kind of goes without saying.
                              To Harry

Yes but it would explain the perceived differences in skill in the cutting in some of the C5. Besides I thought you regarded Bury as the strongest suspect?

Cheers John

Comment

Working...
                              X