No announcement yet.

Casebook Examiner No. 4 (October 2010)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caz, there are three two-word infinitives in Latin - the future infinitive active and passive, and the perfect infinitive passive. The present infinitive active and passive and the perfect infinitive active are only one word.

Winston Churchill said that ending a sentence with a preposition was something up with which he would not put.

Comment

Hi Robert,

Trust you! When I was sixteen I had a bit of a photographic memory so I was able to rely on it to get through my Latin translation papers.

Hi Norma,

Many thanks, but now I'm seriously blushing. The whole team and all the contributors put a lot of love and time into this. At the meeting I was probably explaining to you why I had been absent from the boards more than usual (particularly the A6 threads where I see the main one has added another fifty pages since my last catch-up!) and why the bags under my eyes had turned into suitcases.

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
      Hello Caz.

"In Latin, of course, an infinitive is a single word so splitting it would not have applied in Rome anyway."

Precisely. And that is why we must not separate them. What Cicero hath joined together let no man put asunder.
      Hi Lynn,

To be fair, we do separate them, with a space between, for example, 'to' and 'tally'. If we joined them to count filberts it would be 'totally' nuts.

I rest my [nut]case.

Love,

Caz
      X
      "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

trial separation

Hello Caz.

"To be fair, we do separate them, with a space between, for example, 'to' and 'tally'."

Cute.

Very well. Just don't "seperate" them. Promise?

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

Working...
        X