The Devil in a Domino 1897

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Devil in a Domino 1897

The article below is a damning review of a novel titled "The Devil in a Domino - A Realistic Study" by Charles L'Epine (a pseudonym), a fictional treatment of the Whitechapel murders published in 1897. The author names his fictional Ripper as Aleck Severn.
    Anyone know anything about this very early fictional treatment and if a copy survives?
    Chris

The Glasgow Herald
    20 December 1897
    Attached Files

Don't know if it's the same chap, Chris, but "Charles l'Épine" seems to have been one of the pseudonyms used by an obscure French/Canadian writer, Edouard Narbonne. Not that I've found out much about him, either.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Like Gareth, I had made the connection with Narbonne, but I'm not at all sure that it's the same guy. Drat. Now I have to look for The Devil in a Domino secure in the knowledge that Stewart will beat me to the only extant copy.
      Last edited by The Grave Maurice; 09-22-2008, 02:38 AM.

Comment

They don't seem to like it much, do they? I can't seem to find details of this publisher at all...anyone?
        best,

claire

Comment

Hi Claire
          I found this mention which gives the publisher's address

Greening's first book, The Wheel of Life; a few Memories and Recollections, which comprised articles by Clement Scott from the Whitehall Review on places Scott had visited at home and abroad, was advertised in March 1897 (1/- [one shilling] net, Library Edition in buckram with gilt top 2/-). It was published by Lawrence Greening, of 5 Earl's Court, Cranbourne St., W.C., and printed by the Free Press Printing Company of Brixton and London.

Advertisements and notices record the progress of Greening's publishing. For Christmas 1897 were announced Yule Tide Tales; The Favourite Christmas Annual at 6d. [sixpence]; 'Chas L'Epine's' The Devil in a Domino: a Realistic Study, at 1/-; and a 6/- novel 'of Bohemian life', Fame the Fiddler: a Story without a Plot, by actor-turned-journalist Shaffo Justin Adair FitzGerald (also 'Justin Hannaford'). During 1898 the firm issued The Pottle Papers by 'Saul Smiff' (Tristam Coutts), 'humorous and interesting sketches of lower middle-class life in Camden Town' with L. Raven-Hill's illustrations, which was reprinted later in the year. Christmas brought Coutts' A Modern Christmas Carol (6d.), Gustave Dore's Chimes and Times, and novels by already published authors, now forgotten. Mrs. Albert S. (Annie) Bradshaw produced The Gates of Temptation, a Natural Novel, and Clement Scott Madonna Mia and other Stories.

Comment

I also can only find the name Charles L'Épine in connection with Edouard Narbonne.
            Chris

Comment

Thanks for that, Chris. Interesting that there were some quite prominent (for the time) names that may well have involved some decent advances. Possible, of course, that they would also publish this pretty obscure Narbonne chappy...I wonder if checking out his known works and contracts might lead somewhere.

Thanks again
              best,

claire

Comment

Working...
              X