Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
General Discussion: A little assistance with a research project....... - by The Station Cat 11 minutes ago.
General Police Discussion: Leaving one's beat - by The Station Cat 14 minutes ago.
Scene of the Crimes: Miller's Court Demolition Photo - by richardh 42 minutes ago.
General Discussion: A little assistance with a research project....... - by The Station Cat 45 minutes ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: ORIGINAL doors in Miller's court - by richardh 2 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: ORIGINAL doors in Miller's court - by richardh 3 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - (16 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: ORIGINAL doors in Miller's court - (14 posts)
General Discussion: A little assistance with a research project....... - (5 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (4 posts)
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - (3 posts)
General Police Discussion: Leaving one's beat - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Maybrick, James

Old 02-13-2018, 12:14 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post
Hi All,

This is all very fascinating.

Who put the diary under the floorboards in the first instance?

Regards,

Simon
Nobody.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:43 AM
Detective

Just passing this along from KS. Apologies for the slight delay on this one.

TO JOHN G.

Thank you John and swiftly responding to one of your points in #960.

Maybrick’s signature does not appear in the Diary and neither does the surname Maybrick appear anywhere in the narrative. It is signed ‘Jack the Ripper’. It is only by deductive reasoning that the author of the Diary has been identified as James Maybrick.

Best Wishes
Keith
Old 02-13-2018, 08:12 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Hi Iconoclast,

So Maybrick signed the diary, got up from his sick bed, fetched a claw hammer, tore nails out of a floorboard, prised it up, secreted the diary [biscuit tin optional], hammered the floorboard back into place without attracting any attention, and then returned to his sick bed to die?

Have I got this scenario vaguely correct?

Regards,

Simon
I think that's what some are suggesting
Old 02-13-2018, 10:11 AM
Commisioner

Hi John,

You don't sound too convinced.

Regards,

Simon
Old 02-13-2018, 10:47 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Hi Iconoclast,

So Maybrick signed the diary, got up from his sick bed, fetched a claw hammer, tore nails out of a floorboard, prised it up, secreted the diary [biscuit tin optional], hammered the floorboard back into place without attracting any attention, and then returned to his sick bed to die?

Have I got this scenario vaguely correct?

Regards,

Simon
Erm, how would I know, Simon? I'm not in the habit of observing the dying days of a Liverpool cotton merchant living in the late Victorian period, I'm afraid.

Can anyone who was there in Battlecreasde House help Simon out on this one, guys?

Mad Ike (but not that mad)
Old 02-13-2018, 10:48 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_J View Post
Just passing this along from KS. Apologies for the slight delay on this one.

TO JOHN G.

Thank you John and swiftly responding to one of your points in #960.

Maybrick’s signature does not appear in the Diary and neither does the surname Maybrick appear anywhere in the narrative. It is signed ‘Jack the Ripper’. It is only by deductive reasoning that the author of the Diary has been identified as James Maybrick.

Best Wishes
Keith
Hi Keith,

Many thanks for the reply and the clarification you provide.

This is really interesting. My source was the Daily Telegraph, 6th August, 2017: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...irmed-genuine/

Robert Smith is quoted as saying: "Barrett had a highly impetuous nature. Just seeing or being told about the signature at the end of the diary would have been enough for him to reach for the phone."

I had assumed that he'd been referring to Maybrick's signature, but obviously not. In fact, presumably he was referring to the assertion at the end of the diary, "I give my name that all know of me, so history do tell, what love can do to a gentle man born. Yours truly, Jack the Ripper."

Smith also goes to claim that Mike wasn't very literate, and that his only literacy achievement was to write occasional puzzles for a children's magazine.

This is, of course, obviously incorrect, because he also wrote articles for a celebrity magazine, although they may have been "tidied up" by Anne.

Last edited by John G : 02-13-2018 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:16 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by John G View Post
This is, of course, obviously incorrect, because he also wrote articles for a celebrity magazine, although they may have been "tidied up" by Anne.
As discussed elsewhere all Mike Barrett's literary achievements including the Photo album would have been before his stroke.

We are judging him after a brain injury...saying "Mike Barrett is not very literate" may be like saying "Michael Schumacher is a bad driver".

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:31 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirectorDave View Post
As discussed elsewhere all Mike Barrett's literary achievements including the Photo album would have been before his stroke.

We are judging him after a brain injury...saying "Mike Barrett is not very literate" may be like saying "Michael Schumacher is a bad driver".
But is there any confirmation that he'd had a stroke? If so, when did this incident occur? Did he say whether he'd suffered a major stroke or a transient ischemic attack?

I would note that Mike was a colourful character who, according to Shirley Harrison, made a number of extraordinary claims after the affidavit: that he was a member of MI5; that he'd foiled an IRA attack; that he'd been awarded the Queen's medal for gallantry; that he was dying (within the next hour); that he was impotent; that he had cancer; and that he was going to live in Russia and America.

Last edited by John G : 02-13-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:50 AM
Commisioner

Hi Ike,

How do you think the diary got under the floorboards?

Regards,

Simon
Old 02-13-2018, 12:11 PM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by John G View Post
But is there any confirmation that he'd had a stroke? If so, when did this incident occur? Did he say whether he'd suffered a major stroke or a transient ischemic attack?
Neither, he simply said a stroke and he mentions it twice.

As David Osram pointed out in another thread it is mentioned in "Inside Story on page 67"

"Barrett in particular had not been bearing up very well. Harold Bough, who had first contacted him back in April [1993], had seen a dramatic change, as he reported in the Liverpool Daily Post of 28 September 1993. Only forty-one, Barrett had aged visibly over the last few months and now walked with a stick, the result, he told Bough, of a stroke which left him with limited use of his right side and which blamed on the stresses and strains involved in living with the Ripper story."

Quote:
I would note that Mike was a colourful character who, according to Shirley Harrison, made a number of extraordinary claims after the affidavit: that he was a member of MI5; that he'd foiled an IRA attack; that he'd been awarded the Queen's medal for gallantry; that he was dying (within the next hour); that he was impotent; that he had cancer; and that he was going to live in Russia and America.
That's fine, I accept he could have been faking it....but if he was he was playing the "long game" doing it and going to the trouble of "walking with a stick" and "limited use of the right side" and somehow "ageing visibly".

I would have thought for the "Diaryists" that him faking it is far more problematic to their cause and if he did in fact have a stroke as it could be used to cover any gaps in his story or even some of his behaviour.

Stroke or no stroke it brings even more problems for people who claim this is anything other than a modern forgery.

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.

Last edited by DirectorDave : 02-13-2018 at 12:40 PM.