• Show
Clear All

• Arthur Morrison and a photograph of the Ripper

Found this cryptic and unexplained comment
    I will post the whole article when done

New York Sun
    24 September 1902
    In article about Arthur Morrison

The announcement of a new novel by Arthur Morrison awakens more than ordinary interest. His first work, "Tales of Mean Streets," made a decided sensation, and his subsequent work has not been disappointing. Therefore "The Hole in the Wall" will have an eager hearing....
    He was living in Whitechapel during the Jack the Ripper days and saw the photograph of the real criminal before the police obtained it.

I think that this may refer to the plot of the book. You can read it here:

I've just skimmed it, but it is set in the East End, and does appear to be about a boy who finds a mysterious photograph, which eventually leads him to a killer of prostitutes.

Comment

Hi Christine
      Thanks for the message
      Here is the article below which I think makes it clear that the Ripper comment refers to Morrison himself and not the book plot
      regards
      Chris
      Attached Files

Comment

Interesting. It does seem that way. But the plot of "The Hole in the Wall" is clearly related--it's a about a boy whose grandfather runs a notorious hangout for criminals. Sounds semi-autobiographical. Maybe if someone read through the book he or she could match the book's ripper to a known suspect.

Are there any known suspects (East End types only) who were photographed with their mothers?

Comment

Working...
        X