Maidman Street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maidman Street

Can't find Maidman Street on Google Map. Can someone tell me if there a new name for this street, or if it disappeared, where was it located ?
    Thanks by advance, EJ.

Hi

Maidman Street disappeared in the 1970s. It's now covered by a park.
    Here's a map from 1908 showing the location.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Maidman Street.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	658494

Rob

Comment

Thank you very much, Rob.

A bit far of the usual Ripper's locations, isn't it ?

Comment

I think so. I discount Wilson as an early Ripper attack anyway, but there is a gap of several months between Wilson and Tabram/Nichols so you never know.

Rob

Comment

You mean Millwood ? Tabram's murder was after Wilson's attack, wasn't it ?

Comment

Yeah, I did mean Tabram which was about 5 months after Wilson's attack. Annie Milward was about a month before Wilson.

Rob

Comment

Sorry, misread your post

Comment

No worries.

Rob

Comment

It is interesting from this map to see how close Maidman Street was to South Grove workhouse, where at the time of the attack (on Ada Wilson), Annie Millwood was recuperating from her own attack the month before.

Rob H

Comment

Hi Rob,

very interesting, indeed.
                    I've written a short (fictional) text in French about that - assuming the Ripper was responsible in both cases, of course.
                    There had been a short period of time, during which the Ripper could be satisfied:
                    1-Annie died, lastly.
                    2-Ada was said to be dying (according to the papers, she couldn't recover)

Then suddenly, all fell down.
                    1-Ada recovered.
                    2-Dr Arthur said Annie died by natural causes.

Amitiés,
                    David

Comment

Do we know that Annie Milward was sent to the Whitechapel Union Infirmary at South Grove in Bow - or was she sent to the one on Baker's Row in Whitechapel? Where both in use at the same time?
                      This has bearing on the Ada Wilson case as it provides a possible reason for the Ripper being in the vicinity of Maidmans Street.

Comment

Annie Milward was admitted to the Whitechapel Union Infirmary, Bakers Row on Saturday 25 February 1888. She was discharged from there on 21 March 1888 and sent straight to the Whitechapel Union Workhouse, South Grove, where she died on the 31 March 1888.

Rob

Comment

Here's where Maidmans Street used to be, today in the snow - looking east from Regent's Canal. It is now part of Mile End Park. Until a few years ago quite a few of the old roads remained, criss-crossing the park long after the houses had been knocked down. Maidmans Street went ages ago though. Now all the roads have all been obliterated.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X