Does anything rule Bury out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Harry D View Post
    Ellen Bury's body was mutilated shortly after her death. That's the most telling thing for me. I could understand Bury panicking before deciding on his next move, but his first instinct was to brandish a knife and start mutilating the body. That's a rare paraphilia for a killer, and yet it's one he shared with another killer who lived in the East End in the autumn of 1888.
    Except the East End killer couldn't stop mutilating the body, practically demolishing his victims and leaving their viscera on display. In contrast, Bury barely inflicted a handful of flesh-wounds on his wife before stuffing her in a box.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
      Except the East End killer couldn't stop mutilating the body, practically demolishing Mary Kelly and leaving her viscera on display. In contrast, Bury barely inflicted a handful of flesh-wounds on his wife before stuffing her in a box.
      Which ties into my theory that Bury's mind was unraveling. I'm looking for a logical explanation for Bury as the Ripper. Killing his wife might have been the last straw, hence his decision to visit the police instead of making a break for it.

Comment

If I remember rightly, policemen were put on guard at the flat after the murder, so kids couldn't have done it.

Serial killers have been known to unravel and become architects of their own demise. The graffiti "confession" and his pathetic cover story at the police station could've been the actions of a serial killer who'd simply given up the ghost.

Ellen Bury's body was mutilated shortly after her death. That's the most telling thing for me. I could understand Bury panicking before deciding on his next move, but his first instinct was to brandish a knife and start mutilating the body. That's a rare paraphilia for a killer, and yet it's one he shared with another killer who lived in the East End in the autumn of 1888.
        I agree. It's one of the main reasons for me on bury.

Comment

Which ties into my theory that Bury's mind was unraveling. I'm looking for a logical explanation for Bury as the Ripper. Killing his wife might have been the last straw, hence his decision to visit the police instead of making a break for it.
          Similar to kemper IMHO. Who also just happened to be a post mortem mutilator and killed a family member his mother as one of his last victims. And then contacted police.

Comment

Except the East End killer couldn't stop mutilating the body, practically demolishing his victims and leaving their viscera on display. In contrast, Bury barely inflicted a handful of flesh-wounds on his wife before stuffing her in a box.
            slightly different circumstances sam. It's his wife, they're in his house, probably drunk off his ass. Drunken row precipitated it most likely.

Re the abdominal wounds-To me it's like the boy(as in postmortem mutilator) just couldn't help it.

Comment

Which ties into my theory that Bury's mind was unraveling.
              The problem is, we could play the same Joker to justify anything that doesn't fit the signature of the canonical mutilation murders. (Not just with Bury, of course; there are many suspects where the "He was nuts!" card is played to get a theory out of a tight spot.)
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                slightly different circumstances sam. It's his wife, they're in his house, probably drunk off his ass.
                Alcohol surely doesn't affect a man's performance to that degree, Abby

Joking apart, drunk or not, the real Ripper would have really gone to town on Ellen Bury... and he wouldn't have garotted her first, either.
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Well, Kelly's body was certainly "demolished." However, the earlier victims were more skilfully mutilated; and Dr Phillips' argued that the motive, at least in Chapman's case, was the removal and possession of a body organ, I.e. not the destruction of the body.

Comment

Alcohol surely doesn't affect a man's performance to that degree, Abby

Joking apart, drunk or not, the real Ripper would have really gone to town on Ellen Bury... and he wouldn't have garotted her first, either.
                    Did he "go to town" on Nichols, Chapman, Stride and Eddowes, assuming they were all kicked by the same person? Again, this argument is more applicable to Kelly and possibly Tabram, another frenzied attack.

Comment

• Originally posted by John G View Post
                      Well, Kelly's body was certainly "demolished." However, the earlier victims were more skilfully mutilated; and Dr Phillips' argued that the motive, at least in Chapman's case, was the removal and possession of a body organ, I.e. not the destruction of the body.
                      True; my original post only referred to Mary Kelly, but I edited it to throw it wider. That said, Nichols, Chapman and Eddowes were much closer to the "demolished" end of the spectrum than Ellen Bury. Compared to Kelly, who was also killed indoors, Ellen got off incredibly lightly.
                      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• Originally posted by John G View Post
                        Did he "go to town" on Nichols, Chapman, Stride and Eddowes, assuming they were all kicked by the same person?
                        Compared to Ellen, yes, he went to town on those women. Not Stride, though, as I don't believe she was a Ripper victim; even if she were, she wasn't mutilated anyway.
                        Again, this argument is more applicable to Kelly and possibly Tabram, another frenzied attack.
                        Kelly, I'd say, more than Tabram. Kelly was killed indoors, as was Ellen Bury, and neither the manner of their deaths, nor their mutilations, even begin to compare.
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

This is the problem, Sam. People have preconceived ideas on how the Ripper should have acted. He wasn't caught, so none of us can state authoritatively what he would or would not have done. There is logic to what you are arguing, but I also think that a serial killer (and substance-abuser) who was losing his grip on everything might also have behaved in the manner I've presented.

Slicing the throat was a practical choice. Killing women in a public space where anyone could hear them scream out required a swift death. It also facilitated exsanguination so that he could raid the innards without making too much of a mess. William Beadle makes the point that the throat-cutting was unnecessary in Ellen Bury's case.

Comment

This is the problem, Sam. People have preconceived ideas on how the Ripper should have acted.
                            It's not so much about preconceived ideas, it's just a case of going with what we know that he did.

Incidentally, that last bit is a key point: "what he did". I'm sticking to the results of the killer's actions - i.e. the physical evidence - rather than making assumptions about the motives behind his actions or his state of mind. Motives and the mind leave no fingerprints
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

It's not so much about preconceived ideas, it's just a case of going with what we know that he did.

Incidentally, that last bit is a key point: "what he did". I'm sticking to the results of the killer's actions - i.e. the physical evidence - rather than making assumptions about the motives behind his actions or his state of mind. Motives and the mind leave no fingerprints
                              How do you know what "he" did? It's not even proven how many victims belong to "him".

Comment

How do you know what "he" did? It's not even proven how many victims belong to "him".
                                By "the killer", I'm talking about killers generically. As in "the farmer tills the soil" - I'm not referring to one particular farmer, and I'm certainly not suggesting there's only of them.

So, I meant "the killer of Nichols", "the killer of Chapman", "the killer of Stride", "the killer of Archduke Ferdinand", "the killer of John Lennon" (etc)

In each case, I look at what "he" (or it could be a "she") did to the victim, and I try not to make assumptions about the killer's state of mind.
                                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Working...
                                X