Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh, Murder!

As I see it, there are at least four possible interpretations:

1. It was gasped by Mary Kelly during the attack.

2. It came from someone who discovered the murder.

3. Someone said it, but it was completely unrelated to the case.

4. Prater's account can be chalked up to an instance of suggestibility. Having found out that a murder had occurred the night before, Prater's memory was primed. The night before, something startled her and the cat at 4 am. But by the morning (and the info), she quite unintentionally recollected some other noise as "Oh, Murder!" That is, her mind played a trick on her.

As previously stated by others (including myself), "Oh, Murder!" is an odd thing to say upon being attacked by Jack the Ripper. On the other hand, discoverers of previous victims (Nicholls, Chapman, Stride) immediately went searching for the police. If #2 is true, why did the person not come forward. #3 is problematic to me because it just seems like too much of a coincidence. In the end, I think it is either #1 or #4. What do others think?
    Mary Kelly
    77.78%
    An Unknown Person Who Discovered the Body
    0%
    Who Cares? It Happened but is Completely Unrelated
    18.52%
    Nobody. Prater's Mind Played a Trick on Her
    3.70%

Hello Barnaby!

I think, that it was either MJK herself or something related to someone else!

The problem is; why there are no records about a simultaneous incident in the same neighbourhood?!

All the best
    Jukka
    "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Hi,

I'm not allowed to vote yet, however my choice would be Mary Kelly, with alternative #2 as a second guess. But the point has already been made: why wouldn't that person come forward?

Greetings,

Addy

Comment

Hi every one.

I think it was MJK who said "Oh, Murder" i also think she was asleep when he attacked her and awoke to a figure looming over her. I also agree that it seems unlikely the call came from someone in the vicinity. If that was so, why did they not go to the police?

katt

Comment

Hi Katt, and welcome,

I think it was MJK who said "Oh, Murder"
          That is most probably what happened, I agree.

i also think she was asleep when he attacked her and awoke to a figure looming over her.
          A possibility...

I also agree that it seems unlikely the call came from someone in the vicinity. If that was so, why did they not go to the police?
          People in this area didn't bother when they heard such calls. As stated by Mrs Reeves and the Hewitts, in August.
          Had Mary shouted out "Jack the Ripper !!"...

Amitiés,
          David

Comment

Thank you for the welcome.

ah, that explains it then. Yes i think "jack the ripper" would have been better to shout out. Although if i heard someone shout that even now i think i would run very far away!

katt

Comment

Originally posted by Kattx View Post
              Although if i heard someone shout that even now i think i would run very far away!

katt
              I wouldn't, thinking of the reward.

Seriously, I think Mary hadn't enough time to realize it was the Ripper, especially if, as in my opinion, she knew the man very well.

Amitiés,
              David

Comment

Hello you all!

Well, if she suddenly woke up to an attack, she didn't have a second to think about, who it was! Not to mention about the content of her cry for help!

All the best
                Jukka
                "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Good idea. i say we find him you go first i'm right behind ya We will split the reward 50/50 what do ya say.
                  And yes i feel mary knew him too.

katt

Comment

Originally posted by Kattx View Post
                    Good idea. i say we find him you go first i'm right behind ya We will split the reward 50/50 what do ya say.
                    And yes i feel mary knew him too.

katt
                    Hello katt, all,

I must say yes to the probability that MJK called out... and yes, I am inclined to believe she knew her killer.

best wishes

Phil
                    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                    Accountability? ....

Comment

Well, if she suddenly woke up to an attack, she didn't have a second to think about, who it was! Not to mention about the content of her cry for help!
                      yes i agree with that. I don't know why I thought she was asleep, it is just a feeling. Since it was early in the morning and even prostitutes need sleep at some point. Unless they slept during the day.

katt

Comment

Perhaps she should have screamed "Fire!"

Comment

I think someone was walking through miller's court saw the fire going, looked inside, saw Mary's body, and ran like Hell from what he saw...

Comment

Originally posted by Gman992 View Post
                            I think someone was walking through miller's court saw the fire going, looked inside, saw Mary's body, and ran like Hell from what he saw...
                            That is a poosibility but you have also got to think about what david said. Was there a reward for the capture of the ripper? I'm not certain, but if there was they would surely run to the police to get that reward.

katt

Comment

another case

Hello All. Although I have no strong views about "Oh, murder!" I am interested in the claim that "Murder!" was a common cry.

Here is an example of one such case.

And it would not be "Ripperology" if there were not a coincidence or two. Hence, the ginger beer bottle and the lady making her living as an "unfortunate" may bring a smile.

(Snippet from "Putney and Wandsworth Borough News" September 22, 1888. Proceedings involve the Wandsworth court.)

Cheers.
                              LC
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X